Kelvin Sampson vs Cuse zone | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Kelvin Sampson vs Cuse zone

The thing I find funny about this is my brother was a basketball coach for like 12 years and is now an associate athletic director at a division 2 school. We used to go to these Nike coaching clinics when I was younger. Around 1999 or 2000. Every coach has a topic. Boeheim does the 2-3 every time and Roy Williams always does fast break and secondary break offense. They show how they teach it and different things you can do. There are around 60 people there or so and they are almost all high school coaches. So one of the clinics Kelvin Sampson goes up there and he has zone offense. He starts joking and complaining about zone offense being boring and you rarely ever see a zone that is any good unless you play Boeheim. He then goes on and on about other stuff. Telling stories about players and such and never even talks about his topic. Then 2 coaches later Boeheim is up there and one of the coaches in the audience says Kelvin was up here saying how boring zone offense and it is no fun etc. Boeheim laughs and says why do you think I like playing zone. It's funny because when we had them in the elite 8 in 2003 I was talking to my brother before that game and he says do you remember what Kelvin said about zone offense, there is no way he is ready in 48 hours. Hopefully that holds true this time around.

One of Houston’s assistant coaches is Quannas White, who played for Sampson and OU vs. SU in the 2003 Regional Final.

He scored 2 points going 1/8 from the field and obviously missed all four of his 3 pt attempts. He turned it over five times. So hopefully he has nothing to contribute to the Cougars game plan.

Someone in the tourney will eventually have a hot first half against us and without fail Chuck and Smith will say "they have to get out of the zone". We won't and when we come back and the zone shuts the opponent down they never say 'yeah I don't know sh--".

I think one of the problems kids have with it in-game is that the best way to beat it (imo) is with quick ball movement. Flash a guy up to the elbow or free throw line, feed him, and he immediately fires a pass either to a three point shooter on the wing or to a cutter backdoor. If he holds it a split second too long we've shifted everyone into position and there's nothing there. At other parts of the floor, holding it a split second too long means facing a trap.

Not many guys who would be the standard recipient of a pass in the high post can make those decisions that quickly because it's not what they're used to. So then the question is, do you want to put a guard in that spot, out of position, making decisions that are new to him, and adjust your whole offense, or give up on that mode of attack?

Next best seems to be working it around the outside, taking turns probing with dribble penetration and kicking it back out if everyone in the zone moves properly. But on a good year, our guys almost always do. So you have to run a very boring attack where you're swinging it around the arc and taking a couple bounces to try to penetrate then kicking it out to do the same over and over and hoping we mess up. 18-21 year old kids rarely have that patience and discipline to do that four or five times in 20-25 seconds on every possession.

Another big problem is that coaches are always hyping up their next opponent to their kids so it's probably pretty easy to tune them out when they tell you this 2-3 zone is nothing like the one you faced earlier in the year and had no trouble with. "Yeah, sure, Coach, whatever."

Next thing you know you're a deer in the headlights jacking up Steph Curry range threes while people make memes about how it looks like we have 10 guys on defense. Life comes at you fast!

I think one of the problems kids have with it in-game is that the best way to beat it (imo) is with quick ball movement. Flash a guy up to the elbow or free throw line, feed him, and he immediately fires a pass either to a three point shooter on the wing or to a cutter backdoor. If he holds it a split second too long we've shifted everyone into position and there's nothing there. At other parts of the floor, holding it a split second too long means facing a trap.

Not many guys who would be the standard recipient of a pass in the high post can make those decisions that quickly because it's not what they're used to. So then the question is, do you want to put a guard in that spot, out of position, making decisions that are new to him, and adjust your whole offense, or give up on that mode of attack?

Next best seems to be working it around the outside, taking turns probing with dribble penetration and kicking it back out if everyone in the zone moves properly. But on a good year, our guys almost always do. So you have to run a very boring attack where you're swinging it around the arc and taking a couple bounces to try to penetrate then kicking it out to do the same over and over and hoping we mess up. 18-21 year old kids rarely have that patience and discipline to do that four or five times in 20-25 seconds on every possession.

Another big problem is that coaches are always hyping up their next opponent to their kids so it's probably pretty easy to tune them out when they tell you this 2-3 zone is nothing like the one you faced earlier in the year and had no trouble with. "Yeah, sure, Coach, whatever."

Next thing you know you're a deer in the headlights jacking up Steph Curry range threes while people make memes about how it looks like we have 10 guys on defense. Life comes at you fast!
Look at how long it took Roy Williams to figure it out. One win against us while he was at Kansas...and that was when Shumpert was basically blind in one eye. (Also, that KU team featured three future NBA players in their starting lineup. Our lineup featured two or three players who hated each other.) It wasn’t until our second year in the ACC that he finally solved the puzzle.

And aside from perfecting the back door alley-oop, Coach K’s strategy is still “hope to get hot from outside.”

He's not playing against our zone lol. It's how his guys handle it. They have some good guards who played terrible last night. We will see if we can do the same to them.

He's not playing against our zone lol. It's how his guys handle it. They have some good guards who played terrible last night. We will see if we can do the same to them.
He’s the one who is supposed to teach them how to handle it.

One thing that seems apparent -- they have a team of slashers, not shooters.

WVU was able to get over their poor start because they had a bunch of guys capable of drilling deep shots. I don't think that Houston has that same capability. When we take away their ability to slash to the hoop, they're really going to struggle.

Grimes can get en fuego from three.

One of Houston’s assistant coaches is Quannas White, who played for Sampson and OU vs. SU in the 2003 Regional Final.

He scored 2 points going 1/8 from the field and obviously missed all four of his 3 pt attempts. He turned it over five times. So hopefully he has nothing to contribute to the Cougars game plan.

Hopefully he is in charge of their game planning.

Grimes can get en fuego from three.
Grimes and Sasser have attempted over 200 3s, no one else on Houston has taken over 80. Sasser shoots 32% from 3, however Grimes shot 42%.

No one else from Houston made over 30 3s but Jareau and Gorham shot respectable percentages despite not attempting a lot.

To put this all in perspective, no one on Syracuse has taken over 200s.

Grimes is going to be an issue for us, I feel like he will be good at the foul line, but he’s their best 3pt shooter. He is a low percentage shooter from 2, though

Grimes and Sasser have attempted over 200 3s, no one else on Houston has taken over 80. Sasser shoots 32% from 3, however Grimes shot 42%.

No one else from Houston made over 30 3s but Jareau and Gorham shot respectable percentages despite not attempting a lot.

To put this all in perspective, no one on Syracuse has taken over 200s.

Grimes is going to be an issue for us, I feel like he will be good at the foul line, but he’s their best 3pt shooter. He is a low percentage shooter from 2, though
Agree with all of that. I've watched Houston play at least 10x this year. I'm not sure if they will position someone at the high post and who that player would be. They like to have Grimes, Sasser, Jarreau and Mark (off the bench) slash and then kick it to one of the other guards for the three. The other thing they like to do is just throw it up on the glass and go get it. Keeping them off the boards is going to be critical.

I think they will play well. We need to score. I do like us to pull out a close game. As has been mentioned the 2 stars of the 2003 OU team are assistants. I met Quanas White on spring break circa 2005.

We probaby wanted Buttgers. I really hope Kadary comes in early. Quincy needs to have a big game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom