Knight to Be Ousted @ ESPN | Syracusefan.com

Knight to Be Ousted @ ESPN

Knight: The Worst?

• Total voters

Col. Bleep

All American
Thank God the worst abuse* ever foisted on TV basketball fans - Bobby Knight as a broadcast analyst - is ending.

And he's being put out to pasture by an SU alum.

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/d9KdL?...um=newsletter&utm_campaign=college-basketball

Never has there been a broadcaster as unprepared and as lackadaisical. If he had a player who gave such little effort the guy immediately would have gotten the boot.

But Knight couldn't care less. Must have just been easy cash for him regardless of how much he was embarrassing himself.

* John Thompson is the same way...but at least he was basically relegated to radio on national broadcasts.

Thank God the worst abuse* ever foisted on TV basketball fans - Bobby Knight as a broadcast analyst - is ending.

And he's being put out to pasture by an SU alum.

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/d9KdL?...um=newsletter&utm_campaign=college-basketball

Never has there been a broadcaster as unprepared and as lackadaisical. If he had a player who gave such little effort the guy immediately would have gotten the boot.

But Knight couldn't care less. Must have just been easy cash for him regardless of how much he was embarrassing himself.

* John Thompson is the same way...but at least he was basically relegated to radio on national broadcasts.

I thought prior to this year he did a decent job but he has slipped this season.

I'll never be able to determine the importance of a late game possession again. Does this put them up by 2 possessions or 3 possessions? Is that a good thing?

i havent heard much of him this year. I did watch the UK-Vandy game, and that was very odd.

but i always liked him. and he always loved the cuse.

Heard him for one game recently, thought he did a great job as always. He has an interesting take and love the pump fake. ESPN sucks.

Good, he talks for 2 minutes after a play has already happened dissecting that play like none of us have ever played the game before and are just learning. Enjoy retirement Bobby, time to let the game go.

Really liked him up until this season. Seems to have slowed down quite a bit. Some weeks I can't even find him on TV.

All you young guys here, you will have a sad life-lesson to learn. Everyone gets older, and aging affects some more than others. I thought Bobby was a great analyst when he began his ESPN gig. Remember him at that pre-season tourney at MSG in 2009? He fell in love with our unranked team and praised it to the skies. Three days later ... we went from unranked to #10, thus beginning a magical season that lasted until Arinze got hurt. Bobby has clearly lost something this year, and it is sometimes painful to watch. But let's not make fun of him. That may be you some day.

Knight is the only color guy that ever that told me something I didn't already know. Everybody else is just schtick.

All you young guys here, you have a sad life lesson to learn. Everyone gets older, and aging affects some more than others. I thought Bobby was a great analyst when he began his ESPN gig. Remember him at that pre-season tourney at MSG in 2009? He fell in love with our unranked team and praised it to the skies. Three days later ... we went from unranked to #10, thus beginning a magical season that lasted until Arinze got hurt. Bobby has clearly lost something this year, and it is sometimes painful to watch. But let's not make fun of him. That may be you some day.
Agree 100%! When Knight first started, he was very good and brought something extra to the table. Bobby is 72, cut him some slack!

From a few weeks ago: "See, what he did there? He had his feet square to the basket, his shoulders square to the basket and his arms square to the basket. I liked that a lot. Being square is a big part of this game, see."

Time to put ol' general out to pasture... no need to denigrate him on his way out the door.

I thought he was very good up until this year... Let's just hope he enjoys retirement and that his "oddness" this year is just some bluehair growing in and isn't something more health-related/degenerative...

Huge Bobby Knight fan, wish he lost in 87, but oh well.

if youve never played for a disciplinarean coach, youve missed out. Bobby was the gold standard.

liked him in the booth, i havnt really heard much of him this year to comment.

regardless, if hes off tv altogether, that will be sad.

Well, this sucks. Knight is the only college bball announcer that consistently tells me things I don't already know about the game, and aside from Raf/Bilas the only analyst I don't have on "mute" all game.

(BTW, Hubie Brown is the only NBA announcer that teaches me something almost every time I watch a game he's doing.)

Well, this sucks. Knight is the only college bball announcer that consistently tells me things I don't already know about the game, and aside from Raf/Bilas the only analyst I don't have on "mute" all game.

(BTW, Hubie Brown is the only NBA announcer that teaches me something almost every time I watch a game he's doing.)

the problem is by the time he finishes telling you something you dont already know about the game 1 minute of game action has passed.

Not a corporate shill. Now we are left with yes men who have never played the game and only read their producers notes before going on the air. And Dookie V, their product just lost even more credibility, if that was possible.

Sorry. The man does know a lot about the game of basketball but he is not able to perform his job at an acceptable level. Sucks that this happens with old age but it's a part of life. Make way for the new.

I thought prior to this year he did a decent job but he has slipped this season.

Completely agree. He was perfectly fine [I guess I disagree with the OP], but this year he's looked unprepared, or at the very least as though something were off. Not going to throw out the "senility" card, but he has definitely looked off of his game this year.

From a few weeks ago: "See, what he did there? He had his feet square to the basket, his shoulders square to the basket and his arms square to the basket. I liked that a lot. Being square is a big part of this game, see."
That's actually great advice! A lot of kids now a days try to showboat way to much and get out of control or take circus shots, being square to the basket makes everyone a better shooter. Btw, I think my father who was a coach told me that 1000 times growing up.

I liked Knight a lot when he started. He had the odd quirk but the overall package was very good.

The signs of old age unfortunately have really caught up to him this year. He didn't need to be prepared much before games -- he could just observe and analyze. But his mind just is not as quick anymore.