Kudos to Beck | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Kudos to Beck

He’s still dealing with the same personnel and injury issues though.

I saw a very different called game today. We saw plays called that had worked in September. We saw 4 maybe 5 passes over the middle. We saw a toss sweep. We saw a jet sweep. We saw some more counters. We didn’t see any wr screens to Villari, or at all. It was almost a 180 from the last few games.

Maybe the difference was one coach was not involved in the game plan?
Well, considering teams aren’t really playing the pass against us right now, things look better.

Well, considering teams aren’t really playing the pass against us right now, things look better.

That’s fair, I just think there was a different flow, things mixed up better, and things called that hadn’t been called in 2 months. We threw a bunch of slants, good safe (forwards) passes. Things that should’ve been done since that first Wilson game. Maybe with Babers it’s exactly the same but I’m skeptical.

Perhaps Mullen will retain him? Although a new HC usually brings in who he wants as a staff I think NUNZ, and BECK are very smart and should be retained - if Mullen is confused by his two year absence.
Mullen has the advantage of having seen Syracuse operate a few times this season. I would guess he will have pretty strong opinions on the job the assistants are doing.

Mullen has the advantage of having seen Syracuse operate a few times this season. I would guess he will have pretty strong opinions on the job the assistants are doing.
If it is Mullen, he is going to have an even stronger opinion of the coaches he is familiar with, the connections he has, and the staff he prefers.

They can't play the pass because the 3 man running game will gouge them. It's like Bear Bryant said, "What Alabama is gonna do is run the football".

He’s still dealing with the same personnel and injury issues though.

I saw a very different called game today. We saw plays called that had worked in September. We saw 4 maybe 5 passes over the middle. We saw a toss sweep. We saw a jet sweep. We saw some more counters. We didn’t see any wr screens to Villari, or at all. It was almost a 180 from the last few games.

Maybe his hands weren’t tied but the difference was one coach not involved in the game plan?
Wake way over played the run. There were windows that didn’t exist much of the year.

you cant throw the WR screens cause Shrader cant throw that pass any more and was never very good at it anyway.

This style is a load to stop if you commit to the heavy runs with less bad plays and the QB can make the simple throws.. But it also requires the getting hit or letting some other players run it a few times to take some of the hits off the QB.. Then when the TE can also throw a little its even better.

With the TE though then its tough to run this offense unless you bave 2 QBs

I don’t think so. I think injuries did their thing.

Offense was pretty darn good first 5 games. Issue was not having a back up QB on the roster.

It’s amazing how inept we were at QB behind Shrader, 3 years in a row.

But it’s also amazing what we were able to achieve this year once we accepted it.

I think two things happened. Shrader's shoulder was healed just the slightest and he also said, "Screw it, it's my last game. Who cares if it hurts?" And they were able to work in some wrinkles after building on what they've been doing the previous few weeks. Villari was comfortable doing things that he wasn't a week or two ago. We were ready to take advantage of what we knew Wake Forests assumptions would be about our weaknesses.

Look who was behind the re-development of the offensive team in the past four weeks. Villari's skills were developed under Nunzio as a QB and RB, and the creativity of the offense and Wildcat scheme under Beck. Makes sense to recognize those skills for consideration with the new coach.

I wouldn’t have any issue with Beck being back. This was year 1 for him a an OC and there is a learning curve. However, the QB recruiting has to improve dramatically or he wouldn’t get a third year from me.

That’s fair, I just think there was a different flow, things mixed up better, and things called that hadn’t been called in 2 months. We threw a bunch of slants, good safe (forwards) passes. Things that should’ve been done since that first Wilson game. Maybe with Babers it’s exactly the same but I’m skeptical.
I was very happy to see multiple slants. I was so sick of seeing multiple completed passes out of bounds or just clear out of bounds when we went down the sidelines every game.

We would have easily won the BC game id we took this approach instead of playing Wilson. 7-5 gets you in the discussion for a much better bowl
I believe Shrader being available wasn’t an issue until the Friday before the game. No time to do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom