Kentucky ruins College basketball | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Kentucky ruins College basketball

Since Coach Cal's taken over, UK has trounced SU recruitment wise, but has failed to separate it self by even half the margin regarding post season success. You guys got 1 more final four than us this century and just 1 'ship, as we do. I don't think Kentucky cheats, I think that's ridiculous. I think Kentucky has a great program and venue paired with a slick talking coach. Unfortunately its hard to argue that he doesn't underperform year to year with the talent he has, comes with the territory of being a 1 and done destination I suppose.
Since Cal has taken over, UK has a championship, a national runner-up and 2 national semifinals. Syracuse has just 2 national semifinals. Not sure how you can argue that's comparable.

But sure, if you want to compare the past 16 seasons for SU to the past 6 for UK, you might have an argument...

Since Cal has taken over, UK has a championship, a national runner-up and 2 national semifinals. Syracuse has just 2 national semifinals. Not sure how you can argue that's comparable.

But sure, if you want to compare the past 16 seasons for SU to the past 6 for UK, you might have an argument...

This century, the 2000s, UK hasn't separated itself from SU in anything but recruiting. That hasn't changed with Cal, that's all I'm saying.

We got better competition in our conference, hopefully we see you guys in March.

This century, the 2000s, UK hasn't separated itself from SU in anything but recruiting. That hasn't changed with Cal, that's all I'm saying.

We got better competition in our conference, hopefully we see you guys in March.
The 2000's were the best decade in your history and our worst. Quit being ridiculous. Anyone arguing that Syracuse has been better than UK in anything but a 5 year span (or projecting going forward) would be laughed out of the conversation.

This thread has become an embarrassment to rational SU fans everywhere...IMO.
There are blue bloods in every college sport. In CFB you have the Bama's, OSU's, Notre Dame's, & USC's of the world. In CBB that would be UK, Duke, Kansas, UNC, and perhaps UCLA and Indiana.
We fit into the next tier, elite but not blue blood, which basically means that if a Norte Dame, or in this cbb case, a UK comes calling for a recruit, 9x outta 10, they'll win the battle. In some cases, like DC2, we end up winning vs UK.
I just don't get all the handwringing and attempts to denigrate a program, because one recruit got away.
It's unbecoming, unseemly, and ultimately just plain stupid. This was a staff mistake to put all their eggs in the Quade Green bAsket. PayPalCal did what he do, and if roles were reversed, and in some cases they have been, we'd be applauding our "elite" status and feeling ourselves.
Let's act like we've been there. We're better than this and ultimately, it's Quade Green's loss that he didn't come here!

Last edited:
I'm gonna try to do this without flaming, but step back and listen to yourselves.

1. Kentucky cheats to get top 25 recruits. Really? UK is like 25 out of 30 getting players drafted since Cal got here. That's not just 5 stars. that's every player he recruited. Why would we have to pay these players? The NBA will and we get them there better than anyone.

2. Kentucky has one championship in 19 years. First of all... That's an odd cut-off point. Secondly, we have 4 Final Fours in the past 6 years. We're not exactly struggling.

3. Syracuse would have been a lock over Kentucky in 2012. Seriously doubt it. That UK team is one of the top 2 or 3 in the KenPom era when it comes to statistical rankings. Lost 2 games all year (one on a last second shot in the most hostile college environment the last 20 years and another on the 3rd game in 3 days against a team that pitted their season on that one game). Had arguably the best college player since Laettner. Basically blew everyone out in the tourney.

Just get ahold of yourselves. It's one player and he's not even a super-elite prospect.

1. Why don't you step back and count how many potential lotto picks Cal turned into 2nd rounders? If they were ranked in the top 30 (in UK's case mostly top 20) they would've had to screw up royally to not even make the 2nd round. Stop patting yourself on the back with the false narrative

2. "Let's ignore these X number of years cuz we've done jack ish, just focus on the good years"

3. I for one don't believe our 2012 team was a lock to beat your team but was definitely more than capable to at full strength. We went 17-1 in the the freaking big east with our starting center sitting out half of the season. I seriously doubt your team would've beat both us and UNC had we had our full rosters

I'd imagine a banner for #1 recruitment class has to be worth more than an SEC conference champion banner.

