Knicks411, SeattleCuse, other stats geeks | Syracusefan.com

Knicks411, SeattleCuse, other stats geeks

moqui

generational talent
I have Pomeroy's entire 2011-12 data set including standard deviations and z scores, if you are interested.

For those who don't know stats, z scores are more informative than simple rankings - for example, look at offensive turnover percentage, what I think is one of the bellweather stats when we consider potential SU opponents. Syracuse is excellent at limiting turnovers, just 15.9% of all possessions, good for 5th in the nation. Notre Dame, the only team to beat Syracuse, is also very good - 16%, 7th in the nation.

Purdue is #1, 13.6%. But that number doesn't relay just how good they are at valuing the ball. Purdue's z score is -3.15, more than a full standard deviation better than SU or Notre Dame (-2.08 and -2.03, respectively). Those of us with a background in statistics recognize that as a significantly better level of performance.

So, I have all that data if anyone is interested.

I have Pomeroy's entire 2011-12 data set including standard deviations and z scores, if you are interested.

For those who don't know stats, z scores are more informative than simple rankings - for example, look at offensive turnover percentage, what I think is one of the bellweather stats when we consider potential SU opponents. Syracuse is excellent at limiting turnovers, just 15.9% of all possessions, good for 5th in the nation. Notre Dame, the only team to beat Syracuse, is also very good - 16%, 7th in the nation.

Purdue is #1, 13.6%. But that number doesn't relay just how good they are at valuing the ball. Purdue's z score is -3.15, more than a full standard deviation better than SU or Notre Dame (-2.08 and -2.03, respectively). Those of us with a background in statistics recognize that as a significantly better level of performance.

So, I have all that data if anyone is interested.

What is the null hypothesis here? Zero, the national mean, or some other measure?

What is the null hypothesis here? Zero, the national mean, or some other measure?
no hypothesis, it is just for comparison purposes. I think z scores give us a better means for making a judgement about a particular team's performance in some measure than do raw averages or simple rankings.

Purdue's very impressive, but -2.08 is nothing to shake a stick at. I've never seen an SU team limit turnovers nearly this well.

Bump.

I never saw this thread on Monday - do you have a spreadsheet of all of the data?

I'd like to take a look at it, drop me a pm and I'll send you my email address.