La. Tech Observations... | Syracusefan.com

La. Tech Observations...

Hoov50

Starter
On Sunday my father and I had the chance to watch the SU-La. Tech game from CTO’s courtside seats. My father and I had an awesome time and can’t thank her enough!

I am by no means a basketball expert, although I do believe I understand the game better than numerous announcers, but who doesn’t?! However, I did want to share some of my observations from sitting so close that you don’t get when watching at home or my normal third level seats.

To a man our players seem to be completely unsure what they should be doing with the ball. Kaleb Joseph, is a capable ball handler, but to look into his eyes when he is coming up court is to see uncertainty. It seems like he has no idea who is going to be where and isn’t sure what to do with the ball. This is not unique to Joseph, each player seems to second guess themselves multiple times before finally throwing a pass. The one exception was Cooney for a ten minute stretch from about 13 minutes to the 3 minute mark in the second half. During that stretch Cooney decided he was going to take matters into his own hands and take the ball to the hoop. With only a few exceptions Cooney taking the ball to the hoop ended with something positive for SU. I was kind of surprised that Joseph became the ball handler on the last possession when Cooney had been doing a pretty good job.

Another thing I noticed is that Christmas and to a lesser extent Cooney are the only ones who communicate at all while on the court. Christmas was constantly communicating while on defense helping out the wing defenders, when McCullough played the middle he didn’t say a word, even when Christmas was yelling “Chris, talk!” from the bench. Cooney also communicates but more one to one in between plays than yelling during play. The only time I head Joseph say a word was when Tyler Roberson was late shifting on defense and Kaleb yelled, “Roberson get up here!”

Overall, the inexperience of the team especially at point guard is even more painfully obvious from up close. It sounds harsh, but there were times when we would be handling the ball and trying to figure out what to do with it when I was reminded of watching high school girls play. When they get the ball and really have no idea what they are going to do with it next. Even during set plays and pick and rolls we look unsure of what we should be doing. On numerous occasions McCullough or Christmas would pick and roll to the basket and were wide open but Joseph wouldn’t even try to get them the ball.

One of the things that surprised my father and I at first was that most of the coaching during the game by the staff was focused on fundamentals. However, when we thought about it we realized that most of the in game coaching we do (my father has been a head football coach since 1976 with 306 wins and a winning percentage just under 80, I have been coaching as an assistant or head coach for past 15 years) during the games is also reminding our players of the fundamentals. Interesting that college and high school isn’t much different in that respect.

A few interesting Boeheim exchanges:
“BJ are you going to get in front of him or at least do something?”
“Catch the ball first!” (numerous times)
“Mike, there is no way…he caught the ball, turned and shot, no way it didn’t take longer.”
“Trevor, what were you supposed to do?” (after passing the ball out of bounds when trying to pass it ahead to Roberson)

It was an awesome experience, and totally different than front row seats at a football game, you are so much closer to the action and really get to see and hear tons of things you don’t on television or other seats.

Again, I can’t thank CTO enough for letting my father and I share this incredible experience!

Wow. And interesting to hear that Xmas was exuding CMac to talk. I hope that's more because he's out of position and not entirely sure what he's supposed to call out versus just going through the motions...

Wow. And interesting to hear that Xmas was exuding CMac to talk. I hope that's more because he's out of position and not entirely sure what he's supposed to call out versus just going through the motions...

It seemed to me it was because McCullough wasn't used to the communication that is necessary when playing the middle of the zone.

Last edited:
that last shot clock dynamic was classic JB.. you can argue how long it took, and you can argue that the clock started late, but how they screwed up when to stop the clock is just plain wrong. they replayed it and still got it wrong by almost half a second.. if you add in JBs argument the clock started slow its really off. i thought they had replay to fix those mistakes.

The last 3 years, we had Baye to direct everyone on defense, so they were in correct position. It shows that you can't just put people out there, and play good defense in the zone.

The last 3 years, we had Baye to direct everyone on defense, so they were in correct position. It shows that you can't just put people out there, and play good defense in the zone.
You're right and this year when Christmas is out there he does a good job of telling people what is going on. Unfortunately, right now when Rak is out of the game no one communicates on defense. I am sure they will improve throughout the year but short term Rak needs to stay out of foul trouble.

i get using replay to see if a shot was released in time or when exactly it went out of bounds. i still don't understand how a replay of a ball going thru a hoop determines when a timeout was called and actually granted. the clock does not automatically stop on a made basket. it only stops once the timeout is called and then acknowledged no?

Last edited:
The center on SU's team is the captain of the defense, like a catcher in baseball. The coaches know the center sees everything on the court in front of him and have him call out screens, cuts, picks etc.

Sounds like you had a great time with your dad. Thanks for sharing.

Ouch! That was painful painful to read. But I know you were reporting "the truth."

i get using replay to see if a shot was released in time or when exactly it went out of bounds. i still don't understand how a replay of a ball going thru a hoop determines when a timeout was called and actually granted. the clock does not automatically stop on a made basket. it stops when the timeout is acknowledged no?

It used to be like that, but I thought they changed it with under a certain amount of time left?

On Sunday my father and I had the chance to watch the SU-La. Tech game from CTO’s courtside seats. My father and I had an awesome time and can’t thank her enough!

CTO is Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!

You're right and this year when Christmas is out there he does a good job of telling people what is going on. Unfortunately, right now when Rak is out of the game no one communicates on defense. I am sure they will improve throughout the year but short term Rak needs to stay out of foul trouble.
Every game Rak picks up 2 totally foolish, unnecessary fouls. You would think by this point as a senior he would know not to.

Ouch! That was painful painful to read. But I know you were reporting "the truth."
I am not all doom and gloom. I think we have a ton of potential just a matter of how quickly we can turn the potential into action.

" The coaches know the center sees everything on the court in front of him and have him call out screens, cuts, picks etc."

sure be nice if they occasionally saw the all day open baseline 'alley oop' passes to kyser (et al.)...

(we beat IOWA and still end up on their espn highlight feed)

" The coaches know the center sees everything on the court in front of him and have him call out screens, cuts, picks etc."

sure be nice if they occasionally saw the all day open baseline 'alley oop' passes to kyser (et al.)...

(we beat IOWA and still end up on their espn highlight feed)
That's where other people communicating back to the center from the wings can help out. Or better yet the wings can cut off the alley oop cutters when the center ends up having to stop a player driving to the foul line when they get by our two guards too easily. The zone defense requires all players to do their jobs. When one player doesn't it causes a chain reaction of bad things to happen... In some cases ending in a wide open alley oop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom