kenpom | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

kenpom

I just dont wanna see any Pascal pick and rolls. Grrrr. Marek, yes...OB, yes but no Pascal. It’s a dead roll.

We’ll also see a decent amount of Frank,TB, EH, OB and Marek. We’ll lose some defensiveness but the offense with that lineup...oh boy

No, but there might be a Danny Schayes autograph in it for you.
Got one... what I'm really lookin for are a pair of Sherman Douglas Game worn socks...

I don't care about the exposure and mentions, except that I think its very important for recruiting. The more exposure the better. Are Calipari and K the great recruiting machines they appear to be, how much of that has been created by the love fests that ESPN and others have for them. It would be great to have wall to wall commercials of JB trying to text messages of encouragement to Battle. Like the K and Kyrie and K and Justice commercials a few years back.

{snip}
TBF toward K, ESPN didn't pick his name out of a top hat (the only kind it would fit in) to put him in their commercials. He completely reconstructed Duke (they lost to Ralph Sampson in the 1983 ACC Tournament 109-66) and started winning way before he got the exposure that he gets now with ESPN. While it all snowballs, winning comes first, then you get the exposure which gets you the top recruits, who help you win some more. Rinse. Repeat. It also helps to have academics who are willing to look the other way and admit players who are borrowing Duke jerseys for a season. Someone else can defend Calipari if they'd like to.

I feel extremely dirty after typing that and need to shower in gasoline with a wire scrub brush in hopes of getting clean.

My sentiments exactly.

I want us to be ranked if for no other reason than to get exposure and appropriate highlights on the talk shows and sports broadcasts. Last year we barely got any love except when the tournament started. However, I know some on here were happy to have us "under" the radar. Opinions obviously vary.

I'M SELFISH - I want us to be mentioned on a regular basis and that is what being ranked should get us.
This is not being selfish at all. This should be the minimum standard for SU fans. I think some just look for a positive spin when we’re fumbling through a 9-9 conference season.

TBF toward K, ESPN didn't pick his name out of a top hat (the only kind it would fit in) to put him in their commercials. He completely reconstructed Duke (they lost to Ralph Sampson in the 1983 ACC Tournament 109-66) and started winning way before he got the exposure that he gets now with ESPN. While it all snowballs, winning comes first, then you get the exposure which gets you the top recruits, who help you win some more. Rinse. Repeat. It also helps to have academics who are willing to look the other way and admit players who are borrowing Duke jerseys for a season. Someone else can defend Calipari if they'd like to.

I feel extremely dirty after typing that and need to shower in gasoline with a wire scrub brush in hopes of getting clean.
I remember when, prior to the '91 season, the knock on K was that he couldn't win the big one. He really sucked during those three consecutive final fours '88-'90 that ended without a championship.

This is not being selfish at all. This should be the minimum standard for SU fans. I think some just look for a positive spin when we’re fumbling through a 9-9 conference season.

Yeah, it is a bigger deal than people let on.

I hear you, but do you realize how many contributing members of society are not doing opioids because of this narcotizing fan forum? - I mean from what I've heard.
This is one of the best things to happen to me since puberty.

Scientists do agree about the rush(dopamine) folks get from their online doings. I can safely say you dont have to pick one or the other, kind of like if you see 2 cute chicks.

Speaking of which, youre a bad influence, brb.

I just dont wanna see any Pascal pick and rolls. Grrrr. Marek, yes...OB, yes but no Pascal. It’s a dead roll.

We’ll also see a decent amount of Frank,TB, EH, OB and Marek. We’ll lose some defensiveness but the offense with that lineup...oh boy

Agreed. Maybe some Carey instead of either Hughes or Howard, along with Battle, Brissett, and Marek too.

I guess I dont understand pompom. I thought that I read on here that before you had any stats for the season, it worked off of last season's stats? How does a computer figure how HS players will translate?

Either way, the stats someone posted about how the top 4 finished the past several years was impressive.

I guess I dont understand pompom. I thought that I read on here that before you had any stats for the season, it worked off of last season's stats? How does a computer figure how HS players will translate?

Either way, the stats someone posted about how the top 4 finished the past several years was impressive.
Incoming players are only part of his analytics. The largest part has to do with how much, statistically, is returning from last year's squad. And, as noted elsewhere on the board, SU is bringing back of 90%+ of points, rebounds, and just about every other offensive category. Plus, the experienced defense.

It's a very rough estimate based essentially on recruiting rankings. So, it's nowhere close to perfect.

I believe also how a team has done historically plays a role in the pre-season projections.

For whatever it's worth, last year's preseason #1 was Villanova, who I don't think were #1 in most preseason polls. So that one looks pretty good in hindsight. Here's the rest of last year's top 10. (note, i found this on his blog from March of 2017, so before any of the Louisville mess went down, and before Marvin Bagley committed to Duke.)

1) Nova
2) Arizona
3) Kentucky
4) Gonzaga
5) Wichita State
6) Virginia
7) Florida
8) Louisville
9) UNC
10) West Virginia

I think there will be 2 factors that push this team over the top, free throws and the press. With our depth I feel like JB will be more comfortable pressing at any point just to switch things up if they aren't going as planned or to try and cool off a shooter and then with free throws we should be able to put a lineup out there that will be a comfortable bet to ice the game. Our offense won't improve that much but I do think Carey will be extremely valuable if he can penetrate opposing defenses and get to the basket consistently, if he shows the ability to shoot confidently as well then that's icing on the cake. The offense is also going to get a major boost from the zone if we can show the ability to get out and run just so teams have to keep that in the back of their mind. I mean we basically ran 1 or 2 offensive sets all last season, there should be no issues with teams having us figured out, with everyone coming back the summer and preseason are as big as ever so hopefully we see promise early on and that momentum is sustainable throughout the year.

I'll be super excited if our offense isn't just Tyus and Frank passing the ball back and forth on the perimeter and then waiting for a Chukwu pick in which they are then doubled because there is 0 threat of hitting the roll man.

It will be because there is more MOVEMENT! Gotta MOVE!

Not having three players averaging 38+ minutes will be the biggest help for our shooters to get open. It is easier to cut and run off screens when you have fresher legs. An extra 3-minute rest each half would help our offensive efficiency, especially at the end of games, when we tended to struggle last year.

I think there will be 2 factors that push this team over the top, free throws and the press. With our depth I feel like JB will be more comfortable pressing at any point just to switch things up if they aren't going as planned or to try and cool off a shooter and then with free throws we should be able to put a lineup out there that will be a comfortable bet to ice the game. Our offense won't improve that much but I do think Carey will be extremely valuable if he can penetrate opposing defenses and get to the basket consistently, if he shows the ability to shoot confidently as well then that's icing on the cake. The offense is also going to get a major boost from the zone if we can show the ability to get out and run just so teams have to keep that in the back of their mind. I mean we basically ran 1 or 2 offensive sets all last season, there should be no issues with teams having us figured out, with everyone coming back the summer and preseason are as big as ever so hopefully we see promise early on and that momentum is sustainable throughout the year.
What makes you think JB will press just to switch things up? I can't remember him ever doing this. I can see him going to the press quicker, if we're behind but not simply to switch things up or cool off a shooter.

You might want to check this thread ... several posts offer details on improvements expected in the offense this fall. First SU team since 2000 to have all 5 starters return...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom