Kingsley Jonathan wins 2020 ACC Jim Tatum Award | Syracusefan.com

Kingsley Jonathan wins 2020 ACC Jim Tatum Award

GREENSBORO, N.C. (theACC.com) – Syracuse senior defensive end Kingsley Jonathan has been named the recipient of the 2020 Jim Tatum Award, the Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday.

The award is given annually in memory of the late Jim Tatum to the top senior student-athlete among the league's football players. Tatum, a two-time ACC Coach of the Year, coached in the 1950s at both Maryland and North Carolina and believed strongly in the concept of the student-athlete.

Jonathan has compiled a career 3.729 GPA while majoring in information studies. The Baltimore native is a three-time ACC All-Academic Team member and a three-time ACC Academic Honor Roll selection.

A semifinalist for the 2020 Campbell Trophy and Jason Witten Collegiate Man of the Year award, Jonathan represents Syracuse on the ACC Student-Athlete Advisory Committee and has posted a GPA of at least 3.5 every semester of his college academic career.

Starting each of Syracuse’s 11 games this fall, Jonathan recorded 32 tackles (25 solo). He posted 5.5 tackles for loss, including three quarterback sacks, while breaking up three passes. He forced one fumble and four quarterback hurries.

“Kingsley is a model student-athlete, and that’s evident in all of the extra-curricular endeavors he leads, while also taking care of business in the classroom and on the field,” said Syracuse head coach Dino Babers. “I’m thrilled that all of Kingsley’s work has been recognized by the ACC for this award.”

Jonathan is the first Syracuse student-athlete to be recognized as the ACC’s Jim Tatum Award recipient since the Orange joined the conference in 2013.

ACC Jim Tatum Award Winners
1979 - Scott Hamilton, Duke, G
1980 - No Award
1981 - Bert Krupp, LB, Virginia
1982 - Pat Chester, Virginia, S
Phil Denfield, Wake Forest, TE
1983 - Phil Denfield, Wake Forest, TE
1984 - Not Available
1985 - Kevin Anthony, North Carolina, QB
1986 - David Cardenas, Virginia, DB
1987 - Harris Barton, OT, North Carolina
1988 - Not Available
1989 - Doug Kley, Duke, DT
1990 - Charlie Cobb, NC State, C
1991 - Steve Ainsworth, Wake Forest, OL
1992 - Not Available
1993 - Thomas Burns, Virginia, LB
1994 - Ed Glenn, Clemson, TE
1995 - Russell Babb, North Carolina, OT
1996 - Daryl Bush, Florida State, DB
1997 - Stephen Phelan, Virginia, DB
Jonathan Claiborne, Maryland, S
1998 - Ebenezer Ekuban, North Carolina, DE
1999 - Noel LaMontagne, Virginia, G
2000 - Louis Marchetti, North Carolina, OT
2001 - Kyle Young, Clemson, C
2002 - Jeremy Muyres, Georgia Tech, DB
2003 - Chris Douglas, Duke, RB
2004 - Nick Novak, Maryland, PK
2005 - Brendan Dewan, Duke, LB
David Castillo, Florida State, C
2006 - Josh Wilson, Maryland, DB
2007 - Tom Santi, Virginia, TE
2008 - Darryl Richard, Georgia Tech, DT
2009 - Riley Skinner, Wake Forest, QB
2010 - Christian Ponder, Florida State, QB
2011 - Danny Coale, Virginia Tech, WR-P
2012 - Sean Renfree, Duke, QB
2013 - Perry Simmons, Duke, OT
2014 - David Helton, Duke, LB
2015 - Jeremy Cash, Duke, S
2016 - Ryan Janvion, Wake Forest, S
2017 - Braxton Berrios, Miami, WR
2018 - Christian Wilkins, Clemson, DT
2019 – Jordan Mack, Virginia, LB
2020 – Kingsley Jonathan, Syracuse, DE

JONATHAN WINS JIM TATUM AWARD
12/21/2020 9:44:00 PM | Football

Syracuse senior defensive end Kingsley Jonathan has been named the recipient of the 2020 Jim Tatum Award, the Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday.

The award is given annually in memory of the late Jim Tatum to the top senior student-athlete among the league's football players. Tatum, a two-time ACC Coach of the Year, coached in the 1950s at both Maryland and North Carolina and believed strongly in the concept of the student-athlete.

Jonathan has compiled a career 3.729 GPA while majoring in information studies. The Baltimore native is a three-time ACC All-Academic Team member and a three-time ACC Academic Honor Roll selection.

A semifinalist for the 2020 Campbell Trophy and Jason Witten Collegiate Man of the Year award, Jonathan represents Syracuse on the ACC Student-Athlete Advisory Committee and has posted a GPA of at least 3.5 every semester of his college academic career.

Jonathan is also involved in numerous off-field initiatives as well. He is in his second year of a two-year term as one of the ACC's Autonomy Representatives, with voting power on proposed rule changes in the NCAA Division I Autonomy process. 1-of-15 NCAA student-athletes with voting power. He is also a member of the Syracuse SAAC, ACC SAAC and Syracuse Diversity and Inclusion Student-Athlete Board.

Starting each of Syracuse's 11 games this fall, Jonathan recorded 32 tackles (25 solo). He posted 5.5 tackles for loss, including three quarterback sacks, while breaking up three passes. He forced one fumble and four quarterback hurries.

"Kingsley is a model student-athlete, and that's evident in all of the extra-curricular endeavors he leads, while also taking care of business in the classroom and on the field," said head coach Dino Babers. "I'm thrilled that all of Kingsley's work has been recognized by the ACC for this award."

Jonathan is the first Syracuse student-athlete to be recognized as the ACC's Jim Tatum Award recipient since the Orange joined the conference in 2013.

GREENSBORO, N.C. (theACC.com) – Syracuse senior defensive end Kingsley Jonathan has been named the recipient of the 2020 Jim Tatum Award, the Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday.

Starting each of Syracuse’s 11 games this fall, Jonathan recorded 32 tackles (25 solo). He posted 5.5 tackles for loss, including three quarterback sacks, while breaking up three passes. He forced one fumble and four quarterback hurries.

“Kingsley is a model student-athlete, and that’s evident in all of the extra-curricular endeavors he leads, while also taking care of business in the classroom and on the field,” said Syracuse head coach Dino Babers. “I’m thrilled that all of Kingsley’s work has been recognized by the ACC for this award.”

Jonathan is the first Syracuse student-athlete to be recognized as the ACC’s Jim Tatum Award recipient since the Orange joined the conference in 2013.

ACC Jim Tatum Award Winners
1979 - Scott Hamilton, Duke, G
1980 - No Award
1981 - Bert Krupp, LB, Virginia
1982 - Pat Chester, Virginia, S
Phil Denfield, Wake Forest, TE
1983 - Phil Denfield, Wake Forest, TE
1984 - Not Available
1985 - Kevin Anthony, North Carolina, QB
1986 - David Cardenas, Virginia, DB
1987 - Harris Barton, OT, North Carolina
1988 - Not Available
1989 - Doug Kley, Duke, DT
1990 - Charlie Cobb, NC State, C
1991 - Steve Ainsworth, Wake Forest, OL
1992 - Not Available
1993 - Thomas Burns, Virginia, LB
1994 - Ed Glenn, Clemson, TE
1995 - Russell Babb, North Carolina, OT
1996 - Daryl Bush, Florida State, DB
1997 - Stephen Phelan, Virginia, DB
Jonathan Claiborne, Maryland, S
1998 - Ebenezer Ekuban, North Carolina, DE
1999 - Noel LaMontagne, Virginia, G
2000 - Louis Marchetti, North Carolina, OT
2001 - Kyle Young, Clemson, C
2002 - Jeremy Muyres, Georgia Tech, DB
2003 - Chris Douglas, Duke, RB
2004 - Nick Novak, Maryland, PK
2005 - Brendan Dewan, Duke, LB
David Castillo, Florida State, C
2006 - Josh Wilson, Maryland, DB
2007 - Tom Santi, Virginia, TE
2008 - Darryl Richard, Georgia Tech, DT
2009 - Riley Skinner, Wake Forest, QB
2010 - Christian Ponder, Florida State, QB
2011 - Danny Coale, Virginia Tech, WR-P
2012 - Sean Renfree, Duke, QB
2013 - Perry Simmons, Duke, OT
2014 - David Helton, Duke, LB
2015 - Jeremy Cash, Duke, S
2016 - Ryan Janvion, Wake Forest, S
2017 - Braxton Berrios, Miami, WR
2018 - Christian Wilkins, Clemson, DT
2019 – Jordan Mack, Virginia, LB
2020 – Kingsley Jonathan, Syracuse, DE
This is one of the most prestigious honors an ACC football player can win. Maybe the most prestigious. Kingsley has a real major. He is a really smart young man,

Good to see that recognized. Thrilled he is coming back for his revenge tour, with a bunch of his fellow seniors. He and the others returning deserve a better ending than they got this year.

I don't usually get fired up by these awards but this sounds like a really nice recognition.
Kids got a hell of a life story and he's only just graduating college. As I recall, there were real questions whether he would be eligible out of high school. Always great to see a kid just absolutely crush it and I'm (selfishly) glad he's coming back for more next year.

Kids got a hell of a life story and he's only just graduating college. As I recall, there were real questions whether he would be eligible out of high school. Always great to see a kid just absolutely crush it and I'm (selfishly) glad he's coming back for more next year.
I thought he graduated highschool early?

I thought he graduated highschool early?
Perhaps I'm misremembering, but I thought there was real concern that since he had moved from Nigeria in high school that some of his classes may not count.

Then we learned his name was Kingsley Jonathan and not Jonathan Kingsley on signing day. That was fun.

It wasn't about his eligibility out of HS. It has to do with an incorrect classification in NC, a transfer to St. Frances in Baltimore and transcripts from Africa and NC. He graduated on time. No eligibility issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom