Katz: Southerland lets team down | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Katz: Southerland lets team down

Unfortunately, the coach does not foster a culture in which players are required to take public responsibility for off-court behavior.

This is Syracuse, not Binghamton. Some of you act like the program is completely out of control. If you go back to when we came off probation, there's been - on average - one off-court incident per year. That's probably the case with most Division I teams.

He probably screwed up but maybe he didn't. There are a lot of things that could have led to his suspension that weren't his fault. I think it's a little bizarre to be blaming someone when we don't know that he did anything wrong and if he did, what it was.

To your last post, maybe you didn't understand why I lol'ed. Yes, undoubtedly there's a reason he got suspended. There's a reason for everything. It normally goes without saying but you said it.

If there's a reason for it, there is something that southerland should be held accountable for.

Unless, this was directly on on Kissel... And if that is the case than Syracuse university for making southerland(student athlete) look bad while covering for Kissel (grown man) and saying he left for family reasons.

If they want to get me really hot... Let that be the case.

i like andy katz he does a great job and don't think he shows hate towards the cuse like doug gotlieb does and wonder what he says &thinks about it ..

Katz needed to write a column. Southerland's situation appears to be low hanging fruit. In the end, he appears to have no additional facts and is assuming this situation is similar to previous issues related to the team.

It seems a bit lazy to me. He'd do better to wait until he has the facts before jumping to conclusions.

He hasn't shot the ball as well since going 9-for-13 for 35 points against Arkansas on Nov. 30, going 15-for-55 on 3-pointers since that game.
it's a little more nuanced than that. the games immediately after Arkansas were cupcakes where he played limited minutes and didn't get a chance to get into a rhythm, and he went 8/24 (33%) over the next five games.

the real slump came in the six games beginning with temple, when he has been 7/31 (23%) with plenty of minutes and opportunities.

I will note that these were the games that occurred after the end of the first semester & the posting of grades. It may be that James has known this was hanging over his head, and the eligibility issue was a factor in the shooting slump.

If he straightens whatever it is out, it might be a case of killing two birds with one stone - get him back on the court & end the slump in one action.

I will note that these were the games that occurred after the end of the first semester & the posting of grades. It may be that James has known this was hanging over his head, and the eligibility issue was a factor in the shooting slump.

It's possible, but it's also possible that he's a streaky shooter. For his career he's right around 36%, give or take.

I hope you're right, but it seems morel likely he's just finding his level. It's not so much that we're losing a lights out 3 point shooter as much as we're missing one of our few solid 3 point shooters.

it's a little more nuanced than that. the games immediately after Arkansas were cupcakes where he played limited minutes and didn't get a chance to get into a rhythm, and he went 8/24 (33%) over the next five games.

the real slump came in the six games beginning with temple, when he has been 7/31 (23%) with plenty of minutes and opportunities.

If he straightens whatever it is out, it might be a case of killing two birds with one stone - get him back on the court & end the slump in one action.

and get cooney, dc2 and grant more minutes and more confidence whiles hes out and hopefully more ready to contribute come march. is it possible to kill 3 birds with 1 stone?

It's possible, but it's also possible that he's a streaky shooter. .

all shooters are streaky, so that is kind of a meaningless point. nobody shoots a robotic 40% game in and game out.

you can never prove a counterfactual, but I believed he was going to have a 40% year.

Katz needed to write a column. Southerland's situation appears to be low hanging fruit. In the end, he appears to have no additional facts and is assuming this situation is similar to previous issues related to the team.

It seems a bit lazy to me. He'd do better to wait until he has the facts before jumping to conclusions.
well said. More than a bit of presumption in Andy's editorial

all shooters are streaky, so that is kind of a meaningless point. nobody shoots a robotic 40% game in and game out.

you can never prove a counterfactual, but I believed he was going to have a 40% year.
Bjorn can do it.

I don't buy the NDP suggestions. If the NCAA or SU were to suspend a 5th year senior over initial eligibility issues I think it would more or less fly in the face of everything they purport to be trying to do with giving kids an opportunity to use athletics to earn an education. Anything that happened in prep or high school is water long ago under the bridge by the time you get to being within a semester of graduation. He could have falsified all of his course work back then and as long as he has completed legitimate course work at SU why would anyone even care at this point?

Actually, it was mayor Carmine De Pasto's daughter
Good call, that's why the googles stunk!
Sarah Holcomb, also noted for Caddyshack fame playing Danny Noonan's girl, Maggie.
Looks better in Animal House clearly, was 18 years old, even though she played a 13 year old. Oh Pinto, how did it get so far?

8096.gif

Good call, that's why the googles stunk!
Sarah Holcomb, also noted for Caddyshack fame playing Danny Noonan's girl, Maggie.
Looks better in Animal House clearly, was 18 years old, even though she played a 13 year old. Oh Pinto, how did it get so far?

8096.gif
I just watched that last night,

I don't buy the NDP suggestions. If the NCAA or SU were to suspend a 5th year senior over initial eligibility issues I think it would more or less fly in the face of everything they purport to be trying to do with giving kids an opportunity to use athletics to earn an education. Anything that happened in prep or high school is water long ago under the bridge by the time you get to being within a semester of graduation. He could have falsified all of his course work back then and as long as he has completed legitimate course work at SU why would anyone even care at this point?
Good point, although today's accepted approach for potential violations is for the university to over-react and then appeal the NCAA. It wouldn't surprise me if that's what's going on here.

Yeah, of course. But I'm just saying that he was very much in line with his career levels even after the really bad spell he had. So maybe he was, like I said, just finding his level.

Let's hope we get a chance to find out if you were right about the 40% thing.