Landon Donovan not going to Brazil | Syracusefan.com

Landon Donovan not going to Brazil

Bortukal

All Conference
yr0ed8rs9cbga1ua5vgq.png

I like Wondo, but no way would I ever take him over Donovan.

Still, Jurgen has done a lot of great things with this team and he's proved me wrong before. Guess we'll just have to trust that he knows what he's doing.

I want to pitch a fit over it, but really look at the roster and Wondo is really the only one that's a question(Maybe Yedlin as well)...and I get what they are doing are with Wondo being a poacher type of sub, but yeah I get it...it's just shitttty for Lando, but hey, everyone gets old.

Donovan is proven on the biggest stage. Aging sure? But the WC is next month, he's got 90 days left in the tank.

I will be cheering for you good neighbour!

Your toast in that group though my friends! Sorry : (

The truth is that Donovan has been saying how his body breaks down, he can't train hard everyday, he lost a bit of his passion etc. Statements that a diminished player makes. Bottom line, LD is the best American player ever but that's how sports goes. Klinsmann probably saw those things and decided to go in another direction.

The US is going to have to bunker and steal a 1-0 win somewhere to get out of the group.

I'll be curious to see what he does on the left side. Beasley and Fabian Johnson but what combo? I think Beasley with his speed should be higher up at LM. Fab can make overlapping runs. Could be a potentially good combo. Ale Bedoya is another guy I'm excited for. Career year with Nantes in France. Put in good shifts against the best French sides like PSG, Marseille, Lyon etc.

I don't think the US gets out of the group, I hope they do but the odds are slim.

In that ESPN special about the USMNT, besides talking about how his age and injuries are affecting his ability to play every day, I think he also said that he's not in shape yet, also. Not being in shape alone isn't a big deal for a guy who has this much talent and experience but, when you add the more frequent injuries, it just seemed really questionable that he was automatically on the squad.

He's one of the best American players ever and I like him.
He just sounded like a guy who had lost some intensity.

It really sucks not to see him on the roster, but I trust Klinsmann at this point. He's been very good at assembling rosters. Personally, I think he likes the young talent we have and wants to build for the future. I love Donovan's on-field grit, and we will certainly miss that. Hopefully it all works out.

I'm hoping Wondo scores 4 against Azerbaijan, as is his custom against Mickey Mouse teams, and then tears his ACL celebrating in Grammatica-like fashion. Donovan replaces him and returns to glory.

Klinsman has proven to me that he is an egotistical moron with this move I wish they would fire his stupid ass today in time to save any hope for this world cup.

In that ESPN special about the USMNT, besides talking about how his age and injuries are affecting his ability to play every day, I think he also said that he's not in shape yet, also. Not being in shape alone isn't a big deal for a guy who has this much talent and experience but, when you add the more frequent injuries, it just seemed really questionable that he was automatically on the squad.

He's one of the best American players ever and I like him.
He just sounded like a guy who had lost some intensity.
What are you talking about. Donovan has been one of the most durable athletes I've ever seen and has a reputation as the most fit. I believe he and Frankie whisky still old the record for the famous beep test. This is a horrible decision

The truth is that Donovan has been saying how his body breaks down, he can't train hard everyday, he lost a bit of his passion etc. Statements that a diminished player makes. Bottom line, LD is the best American player ever but that's how sports goes. Klinsmann probably saw those things and decided to go in another direction.

The US is going to have to bunker and steal a 1-0 win somewhere to get out of the group.

I'll be curious to see what he does on the left side. Beasley and Fabian Johnson but what combo? I think Beasley with his speed should be higher up at LM. Fab can make overlapping runs. Could be a potentially good combo. Ale Bedoya is another guy I'm excited for. Career year with Nantes in France. Put in good shifts against the best French sides like PSG, Marseille, Lyon etc.

I don't think the US gets out of the group, I hope they do but the odds are slim.

We have never been good enough in the back to bunker and survive. ARENA and his 4 5 1 blew up in his face in Germany. I've followed Us soccer since Paul Caligari shot got us back into the world up in 1990. This decision sickens me

I get the impression that the decision is based mostly on personality issues. Not basing this on anything but a gut feeling over LD's relationship with JG as portrayed by the media, so could easily be wrong.

What are you talking about. Donovan has been one of the most durable athletes I've ever seen and has a reputation as the most fit. I believe he and Frankie whisky still old the record for the famous beep test. This is a horrible decision

I'm quoting Landon. In that ESPN special, he said he has had to deal with injuries more and it's taking longer for him to recover and his body isn't as durable as it used to be.
Watch that show.

I'm quoting Landon. In that ESPN special, he said he has had to deal with injuries more and it's taking longer for him to recover and his body isn't as durable as it used to be.
Watch that show.

I saw it. I feel like those statements were taken out of context. Yeah, Landon is getting older, was probably just generalizing about that. At the end of the day we are talking about a tournament next month, not signing him to a 3 year club contract.

Watch that show.
I saw it ...That's because he is 32 not 22. A natural progress. Let me ask you ...Did Klinsman pick the best 23 players ...Going around the internet the consensus seems to be that Klinsman is giving up on 2014 to get younger guys experience pointed towards 2018 Julian Green give me a fing break. What he is doing is wrong. I hope it blows up in his face Ill watch all the WC games except the ones with US in them ecause Klinsman has made the team a joke !!!

I think this was a poor decision on Jurgen's part and that it was made based heavily on personality issues, as evidenced by Jurgen's son's tweet:
KlinsmannSonTweet.jpg

There is no way you can make a case that Wondo deserves a spot on that team over Donovan. No way. Julian Green I can understand. But Wondo? No. And I like Wondo a lot.

The age/durability angle can be dismissed by the inclusion of Beasley (who should be on the squad, don't get me wrong).

Is this now Michael Bradley's team? Dempsey's?

A good read from Deadspin: Donovan was our savior all along

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom