Kobe Bryant - Amnesty his Contract? | Syracusefan.com

Kobe Bryant - Amnesty his Contract?

IthacaMatt

Old Timer / Unofficial Contributor for 25+ years
I saw this article today, with Kobe Bryant saying he wants a say in who the Lakers hire as their next coach.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/...ts-role-picking-los-angeles-lakers-next-coach

This from a guy who only played 7 games last season because of knee problems and a torn achilles tendon. He's trying to make a comeback at age 36, and he has 2 years left on his contract at $24M a year.

The Lakers are not going to win another title with Kobe, and in my opinion, they ought to show him the door. He's always been a terrible teammate, very selfish. I say cut him loose and start over right now, without the baggage, as you rebuild the team for a new coach.

Agree or disagree?

You can't amnesty any contract signed after the lockout. And the Lakers already used it on Metta World Peace anyway.

If it was possible, I would agree. But they just signed him last year so I doubt they agree.

It would take a lot of guts even if they could. This guy was the franchise. A lot of fans would never forgive the Lakers.

Cap hog. $30 mil per season leaving about $38 mil under the cap to fill out the entire rest of the roster? Total opposite of D Wade.

I don't think Kobe realizes his career is over yet. I don't believe he has the influence in the lakers organization that he once had

They just gave him that moronic contract a few months ago even after back to back seasons with serious injuries and declining skills. They wont attract a top level coach because you can't win with a team that has Nash and Kobe taking up 60% of the salary cap. They can afford 1 max guy but no top level free agent wants to play with Kobe or on a bad team. The Lakers demise was delayed by Jerry West hooking them up with Gasol, but there's no stopping it now.

Cap hog. $30 mil per daving about $38 mil under the cap to fill out the entire rest of the roster? Total opposite of D Wade.
I am always astounded by people who jealously blame players for taking what is offered. I am certain Iif the offer was $15M b/c the Lakers needed $30M for Bosh and James, Kobe would have gladly accepted.

I am always astounded by people who jealously blame players for taking what is offered. I am certain Iif the offer was $15M b/c the Lakers needed $30M for Bosh and James, Kobe would have gladly accepted.
He has to know after he gets his that leaves room for only 1 other high caliber player and a bunch of low paid role players. I don't care what he gets and I'm not anti player. Just sayin his deal is well above max so that has to really cut into what is left for the rest of the rest of the roster. Maybe he agrees to a re-structuring later but it's very rare for a guy to accept less AFTER he signs.

He has to know after he gets his that leaves room for only 1 other high caliber player and a bunch of low paid role players. I don't care what he gets and I'm not anti player. Just sayin his deal is well above max so that has to really cut into what is left for the rest of the rest of the roster. Maybe he agrees to a re-structuring later but it's very rare for a guy to accept less AFTER he signs.

Exactly. He's been a player for 17 years now. He should have crazy money in the bank. Can't they do some kind of deferred compensation? Couldn't they restructure his agreement?

Exactly. He's been a player for 17 years now. He should have crazy money in the bank. Can't they do some kind of deferred compensation? Couldn't they restructure his agreement?

Don't think any of that stuff is allowed by the CBA.

Don't think any of that stuff is allowed by the CBA.
Kind of a shame. Ichiro gets like 50k a year in to his 50s or something like that. I think deferred comp is in the interests of everyone in professional sports.

Kind of a shame. Ichiro gets like 50k a year in to his 50s or something like that. I think deferred comp is in the interests of everyone in professional sports.

The NFL too, I believe (or at least they used to permit it ...).

To be fair, it's possible they can defer the compensation, but that doesn't change the cap hit, which what I figured this was about. I know the Mets have deferred payments to Beltran and I think Wright as well, (plus Bonilla) but that doesn't change how much it counts against the luxury tax. (As if the mets bump up against that)

To be fair, it's possible they can defer the compensation, but that doesn't change the cap hit, which what I figured this was about. I know the Mets have deferred payments to Beltran and I think Wright as well, (plus Bonilla) but that doesn't change how much it counts against the luxury tax. (As if the mets bump up against that)
Ah, that's true on the cap hit, which is the thing really.

I think the Lakers' current brain trust is a clown show, but I will defend then on this. They know that they are facing several down seasons before they can field a championship caliber team again, and they need to have a marquee star in the fold that they can market around in the interim. Kobe's deal looks bad if you are trying to win now, but the rumored plan is to get Kevin Love in 2015 and Durant in 2016. The Kobe deal fits all three goals - keeps a signature star on the roster, while leaving room to get Love next year and dropping off the books in time for Durant's free agency.

I think the Lakers' current brain trust is a clown show, but I will defend then on this. They know that they are facing several down seasons before they can field a championship caliber team again, and they need to have a marquee star in the fold that they can market around in the interim. Kobe's deal looks bad if you are trying to win now, but the rumored plan is to get Kevin Love in 2015 and Durant in 2016. The Kobe deal fits all three goals - keeps a signature star on the roster, while leaving room to get Love next year and dropping off the books in time for Durant's free agency.

That's not half bad. I can buy that vision.