1. Why don't you step back and count how many potential lotto picks Cal turned into 2nd rounders? If they were ranked in the top 30 (in UK's case mostly top 20) they would've had to screw up royally to not even make the 2nd round. Stop patting yourself on the back with the false narrative

2. "Let's ignore these X number of years cuz we've done jack ish, just focus on the good years"

3. I for one don't believe our 2012 team was a lock to beat your team but was definitely more than capable to at full strength. We went 17-1 in the the freaking big east with our starting center sitting out half of the season. I seriously doubt your team would've beat both us and UNC had we had our full rosters

1. This is the dumbest logic I've ever read. So a top 30 recruit should go top 14 in the draft competing against 3 other classes and international players? Even considering how dumb the argument is, the only disappointing recruits when it comes to draft results were poythress and the harrison twins. And poythress tore his acl the first month of his jr year. Plus your 3rd best player in the nba would be our 17th best. I'm not so sure if you disregarded our top 20 recruits we wouldn't have better alums in the nba.

2. We only have 1 championsip and 4 finals fours in thr past 19 years. You all only have 1 championship and 6 final fours in the past 79 years.

3. You all wouldn't have beat us in 2012 nor would UNC (who we beat in like the 7th game that season with "a group of freshmen"). The big east was historically overrated during that "superconference" period with only uconn ever making any noise on a national scale.

1. This is the dumbest logic I've ever read. So a top 30 recruit should go top 30 in the draft competing against 3 other classes and international players? Even considering how dumb the argument is, the only disappointing recruits when it comes to draft results were poythress and the harrison twins. And poythress tore his acl the first month of his jr year. Plus your 3rd best player in the nba would be our 17th best. I'm not so sure if you disregarded our top 20 recruits we wouldn't have better alums in the nba.

2. We only have 1 championsip and 4 finals fours in thr past 19 years. You all only have 1 championship and 6 final fours in the past 79 years.

3. You all wouldn't have beat us in 2012 nor would UNC (who we beat in like the 7th game that season with "a group of freshmen"). The big east was historically overrated during that "superconference" period with only uconn ever making any noise on a national scale.

Are we going to talk about overrated conferences now?

I'm gonna try to do this without flaming, but step back and listen to yourselves.

1. Kentucky cheats to get top 25 recruits. Really? UK is like 25 out of 30 getting players drafted since Cal got here. That's not just 5 stars. that's every player he recruited. Why would we have to pay these players? The NBA will and we get them there better than anyone.

2. Kentucky has one championship in 19 years. First of all... That's an odd cut-off point. Secondly, we have 4 Final Fours in the past 6 years. We're not exactly struggling.

3. Syracuse would have been a lock over Kentucky in 2012. Seriously doubt it. That UK team is one of the top 2 or 3 in the KenPom era when it comes to statistical rankings. Lost 2 games all year (one on a last second shot in the most hostile college environment the last 20 years and another on the 3rd game in 3 days against a team that pitted their season on that one game). Had arguably the best college player since Laettner. Basically blew everyone out in the tourney.

Just get ahold of yourselves. It's one player and he's not even a super-elite prospect.
Kentucky had a great team in 2012. So did we. We went 17-1 in the Big east and our one loss was without our starting center who was the Big east defensive player of the year.

I have a great idea. Why don't you go back to the Kentucky board No one here wants to hear your spin on how Kentucky gets the top players every year. It doesn't matter where in the country the kid lives. I lived in Western mass when Cal; was at UMass. He cheated like a 2 dollar whore there. He cheated at Memphis. Now he is at Kentucky and gets the best players on the board every year. Yeah, he suddenly got clean.

Kentucky had a great team in 2012. So did we. We went 17-1 in the Big east and our one loss was without our starting center who was the Big east defensive player of the year.

I have a great idea. Why don't you go back to the Kentucky board No one here wants to hear your spin on how Kentucky gets the top players every year. It doesn't matter where in the country the kid lives. I lived in Western mass when Cal; was at UMass. He cheated like a 2 dollar whore there. He cheated at Memphis. Now he is at Kentucky and gets the best players on the board every year. Yeah, he suddenly got clean.
Funny. Last time I checked, you all were the ones recently caught cheating.

Funny. Last time I checked, you all were the ones recently caught cheating.
Nothing regarding recruiting my fine friend. And they looked for 10 years. We have never been caught with money in fed ex envelopes. We had a drug policy we didn't have to have. And yes, we violated it. but you have a coach that has cheated on recruiting at two other stops. But now you want us to believe he has found religion at a school that has been known to cheat in the past. Sure.

Yup. The SEC has 6 titles in the past 25 seasons.

You go now.

Well, since we're giving out history lessons here... The old BigEast members, or just Cuse/Cincy/UL/GTown/Uconn/Nova/Marquette, have more championships between them than the entire 80ish years of the SEC basketball conference. None of that matters though, its 2016 and Cuse is in the ACC. We're not really gonna compare the ACC and SEC are we?

