Key Aspects for Saturday | Syracusefan.com

Key Aspects for Saturday

Upstate

Co 2020 Cali Winner, Rcd/Rcpts/TD Rcpts (5)/TFL
3rd down conversions: SU is ranked 16th nationally in 3rd down conversion rate. Mizzou ranks 8th in 3rd down conversion defense.

Tackles for loss: SU ranks 19th nationally in TFLs per game. Mizzou ranks 91st in TFLs allowed.

They also lead the nation in fumbles recovered and are in the top 10 nationally in punt & kickoff returns, i.e. 5th & 9th respectively. Our special teams coach better have a good plan in place.

They also lead the nation in fumbles recovered and are in the top 10 nationally in punt & kickoff returns, i.e. 5th & 9th respectively. Our special teams coach better have a good plan in place.
Like I said in another thread SU has very good kickoff and punt coverage teams.

More interesting stats to note that could have an effect on the game:

SU - 82 penalties for 681 yards
Mizzou - 50 penalties for 371 yards

SU Offense - 8/12 on 4th Down
Mizzou Defense - 8/15 on 4th Down
(Maybe Doug will feel agressive)

Mizzou - 3 punt return TDs and 2 kickoff return TDs
SU - 0 and 0

Missouri has a terrible offense. They rank very low in almost every offensive category, their passing game is awful. stack the line and dare them to throw the ball. I still see a big W in this game.

Missouri has a terrible offense. They rank very low in almost every offensive category, their passing game is awful. stack the line and dare them to throw the ball. I still see a big W in this game.
I like the matchups, but we've only made a couple of games look easy and have contributed greatly to our own demise in our losses. It's a game on the road and we won't be as comfortable in communication, between players and/or coaches. Our defense is decent but theirs has been better. Our offense is much more productive than theirs but their special teams production has given them 12 yards better field position on punts and 8 yards on kickoffs than we've had, at least statistically. We've given up a number of big returns in several games so Missouri has to be a concern. It's a big part of their game. We'll need to play well and error free to win, but it should be a good competitive game.

Big returns were only in 2 games and that would be the first 2. Since then there's been nothing against us.

I wouldn't worry so much about special teams. Murphy is the dangerous returner and he's wearing a redshirt this week in practice for an undisclosed injury. Meh. Hunt had a nice return against the Vols but that wasn't him - the Vols completely whiffed.

For passing, don't underestimate the Tigers. Berkstresser is a RS freshman who started 5 games because Franklin was injured and was benched against Kentucky. It was the first time in his career Pinkel benched his starting QB during a game and it was for an obviously still injured Franklin who couldn't make a cut while jogging. Berkstresser was unimaginably horrible. Here's why the Tigers lost to Vandy; Berkstresser was 9 of 30 for 189 yards. 85 of those yards came on 1 play where the defender fell down leaving the WR open by 15 yards. As a RS freshman that's sort of expected but wow.

Against Georgia, Franklin was 25/41 for 269 yards and 2 TDs. and reinjured his shoulder with about 7 minutes left. I'd expect numbers somewhat similar this week. Unless of course Syracuse has TWO Jarvis Jones clones. Wow, that guy was as dominant of a defensive player as I've ever seen in college football. People love Manti Te'o but wow, Jones is amazing.

I wouldn't worry so much about special teams. Murphy is the dangerous returner and he's wearing a redshirt this week in practice for an undisclosed injury. Meh. Hunt had a nice return against the Vols but that wasn't him - the Vols completely whiffed.

For passing, don't underestimate the Tigers. Berkstresser is a RS freshman who started 5 games because Franklin was injured and was benched against Kentucky. It was the first time in his career Pinkel benched his starting QB during a game and it was for an obviously still injured Franklin who couldn't make a cut while jogging. Berkstresser was unimaginably horrible. Here's why the Tigers lost to Vandy; Berkstresser was 9 of 30 for 189 yards. 85 of those yards came on 1 play where the defender fell down leaving the WR open by 15 yards. As a RS freshman that's sort of expected but wow.

Against Georgia, Franklin was 25/41 for 269 yards and 2 TDs. and reinjured his shoulder with about 7 minutes left. I'd expect numbers somewhat similar this week. Unless of course Syracuse has TWO Jarvis Jones clones. Wow, that guy was as dominant of a defensive player as I've ever seen in college football. People love Manti Te'o but wow, Jones is amazing.

We may not have a Jarvis Jones, but someone on your team is bound to get Sham'wowed.

They've gone up against some really tough defenses, though.

Yes some but some have been awful like their OOC schedule and Tennessee
why do you think tenn is so awful?they have played tougher teams than us,faster teams and better defenses and have been in most games!!!!they are probably better than any team in the big east.make no mistake ---we are a low risk compared to who mizzou has played.we absolutely need to be mistake free and good st to have a chance in this game.

So they're the Midwest version of Rutgers. This year's squad has not proven it can win on the road in a stadium with more than 10 people watching.

Like I said in another thread SU has very good kickoff and punt coverage teams.

Maybe for the last few weeks, but the beginning of the season we were dreadful in those categories.

3rd down conversions: SU is ranked 16th nationally in 3rd down conversion rate. Mizzou ranks 8th in 3rd down conversion defense.

Tackles for loss: SU ranks 19th nationally in TFLs per game. Mizzou ranks 91st in TFLs allowed.

Two great keys - we have to convert 3rd downs when we have the ball (which we've done especially well lately) and we have to control their kick returns and not give up a long one.

I think we are going to blitz the hell out of them on defense, and it's great news that Bromley is expected to be near 100%. Our line play has been great lately on both sides of the ball, but for a couple slip ups. If we can bring the line play that we have been showing, we will win this game.

Upstate, question for you (or anyone else who knows; I am sure people on this board can explain this):

What exactly are the band members doing in your signature gif? I have seen the SUMB do it for many years and never understood what was going on.

Are they channeling David Bryne in the Talking Heads Video for Once in a Lifetime?

Doing jazzy hand jive dance riffs?

It is the presence of God causing religious convulsions?

Upstate, question for you (or anyone else who knows; I am sure people on this board can explain this):

What exactly are the band members doing in your signature gif? I have seen the SUMB do it for many years and never understood what was going on.

Are they channeling David Bryne in the Talking Heads Video for Once in a Lifetime?

Doing jazzy hand jive dance riffs?

It is the presence of God causing religious convulsions?
I'm pretty sure it's the same kind of thing that AO used to do after making a big play. "You can't see me" is the term for it...I think. I imagine it was used in the music video for whatever song the SUMB was playing. Or they were just playing some rap song and trying to be gangster

Maybe for the last few weeks, but the beginning of the season we were dreadful in those categories.
Kickoff team has had no problems this year, just the usual SU fan mispercetion.

why do you think tenn is so awful?they have played tougher teams than us,faster teams and better defenses and have been in most games!!!!they are probably better than any team in the big east.make no mistake ---we are a low risk compared to who mizzou has played.we absolutely need to be mistake free and good st to have a chance in this game.

Tennessee has top of the line talent everyone on their team. Horrific coaching. Listened to a Vols beat writer explain that the players are slow to the ball and appear more worried about being out of position than making a play. Found that interesting. He said 8 out of 11 starters on defense are 4 or 5 star recruits.

I wished there was a stat on how many tackles we missed. Especially ones where the player is trapped behind the line and escapes a tackle to get a big play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom