Knicks! (and other NBA action) | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Knicks! (and other NBA action)

I got an NBA question for Knicks as I think he and Mike are the two biggest NBA fans on this board.

If you were a C's fan which of the 3 scenarios would you want.
1. Make the Eastern conference finals this year but the Nets pick ends up like 7th.
2. Just make the playoffs lose first round but the Nets pick is 1st overall.
3. Trade the Nets pick for Boogie Cousins and play for this year and future with him.

I'd agree with Melancer46 - and go with option 2.

Outside of someone like a Justise Winslow falling (or a crazier version with Paul Pierce falling), the difference between pick 1 and pick 7 is HUGE. Like franchise-changing huge. So I would scrap option 1.

Usually, I would say arguably the best center in the league would be fantastic to build around, but Boogie is such a crap shoot. He hasn't really been able to stay healthy the last few years, which if it's Anthony Davis, you live with, but not with Boogie. I don't think he's as bad a seed as they make him out to be, but when you have young players and a young coach, I think there is a real danger there. Plus, even with Boogie, you aren't winning a title. It's not happening. You won't even get out of the East in the near term. As long as LeBron is in Cleveland, the next 2-3 years are very long shots for anyone else.

I would go with #2. Brad Stevens is arguably a top five coach in the league. You have some nice pieces. If you get Ben Simmons, you now can make a three year plan building around a kid who is selfless, makes the right plays and has huge, huge potential. That will attract FAs (to an extent). You're look at making a real run 3-5 years down the road (like the TWolves are approaching now) and you have arguably the most exciting draft pick by Boston since Paul Pierce (and really Len Bias). If Durant stays in the West, all of a sudden your path opens up once LeBron starts his real decline.

Last edited:
I think Memphis and Houston are in trouble this year. The Achilles heal for Memphis is a lack of shooting and Mike Conley got ripped apart by Steph Curry last night. It might be time for them to consider trading z-bo for picks or shooting.

Houston is one of the worst defensive teams in the league early, and they lost key depth on the second unit.

The clippers have been ok, but CP3's numbers are down and now Redick is hurt. These 3 teams have zero chance to beat the Warriors out west.

I got an NBA question for Knicks as I think he and Mike are the two biggest NBA fans on this board.

If you were a C's fan which of the 3 scenarios would you want.
1. Make the Eastern conference finals this year but the Nets pick ends up like 7th.
2. Just make the playoffs lose first round but the Nets pick is 1st overall.
3. Trade the Nets pick for Boogie Cousins and play for this year and future with him.

I think A is clearly the worst option. (Unless by making the conference finals you get some situation where a few of their young players really step up and become guys you can really build around)

I really can't decide on Boogie. He has all the skills to be one of the 4 or 5 best players in the league if you ask me. And to be fair, so could Ben Simmons (who we are figuring is the top pick). But I've already seen Boogie do it at the NBA level. BUT there is also the whole Boogie is a headcase thing. So I guess it comes down to Ben Simmons reaching his potential vs Boogie doing the same, and based on what I've seen, I guess you'd have to go with Ben Simmons? (Also there are the financial issues; Simmons will be on a much better contract than Boogie, but I really do think that's secondary; if Boogie becomes one of the 4 or 5 best players in the league his contract is basically inconsequential; all of those type guys are bargains at the max salary anyway)

I'd agree with Melancer46 - and go with option 2.

Outside of someone like a Justise Winslow falling (or a crazier version with Paul Pierce falling), the difference between pick 1 and pick 7 is HUGE. Like franchise-changing huge. So I would scrap option 1.

And even in that example; the difference between Towns and Winslow is probably going to be pretty damn huge.

Knicks win in OKC. Good win for them. BTW the 76ers are embarrassment to the NBA.

0-13 and they just suck. If their is justice they won't win a lottery and be rewarded this crap basketball product they put on the floor. Other teams rebuild and get better. This constant tanking is stealing money from its fans who pay to go to games. If I were an NBA fan in Philly I wouldn't pay for a single ticket.

The East looks pretty good so far this year. I think both the Knicks and Celtics have good long term potential.

Philly is a cluster. They have some good young players in the front court, but they have no NBA caliber guards whatsoever.

I don't think the Lakers are too much better out west tbh. They have no idea how to rebuild.

Big win last night. Still trying to put the pieces together. Knicks lack of a true floor leader comes up at the end of games when they need points and they come up empty possession after possession. I guess grant will have to grow into it. I would love to see Galloway finish games over Calderon given that Calderon is not really giving us anything but I guess that will have to wait until next year.

Knicks win in OKC. Good win for them. BTW the 76ers are embarrassment to the NBA.

0-13 and they just suck. If their is justice they won't win a lottery and be rewarded this crap basketball product they put on the floor. Other teams rebuild and get better. This constant tanking is stealing money from its fans who pay to go to games. If I were an NBA fan in Philly I wouldn't pay for a single ticket.

TRUST. THE. PROCESS.

At some point they're going to have to be good, right? If the Lakers pick is outside the top 3, they get that, plus their pick, plus I think Saric is coming over next year

TRUST. THE. PROCESS.

At some point they're going to have to be good, right? If the Lakers pick is outside the top 3, they get that, plus their pick, plus I think Saric is coming over next year
Lakers look like a bottom 3 team along with Philly and Brooklyn. So either Philly will have two top 5 picks or it will be abother year wasted.

I just hate hiw noncompetitive they look and their fans are just getting screwed. I get the idea but to be this crappy so many years in a row just feels like paying for tickets is stupid. I went to the 6ers-Hornets game last night and it was embarrassing. Noel and Okafor looked legit NBA bigs but the team was garbage.

Unless they get Ben Simmons I don't see them improving in the near future. Simmons looks like the best NBA prospect in the draft since Durant or maybe John Wall depending on how you feel about him.

I like the idea that bottom 5 teams in the NBA get the same amount of lottery balls. So those bottom 5 don't just tank at the end of the year. If the tanking is with the teams 5-8 at the bottom it is better than rewarding the worst of the worst from losing on purposes.

I think A is clearly the worst option. (Unless by making the conference finals you get some situation where a few of their young players really step up and become guys you can really build around)

I really can't decide on Boogie. He has all the skills to be one of the 4 or 5 best players in the league if you ask me. And to be fair, so could Ben Simmons (who we are figuring is the top pick). But I've already seen Boogie do it at the NBA level. BUT there is also the whole Boogie is a headcase thing. So I guess it comes down to Ben Simmons reaching his potential vs Boogie doing the same, and based on what I've seen, I guess you'd have to go with Ben Simmons? (Also there are the financial issues; Simmons will be on a much better contract than Boogie, but I really do think that's secondary; if Boogie becomes one of the 4 or 5 best players in the league his contract is basically inconsequential; all of those type guys are bargains at the max salary anyway)

And even in that example; the difference between Towns and Winslow is probably going to be pretty damn huge.
With the cap going up Cousins contract is actually really friendly, and will be for a few years.

TRUST. THE. PROCESS.

I am torn, this might be the longest rebuilding project in NBA history. Plus they picked three guys that play the post in an era dominated by wings and guards. It could turn out better for them, but they aren't going to be good next year either.

Last edited:
With the cap going up Cousins contract is actually really friendly, and will be for a few years.

Yeah his contract isn't bad at all (he'll be a FA after 2018, at which point he'll cost a ton, but still worth it) but the point is just that Ben Simmons will be on the rookie scale contract, so he'll be making a lot less. Like I said, if Boogie is one of the elite players, the contract is irrelevant. It's a secondary consideration.

Also I was mocking the trust the process stuff, if that wasnt clear

The Knicks are top five in the NBA in FG% defense, and 3pt% defense. It's too bad they didn't have a pg. I think that's all they need to be a contender. The bench is good. They should go after Mike Conley in the offseason.

The Knicks are top five in the NBA in FG% defense, and 3pt% defense. It's too bad they didn't have a pg. I think that's all they need to be a contender. The bench is good. They should go after Mike Conley in the offseason.
My way premature guess - Conley signs with the Spurs.

I am torn, this might be the longest rebuilding project in NBA history. Plus they picked three guys that play the post in an era dominated by wings and guards. It could turn out better for them, but they aren't going to be good next year either.

Noel had to go to the bench bc he and Okafor can't be on the floor at the same time.

I think they are in real trouble.

Brett Brown looks like he's about to take a sabbatical in the middle of one of these games.

Noel had to go to the bench bc he and Okafor can't be on the floor at the same time.

I think they are in real trouble.

Brett Brown looks like he's about to take a sabbatical in the middle of one of these games.
Boston turned down Marcus Smart for Nerlens Noel. I think Boston should consider that. If they could get more from Philly.

Smart is the type of player Philly needs in the backcourt. There guards are awful.

Boston turned down Marcus Smart for Nerlens Noel. I think Boston should consider that. If they could get more from Philly.

Smart is the type of player Philly needs in the backcourt. There guards are awful.

I think he would be perfect in Boston. And if the Nets keep losing and then Boston can get Ben Simmons...

Full disclosure, I think Ben Simmons is going to be awesome in the NBA. I would take him over Skal.

Boston turned that one down? Man. I'm sure Smart is a good defensive guard, but he's a career 36% shooter.
Noel is obviously no great shooter either, but he's an impact defender at a more important defensive position. Would do that deal from the Philly POV.

My way premature guess - Conley signs with the Spurs.

That would be a tough one for the Spurs to put together; they have about $82 million in salary committed; cap will be like 90 million. Duncan, Manu, West; they could all retire I guess. They could use him though; Parker isn't the same player he was a few years ago.

Boston turned that one down? Man. I'm sure Smart is a good defensive guard, but he's a career 36% shooter.
Noel is obviously no great shooter either, but he's an impact defender at a more important defensive position. Would do that deal from the Philly POV.

That would be a tough one for the Spurs to put together; they have about $82 million in salary committed; cap will be like 90 million. Duncan, Manu, West; they could all retire I guess. They could use him though; Parker isn't the same player he was a few years ago.
I'm banking on the whole Spurs are the smartest thing being a factor in all that stuff working out.

Yeah, I'm calling shenanigans. I think the reported trade offer was Marcus Smart, Kelly Olynyk, #16 pick, and #28 pick for Nerlens Noel and the #3 pick and it was Philly that turned it down (which was a no-brainer IMO). If Philly ever offered Noel straight up for Smart, I think Ainge would jump all over it.

Yeah, I'm calling shenanigans. I think the reported trade offer was Marcus Smart, Kelly Olynyk, #16 pick, and #28 pick for Nerlens Noel and the #3 pick and it was Philly that turned it down (which was a no-brainer IMO). If Philly ever offered Noel straight up for Smart, I think Ainge would jump all over it.
The trade you listed was during the Draft. In September was the Smart-Noel trade. The offer above was an obvious no-brainer to decline. If the Sixers Embiid, Okafor, and Noel healthy they had to trade one. Once Embiid was shut down they could rotate both.

Have you seen the guards Philly is putting out there? Marcus Smart while not great would have been a foundation piece for their backcourt.

The trade you listed was during the Draft. In September was the Smart-Noel trade. The offer above was an obvious no-brainer to decline. If the Sixers Embiid, Okafor, and Noel healthy they had to trade one. Once Embiid was shut down they could rotate both.

Have you seen the guards Philly is putting out there? Marcus Smart while not great would have been a foundation piece for their backcourt.

I get that Philly's guards suck, but Smart still isn't the difference maker that Noel can be. I think Philly is pretty much hopeless unless they get lucky and really nail this upcoming draft, but they'd have to be getting an additional 1st round pick along with Smart for a Smart-Noel swap to make sense IMO. There's just no way that Danny Ainge would have turned down a straight up swap of the two.

Totally agree; Noel for Smart would be a ripoff for the Celtics. Smart is a 36% shooter!! And Noel can be a difference maker as a defender. offense, not so much. But he could be Ben Wallace.

Totally agree; Noel for Smart would be a ripoff for the Celtics. Smart is a 36% shooter!! And Noel can be a difference maker as a defender. offense, not so much. But he could be Ben Wallace.

Noel is straight defense at this point. His fg% is not good. He doesn't have any real offensive moves.

I'm not saying Smart for Noel is a fair trade, but he's got some work to do.

This is coming from a guy who drafted him in the early rounds of fantasy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom