LA and DV in backfield | Syracusefan.com

LA and DV in backfield

mark79

Doughnut connoisseur
Against a heavy blitz team like Pitt it might be interesting to see LA and DV in the backfield together. They could protect if needed for a slant, draw if needed to keep them honest or flare out if needed to slow them down.

Seems like we’d have two Swiss Army knives out there for maximum flexibility.

Against a heavy blitz team like Pitt it might be interesting to see LA and DV in the backfield together. They could protect if needed for a slant, draw if needed to keep them honest or flare out if needed to slow them down.

My biggest thing with that is state blitzed a ton and Mccord got the ball out quickly. We may not need that.

Hey, the good thing is it is getting cold outside and the cuse has time to prepare and play in it this bye week...

My biggest thing with that is state blitzed a ton and Mccord got the ball out quickly. We may not need that.
I'd be surprised if they didn't load the box and run every disguised blitz in their DC's playbook. They know McCord will pick them apart if he has more than a second. We saw a lot of blitzing by NCSt and McCord got the ball out ricky tic to Pena', Gadsden and Meeks. Same deal against Pitt ... short passes, draws and screens to suck up TOP and keep Des Reid on the bench texting his gf.

Last edited:
Would like to never see Villari in the backfield again. Give your best players the ball. Enough of the gimmicky nonsense.
There can be a happy medium. The call on third and one when he took the ball after going in motion and went under center was excellent. But they got too carried away with it later.

Would like to never see Villari in the backfield again. Give your best players the ball. Enough of the gimmicky nonsense.
Agree. It’s nice that he can barrel ahead for two or 3 yards sometimes but I’d really rather see actual plays.

I'd be surprised if they didn't load the box and run every disguised blitz in their DC's playbook. They know McCord will pick them apart if he has more than a second. We saw a lot of blitzing by NCSt and McCord got the ball out ricky tic to Pena', Gadsden and Meeks. Same deal against Pitt ... short passes, draws and screens to suck up TOP and keep Des Reid on the bench texting his gfs.
I agree. The best way to beat Syracuse is to disrupt our passing attack. We have so many weapons the only way to do that is to disrupt KM. We need to anticipate that and get ahead of it in order to keep KM protected.

I’m not suggesting this for any other reason than to have it in our tool bag. There is no way I would suggest this for purely offensive reasons. It’s to protect KM if needed, and give them something extra to think about if needed.

They have a pretty effective four man rush. Will be an interesting match-,up.

Also not sure DV is that great a blocker on the line, but may be worth a shot in max protect in backfield. That said we need LQA as an outlet.

I don’t think it’s a gimmick to put him in essentially a blocking FB spot.
Villari could play the classic H back. He can run the ball, he's pretty difficult to tackle, so he can get tough short yards. He can block, and he can catch.

We haven't been creative using his talents this season. I kind of liked him becoming the de facto third running back once Nixon went down.

What we could do if they didn’t blitz is have them chip and release.

None of it works if DW,JB,JR,MP AND SW don’t all put a hat on somebody. MM is also a key to help KM and the WR room in the pg.

4th and 1 I’m good; otherwise, agree with you.

I didn't mind the DV packages against NCSt. Just another package that Pitt has to prep for and hopefully catch a DB or linebacker crashing and allowing a pop pass or some quick throw in the future.

If Pitt is blitzing effectively against our normal protection, I think having a couple of added protection blockers in the backfield who could also release and provide a dump off option is worth having in our bag of tricks.

McCord gets it out, blitzes aren't that worrisome

If Pitt is blitzing effectively against our normal protection, I think having a couple of added protection blockers in the backfield who could also release and provide a dump off option is worth having in our bag of tricks.
He's a poor blocker, and he doesn't catch well. LQA and Willis are both more suitable for the role.

There can be a happy medium. The call on third and one when he took the ball after going in motion and went under center was excellent. But they got too carried away with it later.
That was a good play call and a nice wrinkle.

Having him go in as a wildcat QB is not a good wrinkle. It's idiotic when you're in the red zone and you have a finite amount of chances.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom