Katz: Waiters in play for Cleveland at 4 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Katz: Waiters in play for Cleveland at 4

As a Cavs' fan, I must say I think this was the best possible pick for Cleveland given the situation Charlotte put them in by taking MKG instead of Robinson. I think the Irving-Waiters backcourt is going to be explosive.

As a Cavs' fan, I must say I think this was the best possible pick for Cleveland given the situation Charlotte put them in by taking MKG instead of Robinson. I think the Irving-Waiters backcourt is going to be explosive.

I respect your opinion as a Cavs fan, but having Dion go to a team with one of the worst owners in the league is not what I wanted for a SU guy. And this coming from a W's fan who wanted him which is one of the worst franchises in the league.

Selfishly I wanted him on the W's. But both of these teams suck and I'd rather the SU guys finally go have some success on good teams.

44cuse

You're the first Cavs fan that I've heard that isn't furious with how the draft went last night. Taking Waiters over Barnes wasn't a huge deal (although I personally think Barnes will be a much better player), but trading 24, 33, and 34 for 17 was absolutely insane. Could have had Barnes/Drummond, PJIII, Doron Lamb, and one of the Quincy's or something.

You're the first Cavs fan that I've heard that isn't furious with how the draft went last night. Taking Waiters over Barnes wasn't a huge deal (although I personally think Barnes will be a much better player), but trading 24, 33, and 34 for 17 was absolutely insane. Could have had Barnes/Drummond, PJIII, Doron Lamb, and one of the Quincy's or something.

Barnes is soft. He doesn't have a killer instinct. Dion has that in spades.

Barnes is soft. He doesn't have a killer instinct. Dion has that in spades.

I think that's what makes Barnes a better NBA player. Barnes will accept his role much easier than Waiters will. Irving is THE man in Cleveland. Waiters won't be.

Edit: Actually, I don't think Barnes is soft. I just think he's a smarter player and doesn't try to force the issue like Waiters tends to. Same reason I think Jeremy Lamb will be a better pro than Waiters.

Dion will be a star! His ability to get to the rim and finish with both hands will make a 20pt scorer next year. Irving will play great together. You can't put your best defender on both of them someone will have a miss match every night.

I think that's what makes Barnes a better NBA player. Barnes will accept his role much easier than Waiters will. Irving is THE man in Cleveland. Waiters won't be.

Edit: Actually, I don't think Barnes is soft. I just think he's a smarter player and doesn't try to force the issue like Waiters tends to. Same reason I think Jeremy Lamb will be a better pro than Waiters.

How is Barnes different than Wes Johnson?

How is Barnes different than Wes Johnson?

How is Barnes similar to Wes Johnson?

Johnson could catch and shoot, or he could catch, take a step, and dunk. That was it. But teams fell in love with his physical gifts and his potential so he was taken highly.

Barnes was a great all-around scorer. He scored well in isolation situations, catch and shoot, post-up situations, etc. He's a cerebral player that knows how to get good shots and doesn't rely on his athleticism to score points the way Wes did. And he's a pretty good defender in his own right. Johnson had more potential than Barnes did, but he never lived up to it. I think Barnes is a safe bet to end up being a 14-18 PPG guy that also gives you decent defense at the next level.

How is Barnes similar to Wes Johnson?

Johnson could catch and shoot, or he could catch, take a step, and dunk. That was it. But teams fell in love with his physical gifts and his potential so he was taken highly.

Barnes was a great all-around scorer. He scored well in isolation situations, catch and shoot, post-up situations, etc. He's a cerebral player that knows how to get good shots and doesn't rely on his athleticism to score points the way Wes did. And he's a pretty good defender in his own right. Johnson had more potential than Barnes did, but he never lived up to it. I think Barnes is a safe bet to end up being a 14-18 PPG guy that also gives you decent defense at the next level.

Wow, that's pathetic. Johnson was an excellent 3 point shooter, he led the team in blocked shots, I believe, and was a great help side defender, and he had athleticism that matches Barnes.

Look below and tell me, who was who?

Season GP MPG PPG FG% 3FG% FT% APG RPG BPG SPG
XXXXXX 38 29.2 17.1 44.0 35.8 72.3 1.1 5.2 0.3 1.1

XXXXXX 35 35.0 16.5 50.2 41.5 77.2 2.2 8.5 1.8 1.7

Wow, that's pathetic. Johnson was an excellent 3 point shooter, he led the team in blocked shots, I believe, and was a great help side defender, and he had athleticism that matches Barnes.

Look below and tell me, who was who?

XXXXXX 38 29.2 17.1 44.0 35.8 72.3 1.1 5.2 0.3 1.1

XXXXXX 35 35.0 16.5 50.2 41.5 77.2 2.2 8.5 1.8 1.7

I already know the bottom guy was Wes. Those statistics don't show the kind of player that they were at all though.

What did I say above that was incorrect? I said Wes could catch and shoot. He could. I said he could catch, take a step, and dunk. He could. He couldn't create a shot for himself if his life depended on it. And he had good potential as a defender, but that was still a question mark because he played in the back line of the zone.

Barnes is a far more polished basketball player. Johnson was a high-risk high-reward pick.