Knight to Be Ousted @ ESPN | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Knight to Be Ousted @ ESPN

Knight: The Worst?

• Total voters
Is it old age or is it that he just doesn't give a crap anymore?

I thought it was much more the latter.

Not a corporate shill. Now we are left with yes men who have never played the game and only read their producers notes before going on the air. And Dookie V, their product just lost even more credibility, if that was possible.

Really, Knight was the only guy ESPN had who played basketball? Interesting.

Bobby Knight would never denigrate the game he loves.

Maybe ESPN is kust givin Bobby a shot fake?

Mike, at times it really seemed that he didn't know the rules. I know how crazy that sounds but I couldn't believe the things he was saying. And I liked listening to him a lot.

We had a guy Saturday that struggled to ID our leading scorer, and seemed to screw up which team was which on our second to last possession.

Bobby's fine even if he has been fairly awful this year - I still like listening to him more than some others.

Mike, at times it really seemed that he didn't know the rules. I know how crazy that sounds but I couldn't believe the things he was saying. And I liked listening to him a lot.

Can't remember the game I was watching but I remember thinking the same thing

Well, this sucks. Knight is the only college bball announcer that consistently tells me things I don't already know about the game, and aside from Raf/Bilas the only analyst I don't have on "mute" all game.

(BTW, Hubie Brown is the only NBA announcer that teaches me something almost every time I watch a game he's doing.)

Hubie Brown is a walking basketball encyclopedia. I watched a DVD where he explained how cutters should read screens--clearest, simplest explanation I have ever seen or heard on this subject. I still use his method to teach this fundamental skill to young players.

Good riddance. His decline started last year. Didn't know scores, rosters, and of course we needed to hear about shot fakes all game.

Really, Knight was the only guy ESPN had who played basketball? Interesting.
yea, what was meant to be a poke at ESPN management missed the mark. 2 demerits for me. I do hope coach Knight returns in some capacity to basketball announcing, his frankness is refreshing. And it was the Kentucky Vandy game where he couldn't tell the difference between game and shot clock.

All you young guys here, you have a sad life lesson to learn. Everyone gets older, and aging affects some more than others. I thought Bobby was a great analyst when he began his ESPN gig. Remember him at that pre-season tourney at MSG in 2009? He fell in love with our unranked team and praised it to the skies. Three days later ... we went from unranked to #10, thus beginning a magical season that lasted until Arinze got hurt. Bobby has clearly lost something this year, and it is sometimes painful to watch. But let's not make fun of him. That may be you some day.

I certainly agree with the premise of your post that our elders deserve utmost respect. That said, I just don't think Bob Knight was that good of a person for most of his adult life.

I'll take bobby knight in broadcasting over magic Johnson anyday, his one line incomplete sentences in Indiana-mich st game comical

We had a guy Saturday that struggled to ID our leading scorer, and seemed to screw up which team was which on our second to last possession.

Bobby's fine even if he has been fairly awful this year - I still like listening to him more than some others.

That guy was the worst. I swear I heard him call Triche "Teague" at least a couple of times.

Sad to hear.

I'm not a huge Knight fan, but I appreciated his knowledge of the game and his frankness.

I certainly agree with the premise of your post that our elders deserve utmost respect. That said, I just don't think Bob Knight was that good of a person for most of his adult life.
If you think Bob Knight was a task master for a coach, you'd never have been able to play for my high school football coach. Knight's problem was his toughness was in view for the entire TV audience.

Musab
Really liked him up until this season. Seems to have slowed down quite a bit. Some weeks I can't even find him on TV.
==b

Musburger, too. They have both suddenly become very old in their jobs.

I liked Knight a lot when he started. He had the odd quirk but the overall package was very good.

The signs of old age unfortunately have really caught up to him this year. He didn't need to be prepared much before games -- he could just observe and analyze. But his mind just is not as quick anymore.

His lack of preparation shows in his inability to name the players. He used to be sharp enough to still pick up their names during the course of the game but that part of his memory and sharpness have slipped in this regard. And as others have said, he takes a bit too long to finish a point that he would make a bit quicker in past years.

Thank God the worst abuse* ever foisted on TV basketball fans - Bobby Knight as a broadcast analyst - is ending.

And he's being put out to pasture by an SU alum.

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/d9KdL?...um=newsletter&utm_campaign=college-basketball

Never has there been a broadcaster as unprepared and as lackadaisical. If he had a player who gave such little effort the guy immediately would have gotten the boot.

But Knight couldn't care less. Must have just been easy cash for him regardless of how much he was embarrassing himself.

* John Thompson is the same way...but at least he was basically relegated to radio on national broadcasts.

You obviously never saw Bjorn Borg announce tennis - Knight isn't anywhere close to Bjorn's league of badness.

You obviously never saw Bjorn Borg announce tennis - Knight isn't anywhere close to Bjorn's league of badness.

Another example of TV going after a big name just because he's a big name.
Regardless of any ability or work ethic.
The TV networks and cable channels do that for every sport.
They seem to think fans will flock to hear some particular announcer...not just to watch the game.

Bobby Knight was a terrific analyst. I haven't watched a game with him this year, so I'm not sure if he's slipped or not, but when he's done 'Cuse games before he was always great.

All you young guys here, you will have a sad life lesson to learn. Everyone gets older, and aging affects some more than others. I thought Bobby was a great analyst when he began his ESPN gig. Remember him at that pre-season tourney at MSG in 2009? He fell in love with our unranked team and praised it to the skies. Three days later ... we went from unranked to #10, thus beginning a magical season that lasted until Arinze got hurt. Bobby has clearly lost something this year, and it is sometimes painful to watch. But let's not make fun of him. That may be you some day.

I thought (assumed) it was just me who thought Knight has really slipped. I wonder if he's just not putting in the time and doesn't really care to. Didn't like his schtick as a coach though he was great. Seemed like he coasted after IU. Was great for a year or so as an analyst but coasted again... Not just age but passion too- , he's lost it.

All you young guys here, you will have a sad life lesson to learn. Everyone gets older, and aging affects some more than others. I thought Bobby was a great analyst when he began his ESPN gig. Remember him at that pre-season tourney at MSG in 2009? He fell in love with our unranked team and praised it to the skies. Three days later ... we went from unranked to #10, thus beginning a magical season that lasted until Arinze got hurt. Bobby has clearly lost something this year, and it is sometimes painful to watch. But let's not make fun of him. That may be you some day.

I thought (assumed) it was just me who thought Knight has really slipped. I wonder if he's just not putting in the time and doesn't really care to. Didn't like his schtick as a coach though he was great. Seemed like he coasted after IU. Was great for a year or so as an analyst but coasted again... Not just age but passion too- , he's lost it.

If you think Bob Knight was a task master for a coach, you'd never have been able to play for my high school football coach. Knight's problem was his toughness was in view for the entire TV audience.

I think real men are able to be tough without being brutish and immature bullies. I can't speak to your football coach as I don't know them.

I love Bobby Knight, My dad and uncle had the pleasure of meeting him on a fishing trip in Canada the year he was canned at Indiana by chance. They wound up going out on the same boat as Bobby the second day after eating dinner with him the 2nd night Great stories, great guy. Flawed for sure but many of us are. Sad to see him go. I have watched several games over the years just to listen to him. You may not agree with everything he has done and I certainly understand that but his place in the history of the game simply can't be measured