Kentucky radio discusses DC & Calamari's remarks | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Kentucky radio discusses DC & Calamari's remarks

a quick look at the KY board on At their request, this network is being blocked from this site. and all most all posts were either they wanted Coleman or good luck to him and 'Cuse.

Radio talk shows are supposed to be homey and stir the pot...obviously they have stirred ours...its okay, when we win 2 or 3 NCs in next few years it will rain all over Cal and his boys

what a bunch of weenies. Total sour grapes. They talk like Cal is god. Cant wait to see that program go on probation and have to forfeit wins like all of the other schools this criminal has coached at.

F them

Don't see the problem with commentary. They are UK fans afterall.

I don't have a problem with it at all......not much different than anything that gets said when we lose a guy. Cue up the reaction to Tobias Harris choosing Tennessee. They didn't even go to the well that we typically do and attribute his choosing SU to cheating.

If you listen long enough they actually pretty clearly came around to the conclusion that DC II was very much about wanting to stay close to home and that SU had been his dream school all along. Seems like they were pretty objective in their analysis.

No, I don't think so. They referenced Cal's comments at a presser right after he heard that Coleman wasn't coming, and Cal went on and on about how kids who choose not to come to UK after seeing their Midnight Madness, and seeing how they practice, well not everybody can take that kind of intensity. We're not giving you water breaks. As if playing before 30,000 in the Dome isn't "intense" !!

To me, it was clear that they were implying that he was fat and lazy, and the radio guys came right out and said, he can hide in that zone, he won't turn into the player he would if he was here, etc.

But the thing that rubbed my ass was when they said Coleman wouldn't have to face the kind of competition in practice that he would at UK, and they talked about Fab Melo being fat and sitting on the bench. Clearly, they have no clue. UK has no true center on their roster, although they do have a couple very skilled string bean type guys who are essentially tall SF's. Fab Melo didn't play well last year, but with him being in better shape, plus Christmas, plus Keita, when you consider that Coleman is a very likely McDonald's AA, that's 3 Mickey Dee's out of 4 big guys on the roster. THAT is competition, my friend.

No, I don't think so. They referenced Cal's comments at a presser right after he heard that Coleman wasn't coming, and Cal went on and on about how kids who choose not to come to UK after seeing their Midnight Madness, and seeing how they practice, well not everybody can take that kind of intensity. We're not giving you water breaks. As if playing before 30,000 in the Dome isn't "intense" !!

To me, it was clear that they were implying that he was fat and lazy, and the radio guys came right out and said, he can hide in that zone, he won't turn into the player he would if he was here, etc.

But the thing that rubbed my ass was when they said Coleman wouldn't have to face the kind of competition in practice that he would at UK, and they talked about Fab Melo being fat and sitting on the bench. Clearly, they have no clue. UK has no true center on their roster, although they do have a couple very skilled string bean type guys who are essentially tall SF's. Fab Melo didn't play well last year, but with him being in better shape, plus Christmas, plus Keita, when you consider that Coleman is a very likely McDonald's AA, that's 3 Mickey Dee's out of 4 big guys on the roster. THAT is competition, my friend.

All true for sure. The jury is still out on all of the Burger Boy bigs, however. Competition is one thing but if all the guys are potentially lazy, just don't have "it," or are very offensively challenged then it's all the blind leading the blind. I'm not saying that is what is happening at SU or is what will happen. Just a little two cents of devil's advocate.

I'm sure that if he went to UK no one here would insinuate that Coleman would rather sell out than play in his hometown/accuse him of looking for handouts/various other character assassinations.

No, I don't think so. They referenced Cal's comments at a presser right after he heard that Coleman wasn't coming

You sure? They even said they were making that assumption based on the timing but Coleman said in the presser that he had not told any coaches yet.

I believe this picture was taken before he lost some weight? My concern is, I have several tattoo's, how can he afford all that ink?
DaJuan-Coleman1.jpg

All I can say is I hope we get the chance to play Kentucky sometime down the road. We'll see how much Dejaun is looking for that waterbreak when we crush their team with no center.

Maybe that'd be one consolation to the Big East existing for one more year - see if we get paired with Kentucky in the Big East/SEC Challenge next year and see us win while Coleman puts up huge numbers on UK.

(As an aside, I wish we had that match-up this year. Florida again? Yuck.)

my favorite all time cal was when he was talking to fat mike on the fan and was aksed what he tells recruits. The first thing cal says is well, you have to study hard and go to classes..I nearly drove off the road.

After my rant I pondered further ... while we have 2 rednecks on the radio blathering on it was Calamari's comments that truly set me off in a big way. First in response to Bees - that presser (as was indicated) was at the same time as DC2's presser per the radio rednecks. ... one obviously a good ole boy and the other sounding very amateurish at times. DC2 would have notified the coaches as to his decision out of civility, courtesy, and common practice ... so the coaches weren't blind sided. So ... Calamari knew!

Let me say this ... we as as honest fans not only of SU but of college basketball have dealt disparaging and discrediting words and comments towards schools and coaches ... but rarely do we lay down disparaging and discrediting remarks about the players - the kids. Sure there are times when the playing gets rough ... but I think generally we honestly love the game and the kids who play that game. Even more rare would be any fan making disparaging or discrediting remarks about a recruit who may have chosen another school. Sure we will say we didn't need him ... but more often I read the line- "Good luck ______. I hope you do well". AND NEVER have I heard a coach, Jm Boeheim, Jim Calhoun, Rick Pitino ... or whoever say a negative word or remark about a kid that chose some other school - at least in public. We can say the nastiest things about some of these coaches ... and we do ... but in this regard they are gentlemen.

After I heard Calamari's "presser" I can only conclude that he is the scum of the earth. Is he that egotistical and egocentric that should a kid choose another school that he is required for the maintenance of his own view of his self-importance that he has to disparage and make negative comments about the kid rather than say, "well he chose another school. Best of luck".

Calamari you are an of the highest degree!!

After my rant I pondered further ... while we have 2 rednecks on the radio blathering on it was Calamari's comments that truly set me off in a big way. First in response to Bees - that presser (as was indicated) was at the same time as DC2's presser per the radio rednecks. ... one obviously a good ole boy and the other sounding very amateurish at times. DC2 would have notified the coaches as to his decision out of civility, courtesy, and common practice ... so the coaches weren't blind sided. So ... Calamari knew!

Let me say this ... we as as honest fans not only of SU but of college basketball have dealt disparaging and discrediting words and comments towards schools and coaches ... but rarely do we lay down disparaging and discrediting remarks about the players - the kids. Sure there are times when the playing gets rough ... but I think generally we honestly love the game and the kids who play that game. Even more rare would be any fan making disparaging or discrediting remarks about a recruit who may have chosen another school. Sure we will say we didn't need him ... but more often I read the line- "Good luck ______. I hope you do well". AND NEVER have I heard a coach, Jm Boeheim, Jim Calhoun, Rick Pitino ... or whoever say a negative word or remark about a kid that chose some other school - at least in public. We can say the nastiest things about some of these coaches ... and we do ... but in this regard they are gentlemen.

After I heard Calamari's "presser" I can only conclude that he is the scum of the earth. Is he that so egotistical and egocentric that should a kid chose another school that he is required by the maintenance of his own view of his self-importance that he has to disparage and make negative comments about the kid. Say, "well he chose another school. Best of luck".

Calamari you are an of the highest degree!!

I'm pretty sure DC didn't inform the coaches until after the presser (though, i'm sure they watched anyway)

Oh, and your last point is spot-on;)

what a bunch of sore losers. they would be gleeming right now if DC had selected the UK hat yesterday. they should let DC listen to that as motivation. I'm Boeheim, I would do whatever it takes to play UK. Let the top recruits in the country see how bad SU puts it to UK.

First in response to Bees - that presser (as was indicated) was at the same time as DC2's presser per the radio rednecks. ... one obviously a good ole boy and the other sounding very amateurish at times. DC2 would have notified the coaches as to his decision out of civility, courtesy, and common practice ... so the coaches weren't blind sided. So ... Calamari knew!

DC was asked in the presser whether he had notified all the coaches. He said no. He even seemed a bit sheepish when he said it mening to me he knew he probably should have but hadn't.

DC was asked in the presser whether he had notified all the coaches. He said no. He even seemed a bit sheepish when he said it mening to me he knew he probably should have but hadn't.
My bad ... but the rest holds!!

He's a kid so I'll cut him slack on it but truthfully UK and OSU should have gotten courtesy calls prior to his public announcement. I know not all players do it, but it's the upright, classy thing to do.

On the other hand, it also opens the player up to 45 minutes of "please reconsider, please reconsider, please reconsider...."

Really makes me wish we had them in the BE-SEC challenge this year! I hope we get them at some point though. We will see if Cuse brings enough intensity or whether they invented it in the state of KY. If we are still in the BE next year (and I kind of hope we are) that would be a great game to put on the calendar. Schedule it in the Dome and lets see how they do in our little gym.

Really makes me wish we had them in the BE-SEC challenge this year! I hope we get them at some point though. We will see if Cuse brings enough intensity or whether they invented it in the state of KY. If we are still in the BE next year (and I kind of hope we are) that would be a great game to put on the calendar. Schedule it in the Dome and lets see how they do in our little gym.

they would probably beat us in the dome, better make it MSG

The "special guest" was Tim Couch. Is that the same guy that wishes his career had been half as good as a certain Syracuse quarterback's was?

Apparently they have already forgotten Demarcus "I only play when I want to" Cousins.

LOL. With three five-star big men, SU practices are going to be tougher than anything DC would have faced playing in the SEC.

If he really were lazy, he would have gone to Kentucky, where they would have handed him the starting center job. At SU, he has to fight Melo and Xmas for minutes.

LOL. With three five-star big men, SU practices are going to be tougher than anything DC would have faced playing in the SEC.

If he really were lazy, he would have gone to Kentucky, where they would have handed him the starting center job. At SU, he has to fight Melo and Xmas for minutes.

Your right and whatever Espn announcer rubs that in will show he is smarter then the average announcer.

UK is still stuck on one commit for 2012, so I'm not surprised that UK people are antsy.

I think whatever increased expectations Coleman will encounter by staying close to home would be outweighed exponentially by the insanely high expectations of Kentucky fans if he decided to go there.

By this time the last two years, Cadillac Cal had already reeled in the #1 recruiting class in the country. They currently only have one recruit commitment and are getting a little nervous. I imagine they'll still have a top five class when all is said and done, no one sells the fast track to the NBA option like Cal and UK. I really hope he never wins a title.

Now SU fans know what they 'Ville has to put up with year after year. Cali is an egoistic jerk. Who cares what he says? What weak Kty fans. Simply stated Coleman could have been their best player. They know it also. I'm happy for Coleman because be doesn't have to go there. He clearly made the correct choice. Maybe Coleman got something "illegal" in his Cal offer and said no way.

Inre: to Tobias Harris ...maybe I missed something but I don't remember posters making derogatory comments about the kid personally ... I do know a considerable amount was said about his parents; I do know a considerable amount was said about his "stunt announcement". But I also remember many said,"OK and good luck at Tennessee". If there were negative personal comments and I missed them then my response to you is the same: "Shame on you". There is never any justification for making personal affronts on and/or to a kid b/c he didn''t pick your school. But never did JB come out and make any comments re: Harris ... personal or otherwise. Really bad practice. BTW there are many on the Kentucky board who have wished DC2 good luck ... thank you for being good fans. I hope that recruits looking at Kentucky take a close look at the kind of person Calamari is. Kentucky fans are avid ... as are Syracuse fans. That I do appreciate. What I don't appreciate are coaches who preach negativity for their own ego gratification and radio rednecks who make terribly negative and personal comments about the kids.