1. This is the dumbest logic I've ever read. So a top 30 recruit should go top 14 in the draft competing against 3 other classes and international players? Even considering how dumb the argument is, the only disappointing recruits when it comes to draft results were poythress and the harrison twins. And poythress tore his acl the first month of his jr year. Plus your 3rd best player in the nba would be our 17th best. I'm not so sure if you disregarded our top 20 recruits we wouldn't have better alums in the nba.

1. You need to read better, when did I ever say top 30 recruit should make the lotto? I said they should've at least made the 2nd round. You made the claim that UK is better at the sending kids to the NBA so the burden of proof lies on you, in order to prove that you need to show us how with the equal amount of incoming talent you churn out more NBA picks, and so far all you have is you took in way more top-end talent which results in more picks. Let's standardize the criteria and do this instead, using 2.4.7 ranking, from 2009 to 2015 class, let's see how many kids ranked outside of top 20 each school turned into first rounders:
Cuse: Dion Waiters, Michael Carter Williams, Tyler Ennis, Chris McCullough, Malachi Richardson
UK: Eric Bledsoe, Devin Booker
Not even close my dude...And on top of that you turned Kyle Wiltjer(#20), Alex Poythress(#7), Andrew Harrison(#5), Aaron Harrison(#6), Dakari Johnson(#10), Marcus Lee(#18), Tyler Ulis(#19) into 2nd rounders or undrafted. Mighty fine job you've done there producing NBA talent.

2. You've done more historically with more talent. Since the inception of Micky D games your All Americans outnumbered us by 4 times. What's your point?

3. Yes we both would've. By a lot of points too, since you wanna do this talking out of own ass with no substantial proof thing.

1. You need to read better, when did I ever say top 30 recruit should make the lotto? I said they should've at least made the 2nd round. You made the claim that UK is better at the sending kids to the NBA so the burden of proof lies on you, in order to prove that you need to show us how with the equal amount of incoming talent you churn out more NBA picks, and so far all you have is you took in way more top-end talent which results in more picks. Let's standardize the criteria and do this instead, using 2.4.7 ranking, from 2009 to 2015 class, let's see how many kids ranked outside of top 20 each school turned into first rounders:
Cuse: Dion Waiters, Michael Carter Williams, Tyler Ennis, Chris McCullough, Malachi Richardson
UK: Eric Bledsoe, Devin Booker
Not even close my dude...And on top of that you turned Kyle Wiltjer(#20), Alex Poythress(#7), Andrew Harrison(#5), Aaron Harrison(#6), Dakari Johnson(#10), Marcus Lee(#18), Tyler Ulis(#19) into 2nd rounders or undrafted. Mighty fine job you've done there producing NBA talent.

2. You've done more historically with more talent. Since the inception of Micky D games your All Americans outnumbered us by 4 times. What's your point?

3. Yes we both would've. By a lot of points too, since you wanna do this talking out of own ass with no substantial proof thing.
Didn't Louisville win a couple of national titles? At least one.

Didn't Louisville win a couple of national titles? At least one.

From 1979 to 2013 each conference both has 6 titles and 20 final fours, Louisville won 2 in the 80's when they weren't a member so those didn't count; there were also final fours like Marquette's in 2003 didn't count in since they weren't a member. Big east with the new additions was just insane, to say it was overrated is just laughable.

You make some good points. But I don't care -- screw Kentucky and it's fans.

Yup. The SEC has 6 titles in the past 25 seasons.

You go now.

So the point before it was about national titles -- and you said that was not fair. Now you are going to use national titles... over 25 years? Wow, you got dumb really quick.

The talent on our 2011-2012 team was insane. Think about this roster for a minute.
Guards: Jardine, Triche, Waiters, Carter-Williams
Forwards: Joseph, Fair, Southerland
Centers: Melo, Christmas, Keita

Its amazing how dumb their message board is, I guess enough imbreeding will do that to you. How can you be irrelevant for a decade, and go to two final fours in four years?

pretty easy fix.. fball has a scholie limit, why not bball? make it 4 per yr . recruit all the kids you want but if they dont stay you are in a pickle.

pretty easy fix.. fball has a scholie limit, why not bball? make it 4 per yr . recruit all the kids you want but if they dont stay you are in a pickle.
They did away with this rule in 2003. The 5/8 rule.

I know but you cant have it both ways. limit the number of Fr you can replace or something