kenpom OMG | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

kenpom OMG

This is an email that I sent to Pomeroy this afternoon. I'll report back if I get an answer:

There are two reasons for this. One, Offensive and Defensive Efficiency scored are based on playing on "average team", both SU and SDSU get greater weights because they are well above average teams. Two, in order to avoid wild fluctuations that rankings like the RPI have, the preseason forecast is weighted against new results as they come in until there is enough data to draw conclusions based on the body of work that season.

The problem with all their systems is they give too much credit to teams who run the shot clock down before they shoot. What they need to do is take the top 100 teams, and figure what the average time on the shot clock is when they shoot. Then they should take a percentage off for those going over that time.

1) As skeptical as I am about kenpom, his is clearly superior to the RPI. which is not saying much.
2) cliched as it by now is, the "eye test" beats computers every day of the week.

That Big Ten bias in his rankings will disappear as soon as one of those teams loses a non-conference game.

Wait, what?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom