Kevin Rogers hired | Syracusefan.com

Kevin Rogers hired

Wonder if McNabb might have at all lobbied for SU to give Rogers a look. My guess is no since I'd bet DMc isn't that close to HCDM.

Just seeing this news made me think if Gross and/or Doug might have had a chance to do McNabb a solid in return for seriously thinking about a naming gift on a new football facility.

Who needs Kevin Rogers we have Hack

I am too young to remember Kevin Rogers when he was here. However, if he is such a great coach, why does he never stick with a team or move up in the coaching ranks?

KC... I heard from a source that IF we hired KRogers prior to last season he would have been able to do the following list that Hack was unable to get done

1. Van Chew would have grown 4 inches and added 30 lbs so we had a second threat at WR
2. Rogers would have done the Mr. Miyagi hand healing trick on PT Gulley and Lemon's shoulders so they could have played at 100% all year
3. Rogers would have gotten the charges dropped against Marcus Sales prior to Marcus getting arrested ...
4. DeFerral Davis would have qualified
5. Dorian Graham...lots and lots of Vaseline hand softener

Maybe we should have hired Mr. Miyagi...

KC... I heard from a source that IF we hired KRogers prior to last season he would have been able to do the following list that Hack was unable to get done

1. Van Chew would have grown 4 inches and added 30 lbs so we had a second threat at WR
2. Rogers would have done the Mr. Miyagi hand healing trick on PT Gulley and Lemon's shoulders so they could have played at 100% all year
3. Rogers would have gotten the charges dropped against Marcus Sales prior to Marcus getting arrested ...
4. DeFerral Davis would have qualified
5. Dorian Graham...lots and lots of Vaseline hand softener

Maybe we should have hired Mr. Miyagi...
I love this post. In addition to the above miracles Kevin would have played AAM and Smith much more at RB, Baily would have had 25 more catches, We would have thrown much more on 1st down. West, Foster, Kobena and Flemming would have all been in rotation. Grahm would have been our primary return man. Provo would have been split wide much more often and not used on reverses. Nassib would have been in the shot gun and rolling out much more than sitting in the pocket. Kinder would have seen some wild cat work. We would have won a few more games.

I love this post. In addition to the above miracles Kevin would have played AAM and Smith much more at RB, Baily would have had 25 more catches, We would have thrown much more on 1st down. West, Foster, Kobena and Flemming would have all been in rotation. Grahm would have been our primary return man. Provo would have been split wide much more often and not used on reverses. Nassib would have been in the shot gun and rolling out much more than sitting in the pocket. Kinder would have seen some wild cat work. We would have won a few more games.

Wow. Kevin Rogers would have done exactly what you want to see happen with the offense? Does he owe you money or something?

I am too young to remember Kevin Rogers when he was here. However, if he is such a great coach, why does he never stick with a team or move up in the coaching ranks?

Because those were the recent glory years of SU football. He was the QB coach and eventually offensive coordinator (if I recall correctly) from 1991 to 1998. We won 3 Big East conference championships during that time. He coached Marvin Graves, Todd Philcox and Donovan McNabb.

We went 68-26 while he was here (.723 winning %), and went 4-2 in Bowl games. We were ranked in the season ending polls 6 times in those 8 years. Our offense was dynamite, and we laid 70 points on Rutgers in one particular blow out. During the McNabb years, we would hit 35-40 points with some regularity.

Here is our bowl record when he was here:

1998 Orange Florida L 10-31
1997 Fiesta Kansas State L 18-35
1996 Liberty Houston W 30-17
1995 Gator Clemson W 41-0
1992 Fiesta Colorado W 26-22
1991 Hall Of Fame Ohio State W 24-17

He was the QB coach of the Vikings for 5 years. That's a pretty long time.

puhhhleeese-
george deleone was twice even 3 times the oc that kevin rogers was-i said with a straight face,mustering all my powers not to laugh so hard my brain explodes

See, thats a good response KC...just a few of my own thoughts

AAM came in 40 lbs overweight and then got injured...not sure how he deserved more carries and really, I don't understand why they burned his red shirt for 12 carries...that's one I don't get

Smith- I love this kid and I agree, no idea why he didn't get more work early. Can't wait to see him this year.

Bailey caught 29 passes, 6 less than he did last year. Thats .5 less per game..not really alot less. And Ant wore out by the middle of the year...He went 70, 50 and 65 against Lville, Uconn and USF ...but you're right they should have upped his work load and thrown to him more...

Kobena and Foster got hurt, West was running wrong routes and fumbling the ball and I have no idea what Fleming was up to. Hope they all mature in the offseason.

They rolled Nassib out all day versus Uconn...didn't win us that game..

Until they fix the issues at WR and add some depth at RB, the offense is going to be inconsistent. I think RB is going to be in good shape this year. Smith, Gulley, AAM and Morris. I'm not so sure of what we have at WR yet...

I think every job he took was of his own choice with the exception of ND where Davies and the whole staff (I think) got let go. But everyplace he went, he did a great job with the QB. He had some great ones here and at ND, the guy he had (Jackson?) broke many passing records at the time, then he went to VT where the QB (Randall?) broke several passing records, then he went to the Vikings where he spent 5-6 years. QB's have developed very nicely when coached by Kevin. While he had a lot more talent around him than we do now, I think one year he was OC here we averaged 42ppg which may be a record at least of modern days (too lazy to look it up). Teams can do a lot worse than hiring Rogers as the QB coach or OC. McNabb swears by the guy.

If Kevin Rogers had been hired then Marrone wouldn't have LOST THE TEAM!!!

;)

If Kevin Rogers had been hired then Marrone wouldn't have LOST THE TEAM!!!

;)

Would have loved to have seen Marrone hire Rogers as OC/QB from the get go.

Sent from my DROIDX

Rogers is a great QB coach, great great guy. Whether he fit at Syracuse at this point in his career is debateable, the guy does have a tremendous background of coaching the qb position. I am not saying Marrone should or should have not hired him, but he can coach the QB spot there is little doubt in that. McNabb, Randall, Jackson I believe at ND, he is a good coach.

Much more huh? What was the run/pass split on 1st down?
what was it Go and while your at it please eliminate the four quarter first downs when we were behind. Lets just take a look at the first half.

See, thats a good response KC...just a few of my own thoughts

AAM came in 40 lbs overweight and then got injured...not sure how he deserved more carries and really, I don't understand why they burned his red shirt for 12 carries...that's one I don't get

Smith- I love this kid and I agree, no idea why he didn't get more work early. Can't wait to see him this year.

Bailey caught 29 passes, 6 less than he did last year. Thats .5 less per game..not really alot less. And Ant wore out by the middle of the year...He went 70, 50 and 65 against Lville, Uconn and USF ...but you're right they should have upped his work load and thrown to him more...

Kobena and Foster got hurt, West was running wrong routes and fumbling the ball and I have no idea what Fleming was up to. Hope they all mature in the offseason.

They rolled Nassib out all day versus Uconn...didn't win us that game..

Until they fix the issues at WR and add some depth at RB, the offense is going to be inconsistent. I think RB is going to be in good shape this year. Smith, Gulley, AAM and Morris. I'm not so sure of what we have at WR yet...
Baily wasnt used well. He should have played more in the slot. He was not and never will be an every down back. The staff beat him up running him off tackle way too many times and he got killed in pass protection as a blocker. In short they beat the hell out of him. AAM even out of shape should have played much more and i have no idea why they wasted Smith. Anyone could see that he had talent but needed touches not just the glaring he it comes third and one or fourth and one carry when everyone in the stadium new he was getting the ball kind of carries. Gosh that drove me nuts last year. Anyway as to the WR West should have played more. Flemming must have been in the same dog house that Doug put Sales in no idea why he didnt play. My point is that i truly think Kevin would have gotten much more out of last years team than Doug and Hack did. I think that he is a much better OC than either one of those guys and if you look at his resume it is hard to argue the point.

what was it Go and while your at it please eliminate the four quarter first downs when we were behind. Lets just take a look at the first half.

1-10 all year in the first half 77 rushes, 73 pass plays.

i went through that tedious exercise once before. we threw plenty whenever you wanted to look at it. some people didn't like that answer so the goal posts kept getting moved "oh yeah well what about first downs after punts on grass between 10 and 12 minutes into the half"

i would have guessed about 50/50 without looking. so that's confirmed.

Baily wasnt used well. He should have played more in the slot. He was not and never will be an every down back. The staff beat him up running him off tackle way too many times and he got killed in pass protection as a blocker. In short they beat the hell out of him. AAM even out of shape should have played much more and i have no idea why they wasted Smith. Anyone could see that he had talent but needed touches not just the glaring he it comes third and one or fourth and one carry when everyone in the stadium new he was getting the ball kind of carries. Gosh that drove me nuts last year. Anyway as to the WR West should have played more. Flemming must have been in the same dog house that Doug put Sales in no idea why he didnt play. My point is that i truly think Kevin would have gotten much more out of last years team than Doug and Hack did. I think that he is a much better OC than either one of those guys and if you look at his resume it is hard to argue the point.

You are putting alot on true freshman and true Sophs...AAM, Smith, West, Flemming...Syracuse doesn't sign the Marcus Lattimore's of the football world.

West was running wrong routes (USF) and fumbling the ball (Pitt) late into the season and he played a pretty fair amount this season...I don't agree about AAM, putting out of shape kids who are not ready for BCS football out there gets them hurt.

Don't get me wrong, I think all of the kids you mentioned can and will be contributors. I think they just need time. Also, if some of these kids are not ready to play Smith, West, Rene, etc. Isn't that on the position coach, not on Hacket?

for reference, here's the BC numbers for the last 5 years

2007 28.3 ppg - Matt Ryan senior year
2008 24.7 ppg
2009 24.8 ppg
2010 18.5 ppg - 109 in the country
2011 18.2 ppg - 112 in the country (Rogers was on leave for the year)

Thanks Go i stand corrected sorry for that. It just must be me but i swear it seems as if we ran off tackle about 80% of the time on first down. Anyway what the hell do i know just my opinion. In spite of all my rants i really do want Doug to succeed in a big way. I realize that with his love of Syracuse he can be to football what JB has been to Bball which is a lifer. Not too many guys will ever give that to us so i truly am pulling for him just wish he had hired a more proven OC. Thanks for the research.

Problem with AAM more than anything else is that when he first got a few downs of playing time he might as well have been still standing on the sidelines - not only could he not pick up a block but he was YARDS away from being in contact with the blitzer --- even when he knew who the blitzer was.