Kentucky is #1 in APR in the SEC | Syracusefan.com

Kentucky is #1 in APR in the SEC

SWC75

Bored Historian
...according to John Calipari in a clip the Axeman just played from a presser. That's amazing, considering all the guys who have jumped from the pros from UK since he's been there. They must do a great job of getting kids to go to class- even the ones who have already decided to go to the pros.

Unbelieveable. I wonder what they hold over their head$ to finish out the semester's classes? Nah, I won't go there.

...according to John Calipari in a clip the Axeman just played from a presser. That's amazing, considering all the guys who have jumped from the pros from UK since he's been there. They must do a great job of getting kids to go to class- even the ones who have already decided to go to the pros.

A well structured escrow account will do wonders.

Freshman year should be the easiest to stay on track. Show up for summer sessions, bank 2 or 3 classes to satisfy degree progress, then blow off spring semester and head for the league in "good academic standing"

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

UK players pick up their grades at registration. No prof would fail a UK player, they'd be lynched. Different mind set there.

They have other people do the work

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk

Freshman year should be the easiest to stay on track. Show up for summer sessions, bank 2 or 3 classes to satisfy degree progress, then blow off spring semester and head for the league in "good academic standing"

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

I dont think it works like that... If enrolled in second semester you must finish 12 hours in good academic standing. It does not matter how many hours you accumulated to that point. I think~!!!!

typical kentucky course load:

playdough 101
etchasketch 101
namethatcolor 101
philosophy of dunking 101
marketing do's and don'ts of talking to agents 101

typical kentucky course load:

playdough 101
etchasketch 101
namethatcolor 101
philosophy of dunking 101
marketing do's and don'ts of talking to agents 101
Damn. I'm great at Playdoh. If there was a Hall of Fame, I'd be a lock.

if ESPN outside the lines had any balls at all they'd followup on what these "students" major in.

(there was an etchasketch HOF in san francisco but sadly it was erased in the quake of '95.)

this is what makes me begin to wonder.. what is cal doing to keep them in class? some classes freshmen year finish with only a paper.. do they bypass exams with a final paper turned in 2 months early? or does the pin number to www's checking account only open up once they finish up their classes? if uconn cannot get guys to finish school.. your telling me cal can get cousins, orton, bledsoe etc to do so?

The Academic Progress Rate, sometimes also known as Academic Performance Rating[1] and generally abbreviated as APR, is a metric established by the NCAA to indicate the success of collegiate athletic teams in moving student athletes towards graduation[citation needed]. It was instituted in February 2005[citation needed]. In its first season of usage, three sports - football, basketball, and baseball - posted average APR scores below the NCAA-determined minimum level.
Collegiate sports teams that fail to achieve an APR score of 925 - equivalent to a 50% graduation rate - may be penalized with the loss of scholarships. A perfect score is 1000. The scores are calculated as follows:
The APR is calculated by allocating points for eligibility and retention -- the two factors that research identifies as the best indicators of graduation. Each player on a given roster earns a maximum of two points per term, one for being academically eligible and one for staying with the institution. A team's APR is the total points of a team's roster at a given time divided by the total points possible. Since this results in a decimal number, the CAP decided to multiply it by 1,000 for ease of reference. Thus, a raw APR score of .925 translates into the 925 that will become the standard terminology.[1]
The NCAA does adjust APR, on a student-by-student basis, in two circumstances—when a player transfers to another school with a sufficiently high GPA, or leaves for a professional sports career while still in good academic standing. In the 2010–11 cycle, the NCAA granted nearly 700 APR adjustments in the latter category, out of a total of over 6,400 Division I teams. Nearly half of the adjustments were for baseball players.[2]
The first penalties under the APR system were scheduled to be announced in December 2005. Starting with the 2008–09 academic year, bans from postseason competition were added to the penalty structure. The most severe penalty available is a one-year suspension of NCAA membership, which has not yet been assessed as of 2010–11.[3]
Prior to 2010–11, only four teams had received postseason bans. The results of the NCAA's APR report for that year, which covered 2006–07 through 2009–10, saw eight teams receive that penalty—five in men's basketball and three in football. Most notably, Southern became the first school ever to receive APR-related postseason bans in two sports. The highest-profile penalty in that year's cycle was handed down to defending NCAA men's basketball champion Connecticut. The Huskies lost two scholarships for the 2011–12 season due to APR violations.[3]
The APR is designed to measure semester-by-semester academic progress, and is separate from the Graduation Success Rate (GSR), which reflects only the percentage of student athletes who graduate, thus omitting students who would have graduated but left school early for non-academic reasons (such as a professional career).

that makes it look too suspicious. Now its a foregone conclusion that the institution handicaps their school work.

if ESPN outside the lines had any balls at all they'd followup on what these "students" major in.
If you are only a freshman and never go further, you don't have to declare a major. You can take anything you want, and it does not have to apply toward a degree. I don't think the NCAA understands that.

sounds like a few hot coeds are earning multiple degrees

. Nearly half of the adjustments were for baseball players.

Interesting.

Interesting.

Not surprising... the best college talent gets drafted after their junior seasons, they don't all leave, but for most part they all get drafted then. Much larger number then the number of college basketball players that leave early...at least before guys started leaving early to play in USBL or where ever it is that Devo and Harris gave up their finals year to play.

Interesting.
just the numbers at work - baseball drafts so many players & a healthy percentage of them are college kids who have just finished their junior year. Example from 2011 MLB draft: 1530 players drafted, 818 of them were from 4 year schools, many of the 818 were juniors, etc.

edit: son of a gun... beaten by a minute

I have a friend who went to a major D-I school on a golf scholarship. He said most of the basketball players and some of the football players took "leadership" and "athletic training" classes their first couple of years. I guess most of the leadership classes were participation with a paper at the end and the athletic training was weight room stuff. It's not tough to understand why players at this particular school were always in good academic standing.

As much as we despise UConn, maybe we should give them a little credit for doing things the right way when it comes to academics. (Or as close as you can get to the right way when it comes to college basketball.) I think Indiana and SLU are among the schools with low APRs. Even with Bob Knight out of the picture, I'm pretty sure IU takes academics seriously. (Again, relatively speaking.) And Rick Majerus is the head coach at SLU. He has a reputation for graduating players. (In all likelihood, the issues at SLU are probably related to the sex scandal last season and transfers).

I doubt John Wall, Anthony Davis, and every other UK player under Cal's watch will come back and earn their degrees. At least JB, Calhoun, Crean and Majerus are trying. That's what APR should be about, not gaming the system.

As much as we despise UConn, maybe we should give them a little credit for doing things the right way when it comes to academics. (Or as close as you can get to the right way when it comes to college basketball.) I think Indiana and SLU are among the schools with low APRs. Even with Bob Knight out of the picture, I'm pretty sure IU takes academics seriously. (Again, relatively speaking.) And Rick Majerus is the head coach at SLU. He has a reputation for graduating players. (In all likelihood, the issues at SLU are probably related to the sex scandal last season and transfers).

I doubt John Wall, Anthony Davis, and every other UK player under Cal's watch will come back and earn their degrees. At least JB, Calhoun, Crean and Majerus are trying. That's what APR should be about, not gaming the system.

I agree. Kentucky knows how to play the system and everybody at the school is on the same page just as the SEC football schools are.

It is obvious that KY knows how to play the system. That is either a good thing or not...to let recruits know upfront no problem with classes...really a boarding school to hold bball players for a year prior to going pro. (Would be interesting to see how the other athletes are treated at KY--like football players who must stay more than one year). Perhaps KY has a system for its projected 1 and done athletes...here are your courses for year 1 and summer. Nothing too academic...(what are these classes--if not much different than weight lifting perhaps we should publish their educational commitment to the world--at least we can laugh at the University).
On the other hand, KY must be a well oiled machine that MAKES SURE BBALL players complete whatever course work is required. Once again KY nails 'Cuse...apparently we cannot monitor, tutor, assist bball players through the academic system. KY monitors, tutors, and coaches earn their pay...wonder if 'Cuse monitors, tutors, and coaches really EARN their pay--are students at 'Cuse to earn an education or a bball entry to NBA...depending the answer will provide clues to what expectations should be for players and monitors, and tutors and coaches...seems like we value education above all else...damn, JB may never get that second NC!--accept the fact that 'Cuse is not built for NCs but rather an educational degree...who would have thunk that...damn?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom