Laray Smith, should we be recruiting him harder | Syracusefan.com

Laray Smith, should we be recruiting him harder

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
Coach P really, really likes him and has recruited him very hard and has had multipule contacts. Flood has been on his trail for awhile. It doesn't sound like he is a top priority for us, no visit set up, no contact from his home boy Mario Tull.

He looks faster than Augustus Edwards to my eye.

Is there a grades issue?

I would think he is the equivalent of Brandon Reddish / Wayne Morgan in regards to being 'top priority' for NYC this class.

Coach P really, really likes him and has recruited him very hard and has had multipule contacts. Flood has been on his trail for awhile. It doesn't sound like he is a top priority for us, no visit set up, no contact from his home boy Mario Tull.

Is there a grades issue?

Shocking that Syracuse is slow out of the gate on recruiting a kid.

Not only is he obviously faster than Edwards, Laray appears faster on film than any back on our team sans Gulley. He's also got cutback ability, vision and juke/wiggle that nobody possess but Gulley.

Morris is a decent looking back but we need another one in this year's class. Edwards is obviously a bigger back - reminds me of a big 10 back - but also might being recruited as a LB. IMHO, Syracuse needs a back like Laray. I hope we're not moving exclusively to these big pro style power I backs. I would hate that. I've always been a much bigger fan of the smaller jitterbug types.

Yep, he DOES look quicker than Edwards, although he's listed as 30-lbs. lighter. My only negative is that he 'dances' a little too much for my taste.

I'm surprised we haven't gone after him harder. He'd be near the top of my NYS list.

I laughed out loud in class from this... No offense, OE.
Just what tickled your funny bone? I used to try and get people in trouble by making them laugh out loud in school. Looks like I still have the magic.:confused:

Coach P really, really likes him and has recruited him very hard and has had multiple contacts. Flood has been on his trail for awhile. It doesn't sound like he is a top priority for us, no visit set up, no contact from his home boy Mario Tull.
Don't ask whether I have treated you poorly; ask whether you have ever seen me treat anyone better! :D

Are we recruiting anyone harder? How do we know?

In all seriousness, if he thinks UConn or Rutgers is a better place at this point, have at it.

I'm pretty sure you're being sarcastic, but perhaps it has to do with the recruit scoring matrix that both Marrone and Adkins touted during their NSD interviews. Until a player passes a certain score, they are not offered. Which doesn't sound like much of an issue unless some of the scoring criteria simply take longer to ascertain, causing SU to delay most offers.

Shocking that Syracuse is slow out of the gate on recruiting a kid.

I'm pretty sure you're being sarcastic, but perhaps it has to do with the recruit scoring matrix that both Marrone and Adkins touted during their NSD interviews. Until a player passes a certain score, they are not offered. Which doesn't sound like much of an issue unless some of the scoring criteria simply take longer to ascertain, causing SU to delay most offers.
According to our recruiting database on this site, we have offered him.

He's been offered. Rutgers hasn't offered.

What! Are you saying people have jumped to conclusions without knowing the facts. Not possible.

What! Are you saying people have jumped to conclusions without knowing the facts. Not possible.
I knew he was offered by us and I knew he wasn't offered by RU. It's that we haven't followed up by setting up a visit and a kid from his school who plays for SU hasn't talked to him about SU. RU is taking a wait and see possibly on grades. But they are staying in touch. We may also have backed off pending grade improvement. Cpach Ps staying in touch too.

Is there a grades issue?
I totally agree that Laray Smith "looks like a better prospect than Edwards. Recruit harder indeed. Mr Wheatly and Doug. Step it up now.!couchburn

Whe exactly is JR day? March 3? Do we know if he will be coming? Should be a wild game.

He doesn't look that much faster than Edwards, and his arms looked like twigs in that interview...I don't think he's as important of recruit as some people are making him seem.

I knew he was offered by us and I knew he wasn't offered by RU. It's that we haven't followed up by setting up a visit and a kid from his school who plays for SU hasn't talked to him about SU. RU is taking a wait and see possibly on grades. But they are staying in touch. We may also have backed off pending grade improvement. Cpach Ps staying in touch too.

Dan - that wasn't directed at you at all. It was more of a joke than anything else.

If that kid is Tull, based on his PT (or lack thereof), not sure if he'd be the best ambassador. I remember reading recruit articles where we kind of disappear for a while.

He doesn't look that much faster than Edwards, and his arms looked like twigs in that interview...I don't think he's as important of recruit as some people are making him seem.

Did you see the same videos I saw. This guy is very fast.

Jeff Demps and Chris Rainey are very fast. This kid has above average speed for a running back, he's only running away from NY competition that will only play on the DIII level. He turns around and runs backwards on a lot of his plays, that will get you killed in DI. This kid is not even close to as good as everyone is making him out to be.
http://www.youtube.com/embed/EjzdHNnwUBU
This kid is very fast

Jeff Demps and Chris Rainey are very fast. This kid has above average speed for a running back, he's only running away from NY competition that will only play on the DIII level. He turns around and runs backwards on a lot of his plays, that will get you killed in DI. This kid is not even close to as good as everyone is making him out to be.
http://www.youtube.com/embed/EjzdHNnwUBU
This kid is very fast
Are we recruiting him, no he has signed with Texas. We aren't getting players like that. We have to look under rocks and get the best available talent. So looking at that tape only serves to show what elite speed looks like.