Keys vs. 'Nova | Syracusefan.com

Keys vs. 'Nova

cap2nine

Scout Team
Keys to victory vs. Villanova-

1) Rebounding- Despite our general height advantage, ‘Nova is the better rebounding team. I don’t think we have to win the rebounding war, in raw numbers necessarily, to win the game but we do need to clean our own glass effectively. We simply cannot afford to give them many 2nd chances. They pass and move the ball too well to allow them extra time and possessions to get good looks.

2) Turnovers- This has been a huge key to our success so far this season. Only St. Johns won the TO battle against us and that game could have quite easily gone the other way. We’ve enjoyed about a +6.5 TO margin average per game but Villanova does a pretty good job of taking care of the ball while creating some turnovers of their own. We are not likely force 20 against Villanova but I’d like to see us +5 while limiting our own TOs about 10.

3) The bench- The Cooney cat is out of the bag. If there was any doubt about how dangerous he can be, it was erased with his 5 for 6 (from deep) performance last week. ‘Nova will close out quickly on him and I wouldn’t expect him to provide a ton of offense in this one. IMO we will need Mike G to have an impact and make some plays when he has the chance. I won’t be surprised at all if we “go small” (for stretches, not the whole game) with Mike G getting some time at the 3.

4) The paint- In general I think we need to drive the lane and work the paint, often. Even if it’s just to collapse their zone for a quick kick-out to an open shooter, we need to put their “bigs” to a decision and force some fouls. Our real advantage will be on the inside so we have to attack, attack, attack!

This really is a HUGE game with what could be heavy seeding implications come March. A win over ‘Nova will be a real jewel in what is a relatively average OOC schedule. The Baylor win is big but they’ll finish 4th (3rd tops) in the Big 12. A win over the current, strong favorites to win the BE will be much bigger. Let’s Go Orange!!

3) The bench- The Cooney cat is out of the bag. If there was any doubt about how dangerous he can be, it was erased with his 5 for 6 (from deep) performance last week. ‘Nova will close out quickly on him and I wouldn’t expect him to provide a ton of offense in this one. IMO we will need Mike G to have an impact and make some plays when he has the chance. I won’t be surprised at all if we “go small” (for stretches, not the whole game) with Mike G getting some time at the 3.
Personally I'd be shocked. There's no reason for us to go small as we play a zone, so why take away that advantage on offense for something that has no defensive impact besides making it harder to guard the perimeter?

We need to come out playing solid d , not just the start of the 2nd half.

Feed the big men to rack up fouls on chevy nova.

Find Cooney open shots, only takes a half second window for him to release a shot.

Pray the refs dont call lame fouls on Ennis and then we should be good.

Key to the game is Grant. Villanova can't deal with his athleticism. If he's drives and he's on, we win.

Free throws, defensive rebounding, and decent shooting. Easy as 1-2-3.

If we play silent G for more than 1 minute at the 3, it will only be because of foul trouble. We aren't as good a team with him playing, at the 3 or anywhere else.

Depends on the situation. Against St. Johns for the stretch towards the end where he took over the 2 we were a better team for the situation which called for holding a lead.

I don't trust G like Cooney yet. But Cooney seems to grab and push leads for us, and Gbinije is good at holding them.

Personally I'd be shocked. There's no reason for us to go small as we play a zone, so why take away that advantage on offense for something that has no defensive impact besides making it harder to guard the perimeter?

I understand your point but Mike G can be another ball handler against Nova's press, is capable of driving to the basket and is a better shooter in general than is Grant. I'm not saying he's a better player than JG or that we want a heavy dose of Mike at the 3 all the time but I think he can be a valuable and versitile change-up in this game in particular. Mike is a viable threat from the outside, still 6'7" on the wing and won't have to be the primary handler if/when on the floor with TE and TC.

How about this: Get Ocehfu in foul trouble. If he's out of the game, their biggest player becomes 6'7 Jayvaughn Pinkston. That really opens up the lane and gives us a better chance to rebound. Ocehfu isn't Nerlens Noel, but he averages 6 rebounds and 2 blocks in only 18 minutes a game.

Depends on the situation. Against St. Johns for the stretch towards the end where he took over the 2 we were a better team for the situation which called for holding a lead.

I don't trust G like Cooney yet. But Cooney seems to grab and push leads for us, and Gbinije is good at holding them.
Agreed. If we're down I don't think G is the type of player that will lead us back into the game. But he's smart on D, rebounds really well for a guard, doesn't take bad shots, and generally takes care of the ball. He is someone I feel comfortable with in the game if we're trying to protect the lead. Plus the extra ball handler doesn't hurt.

We really have the best of both worlds at the small guard position. Cooney and Gbinije show more energy out there than anyone on the court in my opinion.

I understand your point but Mike G can be another ball handler against Nova's press, is capable of driving to the basket and is a better shooter in general than is Grant. I'm not saying he's a better player than JG or that we want a heavy dose of Mike at the 3 all the time but I think he can be a valuable and versitile change-up in this game in particular. Mike is a viable threat from the outside, still 6'7" on the wing and won't have to be the primary handler if/when on the floor with TE and TC.
Did you watch the Minnesota game? G was downright terrifying against the press. Taking him out for Grant is an even crazier statement. It's not a good change up, it doesn't help us at all.

This is what Nova is going to do. They are going to try and drive right into the chests of Coleman, Keita, Christmas, Grant, and Fair in the backline and put the onus on the officials to call fouls. Cooney and Ennis need to stop penetration out front. Limit 2nd shots and we win

This is what Nova is going to do. They are going to try and drive right into the chests of Coleman, Keita, Christmas, Grant, and Fair in the backline and put the onus on the officials to call fouls. Cooney and Ennis need to stop penetration out front. Limit 2nd shots and we win

Stopping penetration has not been their strong suit. We are very vulnerable in that area.

IMO, the most important factor is how our centers control Pinkston in the paint. We have to be in position when he catches the ball at the foul line and not send him to the line 12 times. They don't shoot it well from deep, but it sure hasn't stopped them from doing it. When they bomb away, our bigs have to go get the rebound. On the other end both our forwards need to have good days. LGO.

Did you watch the Minnesota game? G was downright terrifying against the press. Taking him out for Grant is an even crazier statement. It's not a good change up, it doesn't help us at all.

I believe you meant to say "putting him in for Grant" but regardless I will respectfully disagree. And, if I'm wrong, so be it. Actually, on the record, I hope you are right and I am wrong. If TE doesn't need any help bringing the ball up, TC is threat enough to keep Villanova honest on D and their guards' hands are not quick enough to disrupt or strip JG in the lane, then we will win going away.

Villanova has the players and experience to shred our zone. Our team will have to play its best defense all year to win. Lot's of shifts in unison. Lot's of steals in the passing lanes. Lots of movement to prevent back door baskets.

But this year's team has a way of stepping up in big close games. I think our guys come into this game much more pumped up than Villanova. A 30,000+ crowd is really going to be inspiring. I think our guys will be determined to prove they deserve to be a top team in the country. Fair and Grant will be terrific. If Cooney goes 3 for 4 from three point we should be able to counter Nova's offense. Ennis will have to make a few drives to the basket to open up his passing game. I think we have a great team. Bottom line is I think this team plays at a higher level when needed to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom