Katz: Waiters in play for Cleveland at 4 | Syracusefan.com

Katz: Waiters in play for Cleveland at 4

im honestly blown away by waiters rise. i get it, i think he is awesome, but to go from late teens to early lottery after the season? meteroic rise.

im honestly blown away by waiters rise. i get it, i think he is awesome, but to go from late teens to early lottery after the season? meteroic rise.
His game spoke for itself in the workouts.

If Dion was a starter and got 33+mpg here he would have been a top 6 pick easy. Most scouts only got a glimpse of his talent while he was here because we had 2 other talented guards and plenty of capable scorers around him. Word around the circuit was if you had a 1-on-1 tournament between every draft eligible guard, DW would win.

I wouldn't be surprised if he is traded on draft night to a team like the Lakers or OKC for Harden or Pau Gasol. It's just a feeling but there is something big behind the "promise" and this late moving up the board for a guy who shut it down 2 weeks ago smells of a deal that couldn't be consummated to draft day.

I wouldn't be surprised if he is traded on draft night to a team like the Lakers or OKC for Harden or Pau Gasol. It's just a feeling but there is something big behind the "promise" and this late moving up the board for a guy who shut it down 2 weeks ago smells of a deal that couldn't be consummated to draft day.

Would not be surprised by this either. An Irving/Waiters backcourt is too small. Same with Irving/Beal, imo.

It is all kind of strange but the Warriors never even worked Dion out and by all reports Jerry West has been pushing the front office to take him if hes available. Just throwing that out there since somehow Dion is rising after shutting it down 2 weeks ago.

I think this is misinfo. Either way it's awesome to see Dion's name in the top 5.

Seriously, good for Waiters. He was labeled after his Freshman season as a selfish, moody, me-first player. Then he worked hard, matured, relished his role as 6th man for a Top 5 Syracuse team in his Sophomore season, showed everyone else why HE always thought he was so good, and proved it to those that mattered. He proved he could be a team player. Then he went in, did a couple workouts, blew everyone away, cancelled any remaining workouts, and now he has GMs and NBA teams pushing each other out of the way to fight for his services. His agent deserves a big fat bonus for the way he's handled Waiters over the last couple months, and Dion has set himself up so nicely. Gotta hand it to him.

Syracuse's Dion Waiters drawing interest from Cavaliers at No. 4 in NBA draft

The Cavaliers haven’t been able to get Waiters to visit Cleveland for a workout and meeting with officials, but it hasn’t extinguished management’s ever-evolving fascination with choosing Waiters at No. 4 – especially if the Cavaliers are unable to secure Florida guard Bradley Beal.
Cleveland has intensified its background checks on Waiters, and sources in direct contact with Cavs officials believe Waiters would be the franchise's choice over Kansas’ Thomas Robinson should the Charlotte Bobcats select Michael Kidd-Gilchrist at No. 2, and the Washington Wizards take Beal at No. 3.
Because Waiters, a 6-foot-5 combo guard, had a promise later in the lottery, he stopped making visits to teams highest in the lottery. Nevertheless, Cleveland still believes it has strong intelligence on Waiters, an explosive scoring guard the Cavs can pair with Rookie of the Year Kyrie Irving.

I always felt it was a short sighted move by his Agent to have him stop with a later lottery pick promise. His workouts always look impressive. He couldn't really hurt himself. Hopefully it turns out for the best.

Why would draft a player that refused to workout for you unless you plan on trading him? This is all smoke and mirrors until tonight
Either way it's a higher paying draft slot for him.

Still think he goes #7 to GS.

Would be amazing if Fab drops to Miami at #27... he could earn good PT immediately... and play on a title competitor for years to come.

personally, I think Dion is going to be a beast in the league.

In retrospect you have to wonder how things would be shaping up had Dion been a starter last year. Obviously it is impossible to argue with the results of last years season at Cuse with Waiters coming in off the bench. Until we see what actually transpires tonight it's difficult to say to what extent his not having been a starter has affected the perception of him. Obviously there are NBA people who appreciate what he brings to the table. I'd love to see him go @ 4.

I always felt it was a short sighted move by his Agent to have him stop with a later lottery pick promise. His workouts always look impressive. He couldn't really hurt himself. Hopefully it turns out for the best.
That's why I think this Cleveland things has legs. There is no way he goes higher than 4, so if Cleveland loved him and made the promise, he'd have no reason to workout anymore.

Just because the consensus around the media is that Beal will be the first guard drafted, doesn't necessarily mean the Cavs like him over Dion.

Either way it's a higher paying draft slot for him.
It never about a players first contract. It is ALWAYS better to slide a few spots if that puts a player in a better situation for their second contract. That is where the real money is

It never about a players first contract. It is ALWAYS better to slide a few spots if that puts a player in a better situation for their second contract. That is where the real money is
AKA playing time. I think playing time would be abundant with the rumored main suitors (Cle, Tor, GSW).

I think it's pretty hard to second guess how he and his agent have played this. Dion obviously went in and smoked some other guards in the one-on-one workouts, and shot the ball well. Game over.

I think it's pretty hard to second guess how he and his agent have played this. Dion obviously went in and smoked some other guards in the one-on-one workouts, and shot the ball well. Game over.
It may turn out great. Just think it was a gamble at the time. Hypothetically, if he has a great workout with the Suns at the 13 pick vs Beal. How do the Cavs at 4 know that they should pick him when they get the chance if they never see it? It's a risk one that albeit might payoff.

AKA playing time. I think playing time would be abundant with the rumored main suitors (Cle, Tor, GSW).
No not playing time. Wes is getting playing in a system that doesn't fix his skill set and it is hurting his career. You need a good system for your skill set and TP. I don't like his fit in Cleveland, GSW and Tor are better fits for him IMO.

His game spoke for itself in the workouts.

If Dion was a starter and got 33+mpg here he would have been a top 6 pick easy. Most scouts only got a glimpse of his talent while he was here because we had 2 other talented guards and plenty of capable scorers around him. Word around the circuit was if you had a 1-on-1 tournament between every draft eligible guard, DW would win.

I'm not trying to say that it isn't about his skills. But I can assure you that it's his attitude and toughness that are fueling his rise.

44cuse

Let's stop dancing around the obvious: Dion has the confidence, skill, and character to make the best of wherever he lands. He has already shown that. His number in the draft only predicts his first year's salary.