KD and AD = 'overrated' 1 and dones | Syracusefan.com

KD and AD = 'overrated' 1 and dones

FRANKIEFAN

Hall of Fame
With Carmelo these 3 are the consensus best freshmen ever. It really pisses me off when people say Davis and Durant were better freshmen than him.

Davis had a team that would have won without him. You put 5 star Wiltjer in his spot in the starting lineup they still win it all.

Durant's Texas team was WAY worse than Rick Barnes squad the year before and after. They lost 10 games and got pantsed badly by USC in the round of 32. Year before they were Elite 8 same with the year after he left. Roster was loaded with talent of course 5 star after 5 star just like Davis's UK team.

2003 Syracuse is an NIT team without Carmelo.

I think people must be influenced by the NBA success when making those comments. Most lists I've seen will have Melo on top, because of the national title.

If you're looking at a freshman who put up huge numbers for a successful team, someone like Derrick Rose would be much more appropriate. He lost the title on a buzzer beater, and Memphis was certainly not stacked compared to the other teams like Kentucky.

Obviously Melo will be all of our favorites and winning it all gives him an argument that works against anyone. Durant though was the best freshman I've ever seen and the numbers seem to confirm it. The stats and efficiency is remarkable. Kevin Durant College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Here's one that most people will forget about but another one of the best that I recall. 26 and 12 as a Freshman is crazy.

It was a joke then that Ford won POY over Carmelo.

I think you have to put Zion in the conversation as well though.

And didn't a freshman lead Louisville to one of the titles it won in the 80s?

This take is wrong but I really despise it because it shts on the rest of the team (and coach) and gives fuel to hot take d-bags who like to Dismiss JB because “Carmelo gave him that title” or “that team was just Carmelo.”

I saw Michael Beasley play at Jimmy V Classic back in 2008. Doubleheader with him and then D Rose vs OJ Mayo.

Beasley was amazing. thought he would be a HOF NBA player
That guy always looked like he just got finished smoking two blunts, and was looking for a third.
On-court, though, he was crazy good. As a freshman, he reminded me of Glen Big Dog Robinson as a Junior.

Repeating was probably unlikely given how much of a juggernaut UConn was that year, but with Billy I think 2004 could have been a fringe Final Four team.

not nearly enough outside shooting on that squad, IMO

Anthony Davis is the greatest OAD ever.
Carmelo is second.

The rest don’t care to go thru.
Anthony Davis won
Naismith POY
National Defensive POY
Won NC
Won Final 4 MOP
Was 1st pick in the draft.

He had a better Freshman year than Melo.

Melo is the second best OAD though.

If we beat Alabama we give UConn a game in the 2004 Elite 8.

We had just beat them at the Dome on McNeil’s Senior Day 3 weeks before.

That UConn team would have been favored but we have a chance.
I don’t think we beat Duke in the 2004 Final Four.

I do believe we beat Georgia Tech.

I saw Michael Beasley play at Jimmy V Classic back in 2008. Doubleheader with him and then D Rose vs OJ Mayo.

Beasley was amazing. thought he would be a HOF NBA player

He had the talent to be one. But he liked pot more.

If we beat Alabama we give UConn a game in the 2004 Elite 8.

We had just beat them at the Dome on McNeil’s Senior Day 3 weeks before.
I do believe we beat Georgia Tech.

If I remember correctly, Okafor was hurt in the game in the Dome with a bad back and barely played, and they stomped us pretty good in our game earlier in the year. But I agree that certainly anything can happen in a one game scenario.

We did win handily the day after spring break started.

Craig Forth with his all time career game. Yes Okafor wasn't 100 percent, but he still tried to go. Gmac had a big game too.

Last edited:
Cant disagree with that. GMac made 105 threes that season, the rest of the entire roster over a 31 game season made 36 threes combined.
Yikes...I knew it was bad, but not THAT bad

Anthony Davis is the greatest OAD ever.
Carmelo is second.

The rest don’t care to go thru.
Anthony Davis won
Naismith POY
National Defensive POY
Won NC
Won Final 4 MOP
Was 1st pick in the draft.

He had a better Freshman year than Melo.

Melo is the second best OAD though.

Correct take. Melo is 2.

Obviously love Melo. He’ll go down in history as the first OAD to lead a team to a title. And I think his showing against Texas is one of the greatest performances in college basketball history.

But Anthony Davis just dominated on both ends of the floor unlike anything I’ve seen.

With Carmelo these 3 are the consensus best freshmen ever. It really pisses me off when people say Davis and Durant were better freshmen than him.

Davis had a team that would have won without him. You put 5 star Wiltjer in his spot in the starting lineup they still win it all.

Durant's Texas team was WAY worse than Rick Barnes squad the year before and after. They lost 10 games and got pantsed badly by USC in the round of 32. Year before they were Elite 8 same with the year after he left. Roster was loaded with talent of course 5 star after 5 star just like Davis's UK team.

2003 Syracuse is an NIT team without Carmelo.
Yeah, but not too many teams could be all that successful playing 4 on 5.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedSoxNat

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom