keep hoisting 3s? | Syracusefan.com

keep hoisting 3s?

How many 3pt. shots should we be taking in a game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cap2nine

Scout Team
Obviously there is plenty of discussion about Melo's absence. And, lots of people are talking about rebounding struggles. But, am I alone in thinking that we would be far more effective and efficient on offense if we would stop taking so many 3s and long jumpers? We are averaging about 20 3pt. shots per game. There are several guys that CAN knock down a 3 but I don't think that it’s any secret that this is an average (at best) shooting team. On the other hand Scoop, Triche, Waiters, KJ and Fair are all capable of driving the lane, making interior plays and picking up fouls along the way. Against Cinci, it seemed that the team did focus on taking the ball to the basket and only took a dozen shots from behind the arc that game (the fewest of the season I believe). I thought the result was fantastic. If they had done the same against WVU, it would have been a 10+ pt. victory and the nonsense about the blown call would have been a moot or non-existent issue. Maybe I'm wrong but I'd love to see a little discussion about this.

If we have open 3s, which most of ours seemed to be yesterday, then you have to take them. There were maybe four that were bad shots and not in the course of the offense. KJo, Dion, Scoop, Southerland and BT all have a history of making shots. I don't think JB should tell them not to take open shots.

If we have open 3s, which most of ours seemed to be yesterday, then you have to take them. There were maybe four that were bad shots and not in the course of the offense. KJo, Dion, Scoop, Southerland and BT all have a history of making shots. I don't think JB should tell them not to take open shots.

Believe me, I do understand that an open 3 is tough to pass up and sometimes you have to take it. But we were 4 of 20 yesterday. If they are not falling, you've got to stop taking them in my opinion. And no one on the team is hitting better than 35% this year, sharp-shooting Southy included. So, open or not, they are not converting. Again, this is just my opinion but it seems that if they take it to the hole, they get a far higher percentage shot and possibly force a foul. It's a double benefit.

Don't have a problem with open 3's after having worked the ball on offense for 15-25 secs.. What I have a problem with is 3's after one or two touches on the offensive end - especially when they are not dropping! As long as they are in the flow of the offense, not desperation shots and the player squares up - I'm a happy camper.

In conference games, which is the real measure not cupcakes, KJo and Southerland are the big culprits. 23% and 21% respectively. Triche at 41% needs to get more opportunities and take more.

We should keep shooting. Look at the Cinci game. We were what 0-9? Then we hit 2 in a row and got a lead we never gave back.

A good open three should ALWAYS be taken. Cuse is in a funk %-wise, but will come out of it. When they do, they'll be back to 15 point leads again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom