Kudos to the OL | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Kudos to the OL

My mistake Bees. Earlier I was looking for the site for the stat Millhouse referenced. I think it was from Football Outsiders. There they have running and passing oline stats. They have numbers for stuff rate, standard downs line yards per carry, sack rates, standard down sack rates, etc. They have definitions for all the table columns. They have every college team.

I looked at that site this morning. I’m sure their numbers are correct but I can’t figure out how they calculate it. He was sacked 28 times which isn’t great but it’s not horrible. Plenty of QBs had more. I figured sack rate would be sacks and drop backs. But that’s only 7% so I’m not sure what they’re using to get 10%.

I looked at that site this morning. I’m sure their numbers are correct but I can’t figure out how they calculate it. He was sacked 28 times which isn’t great but it’s not horrible. Plenty of QBs had more. I figured sack rate would be sacks and drop backs. But that’s only 7% so I’m not sure what they’re using to get 10%.
Didnt our sack rate drop last season in spite of more pass attempts? I’ll have to check that.

Didnt our sack rate drop last season in spite of more pass attempts? I’ll have to check that.

Not sure. I’m still trying to figure out what numbers are used for sack rate.

Wrs are open if the throws are on target more often as well.. We had 2 big gain plays where the throws were off by 5-10 yds.. I mean the Allen throw was a walk in TD and not even close and deep play the WR was wide open and the throw should have been led down the middle and it went over his head. Then we have the drops on key plays and half a dozen poor throws. The WRs were pretty open most of the game.
No doubt GS blew a couple of throws - the one to Allen down the seam could have changed the game, and of course the INT to the safety lurking in cover 3. But I saw a lot of things to be encouraged about. For one, he looked about 90% healthy on scrambles and designed runs. There are still some pocket presence issues and struggles with progressions. But despite some strange takes in this thread, his release on throws to the flat were noticeably quicker (a big reason LA had a field day). And I also saw some darts over the middle to receivers in pretty tight coverage. Those things all bode well for next year, especially with what projects to be our stoutest and deepest OL in recent memory.

As to the WR's, OG was solid. Alford was a mixed bag with 3 catches and a couple drops. But Cooper might have had his best day as an SU WR - 7 catches for 114 yards highlighted by some impressive YAC plays. Kudos to him - great way to go out. Speaking of which, even with Jones, OG, Alford and Hatcher back and Cahoon coming in, I would love to see the staff bring in a play-maker at WR and TE. Alford doesn't catch well enough in traffic to be a possession guy. We're losing Cooper. Cahoon is going to need some adjustment time, and Clement is coming off injury. So hopefully Dino can give GS some more options and pull a rabbit out of his hat with a TE/WR like he did with the secondary, the OL and the DL

Last edited:
No doubt GS blew a couple of throws - the one to Allen down the seam could have changed the game, and of course the INT to the safety lurking in cover 3. But I saw a lot of things to be encouraged about. For one, he looked about 90% healthy on scrambles and designed runs. There are still some pocket presence issues and struggles with progressions. But despite some strange takes in this thread, his release on throws to the flat were noticeably quicker (a big reason LA had a field day). And I also saw some darts over the middle to receivers in pretty tight coverage. Those things all bode well for next year, especially with what projects to be our stoutest and deepest OL in recent memory.

As to the WR's, OG was solid. Alford was a mixed bag with 3 catches and a couple drops. But Cooper might have had his best day as an SU WR - 7 catches for 114 yards highlighted by some impressive YAC plays. Kudos to him - great way to go out. Speaking of which, even with Jones, OG, Alford and Hatcher back and Cahoon coming in, I would love to see the staff bring in some play-makers at WR and TE. We aren't going to be successful if all/most of the defensive pressure is on OG. Cahoon might not be ready, and Clement is coming off injury. So I really hope the staff can mine some talent to give GS more options.
Good points. Im not expecting much from the young guys coming in. As far as that pick 6. I still dont know what Shrader saw. The safety depth showed he was in buzz cover 3 to the boundary. No way you throw that ball.

As to the WR's, OG was solid. Alford was a mixed bag with 3 catches and a couple drops. But Cooper might have had his best day as an SU WR - 7 catches for 114 yards highlighted by some impressive YAC plays. Kudos to him - great way to go out. Speaking of which, even with Jones, OG, Alford and Hatcher back and Cahoon coming in, I would love to see the staff bring in a play-maker at WR and TE. Alford doesn't catch well enough in traffic to be a possession guy. We're losing Cooper. Cahoon is going to need some adjustment time, and Clement is coming off injury. So hopefully the staff can pull a rabbit out of a hat with a TE/WR like they did with the secondary, the OL and the DL.
Donovan Brown- Watch the jump…..you’re not going to believe your eyes.

Good points. Im not expecting much from the young guys coming in. As far as that pick 6. I still dont know what Shrader saw. The safety depth showed he was in buzz cover 3 to the boundary. No way you throw that ball.
OG knew it too .. he put out his hands like, "why did you throw that?" But hey, mistakes happen. GS did a lot of good things and we were in the game. I follow the Bills and I've seen Josh Allen throw right to a defender 5 yards away on a screen (like GS against ND) and an INT on an out (just like Mini). PPl need to chill.

Last edited:
OG knew it too .. he put out his hands like, "why did you throw that?" But hey, mistakes happen. GS did a lot of good things and we were in the game. I follow the Bills and I've seen Josh Allen throw right to a defender 5 yards away on a screen (like GS against ND) and an INT on an out (just like Mini). PPl need to chill.
Yup. all good points

This is a shot of OG and the DB and what GS saw. The DB caught it about chest high but it was going to OGs sideline side, waist high it looks like. 2nd pic ball is out of GS hand.

6F08B615-3121-401B-A34F-21EC8E0CDDBF.jpeg
3A218234-00A4-43F1-A1D6-BA8B9C447D4D.jpeg

A8A07FF3-75C5-4698-989A-6B4BE266E149.jpeg

Shrader is a bit of an enigma at times. His ability to make clutch plays at critical moments was one key to SU getting to a bowl game. Kudos to him, leader and amazing clutch player! However, he's still dinged up I think. Some throws were puzzling. A couple of times the OL got good push, he took a step forward before throwing. Perhaps a technique suggested by Beck, but I wondered if he was in discomfort.

He's one of my MVP's and prefer to focus on the cool stuff he did this year. Thanks, Garrett! I will say I think the MMP (most missed player), is Chris Elmore. Our running game was never the same after he got hurt. Thanks, Rhino!

Historically the biggest issue we have had with the OLine has been depth. We get a little banged up and we are in trouble. Even in 2011 we lost the last 5 games due to injuries on the offensive line. (Whatever else can be said about Marrone he was a great line coach.)

For me the key is a better way to give younger players game experience.

I know it is difficult but somehow we have to build depth and that can't be done without game experience.

This is a shot of OG and the DB and what GS saw. The DB caught it about chest high but it was going to OGs sideline side, waist high it looks like. 2nd pic ball is out of GS hand.

View attachment 223810View attachment 223811
View attachment 223812
They ran that same play the series before but the defense was in a different look. Shrader should have saw pre snap that the safety was the flat defender. He threw it to the near hip which allowed the defender to catch it in stride. Its just a bad read. It happens.

They ran that same play the series before but the defense was in a different look. Shrader should have saw pre snap that the safety was the flat defender. He threw it to the near hip which allowed the defender to catch it in stride. Its just a bad read. It happens.
Probably didn’t help that I don’t think OG ran the best route either.

Probably didn’t help that I don’t think OG ran the best route either.
Agree but that was a bad play to begin with. A speed out to the boundary in that situation made no sense.

The oline played more than well enough to win the game.. We dont need a dominate oline just a functional one. And we dont have an alpha WR or a QB that is accurate or has a quick release either to help.. Shrader saves plays but he isnt super elusive either.

Look at what happened to Clemson last night when the oline was not good enough in the redzone. They turned 8-9 drives into missed FGs and turnover on downs and what should have been 14 pt win into a loss.. Thats the SU way. Then add in a non elite QB and they struggled to score.

They ran 100 plays and scored 14 points. Their OLine was really bad, just couldn’t block anyone and got killed on the same MLB stunt (delayed blitz up the middle) that we can never block.

That Kublick kid - true frosh qb - was unbelievable. Made some mistakes but wow. What struck me was how poised he was under relentless pressure and how many times he hit check downs and his second and third options. Kid is good.

Agree but that was a bad play to begin with. A speed out to the boundary in that situation made no sense.
Agreed … totally with you … bad play all the way around.

not sure that shrader makes the corrects all the time. The good thing is the offense actually got guys open more often to disguise the mistakes

not sure that shrader makes the corrects all the time. The good thing is the offense actually got guys open more often to disguise the mistakes
No QB makes the corrects all the time.

Donovan Brown- Watch the jump…..you’re not going to believe your eyes.
Hope so because he may be the of post game interviews if he gets the opportunity

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom