Class of 2019 - Ken Evans Jr. | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 Ken Evans Jr.

Central Square's backcourt would have a field day against a Evans/JJ/Bell lineup

Carlos is the only pure point on the roster. The rest of the guys are combo Gs.
We need shooters at this point and another Big.

IMO, folks are getting too hung up on traditional roles. I don’t think Red is thinking that way.
Let’s put 4 scorers/shooters and a big on the floor at all times. The object of the game remains out scoring the other team.
especially when we want to push pace and score in transition. JJ is actually a better fit in that style offense given his speed.

There’s not much I’ve seen on tape from Evans that screams “PG”.
I can see why you say that but wasn't Lefeww a SG before last year when they needed him to play PG? It seems the roster is better balanced if Evans is able to play the point and JJ and the freshman are SGs.

I started watching the full game of Jackson State in their conference tournament. Evans is not a point guard. That being said he finished in the top 10 in their league in assist. He is not a ball stopper. He can create a little on the wing. But this kid can cook. Can get hot and really make threes from all over. On a team where he isn’t the main focus he should be more efficient. Funny thing going in to the last game he was 41% from the field and 40% from three. If he was 40/40 at the end of the year people would be raving about his shooting.
I don’t think he will be on the ball very often. Carlos, JJ and Chance seem like more natural lead guards, but he can create off the ball.
Key will be everyone on the floor is an offensive threat from everywhere. There won’t be multiple players who are non offensive threats.

I started watching the full game of Jackson State in their conference tournament. Evans is not a point guard. That being said he finished in the top 10 in their league in assist. He is not a ball stopper. He can create a little on the wing. But this kid can cook. Can get hot and really make threes from all over. On a team where he isn’t the main focus he should be more efficient. Funny thing going in to the last game he was 41% from the field and 40% from three. If he was 40/40 at the end of the year people would be raving about his shooting.
I don’t think he will be on the ball very often. Carlos, JJ and Chance seem like more natural lead guards, but he can create off the ball.
Key will be everyone on the floor is an offensive threat from everywhere. There won’t be multiple players who are non offensive threats.

Dion Waiters role. Carlos is your PG and you rotate guard play based on how things are going. If two combo guards see moving the ball and not a liability with turnovers you can run that lineup for a while or bring Chance in at the 3 off the bench to be a point forward. You find the mix that’s working whether traditional or creative.

and that he would add another solid rebounder, which we definitely need.

I feel like Red's waiting to add anyone until the window closes so Bell doesn't leave. Smart move if so. Not based on any information.
I would assume bell isnt dumb enough to get fooled by that. If red said he was going to build around bell, which it appears he is, then he would be a fool to not clue bell into the moves.

I would assume bell isnt dumb enough to get fooled by that. If red said he was going to build around bell, which it appears he is, then he would be a fool to not clue bell into the moves.
You have to be honest but you also have to finesse these things. These kids panic at the slightest competition and jump in the portal despite their opportunity. And you have to kiss their ass to get them to stay. If Bell's your plan, kiss his ass, and get a backup who can win you games because he takes nights off. And right now his sub, Westry, has been injured and you can't count on him. You have to get someone who can crush it on the wing without your player panicking and throwing his name in on the last day of the window.

I can't believe building around Bell is a winning move.
If he continues to develope like he did the second half of the year, he is a star. People love shooters. His chase down blocks were a glimpse of what he can do defensively if dialed in.
I think the Greenberg interview may have helped him see the possibilities. We shall see next season?

In 2024, if you stay on the same team for multiple years it must mean that the staff is "building around" you. We got a forward who can play the three in the portal (Jyare Davis from Delaware), this guy could potentially play the three, and we still have Chance. There are options besides Bell, just like last year. Maliq would have transferred to UConn if he had that much competition for his spot!

We had two players last year that took over games and had games that were not just best in ACC but best in League.

Bell went 9-9 on the road at future Final 4 team NCState
Brown had his ridiculous 5x5. Louisville but still counts

It's one game sure, but it shows they're capable. 95% of the rest of the portal players are not capable of doing what they did even on their best night. It's why Duke gave Brown a blank check.

Before you say who cares it's only one game, NCState was a Q1 road game by season's end. We were only 2-3 games away from the tourney and severely missing Q1 wins.

If Bell can repeat that performance as a JR on the road against other bubble teams we'll be on the right side of the bubble. They just need to figure out the consistency.

I'm not say hand him the keys to the castle, but clearly Autry sees him as a big piece.

Bell is an essential piece because he is a proven 3 threat that other teams have to game plan for. All the "building the team around Bell" stuff comes from posters asserting their opinions as fact and it then takes on a life of its own.

To me, it looks like Red's vision has been adding versatility and toughness to the roster so that he will have options.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom