Last 5 possessions in regulation.. | Syracusefan.com

Last 5 possessions in regulation..

Forza Azzurri

All American
61-55. 3:20 left...10 secs left on shot clock...MCW penetrates, trips turns ball over

61-57. 2:45 left...10 secs left on shot clock...pick and roll with MCW and Coleman; MCW penetrates, looks Triche, passese to Fair who takes contested 17 footer. Rebound out of bounds off 'nova.

61-57. 2:08 left...10 secs left on shot clock...MCW penetrates, off Coleman's hands...turnover

61-58 1:06 left...MCW pressured.. Penetrates and tough pass to Xmas...ball out of bounds..'Cuse ball..MCW penetrates..misses shot in lane..

61-58. 19.9 secs left..MCW Fouled..misses 1 and 1..

0-2 from floor; 0-1' from line; 2 turnovers

So, what do each of you do differently, if anything?

Umm, let Triche touch the ball. He had just hit a few big shots, why not let him isolate.

Umm, let Triche touch the ball. He had just hit a few big shots, why not let him isolate.

Not specific enough. How? Have Triche initiate offense instead of MCW? Have MCW initiate but start earlier than 25 secs into shot clock? They were denying Triche the ball on each possession.

Take your time and make a FT.

dribble the ball for 35 seconds..shot clock runs out...give it to nova..but they wont have a fast break opportunity at least.like they did the way we played it.

Isolation means you can catch the ball and can stand stationary while defended for one second. 92% of Triches baskets off the drive come from motion receiving a pass with a step on his defender with his massive frame rolling towards the basket. Its just who he is.

I would teach burr the meaning of blocking the ball, litterally with your elbow against the backboard not being called a goaltend. Thats all the offense we would need :p.

goodnite all.

Forget stall ball, more motion on offense, put DC2 in when Nova shoots FTs, MCW not pound the ball into the floor for 25 seconds before trying a 1-3 move, and make FTs. How anyone shoots less than 75% FTs is beyond me.

Forget stall ball, more motion on offense, put DC2 in when Nova shoots FTs, MCW not pound the ball into the floor for 25 seconds before trying a 1-3 move, and make FTs. How anyone shoots less than 75% FTs is beyond me.

That figure is too arbitrary on its own. Remember, no human shoots 100% (forever, anyway), so we need to acknowledge that there may be some universal reasons why people miss free throws.

That said, MCW might deserve criticism for that front-ender at the end of regulation that would have won it. Not because he missed, but due to the rushed, non-habit form nature of his shots.

Also, MCW kept going sharply right around that big Nova guy, and it seemed to throw off any chance of a decent SU offensive set. But maybe this thread needs to credit Villanova/Wright for that more. They needed to shut down MCW, and to some extent Triche, and they did.

Threads like this seem to imply one team has 100% control of the game, or 100% of blame for losses. People keep saying Villanova sucks. Do they now?

Nothing MCW has to make better decisions. If he would have shot the ball to tried to pass to DC2 it would have been a bunny offensive board and put back. Coaches coach players have to make the plays.

61-55. 3:20 left...10 secs left on shot clock...MCW penetrates, trips turns ball over

61-57. 2:45 left...10 secs left on shot clock...pick and roll with MCW and Coleman; MCW penetrates, looks Triche, passese to Fair who takes contested 17 footer. Rebound out of bounds off 'nova.

61-57. 2:08 left...10 secs left on shot clock...MCW penetrates, off Coleman's hands...turnover

61-58 1:06 left...MCW pressured.. Penetrates and tough pass to Xmas...ball out of bounds..'Cuse ball..MCW penetrates..misses shot in lane..

61-58. 19.9 secs left..MCW Fouled..misses 1 and 1..

0-2 from floor; 0-1' from line; 2 turnovers

So, what do each of you do differently, if anything?
I tell MCW that it is very difficult for a big man to handle a low pass when it is unexpected and he is readying himself for a rebound because he thinks MCW is going to shoot it. Peyton Siva showed you that last week, which is why Lville lost. Don't pass to someone not ready for it. If you find yourself in that situation, shoot it instead. (and make it)

That figure is too arbitrary on its own. Remember, no human shoots 100% (forever, anyway), so we need to acknowledge that there may be some universal reasons why people miss free throws.

That said, MCW might deserve criticism for that front-ender at the end of regulation that would have won it. Not because he missed, but due to the rushed, non-habit form nature of his shots.

Still arbitrary, but the average for Syracuse point guards since 1985 is .7365. A little better than Mike's .707 this season, but not much.

(I'm not wild about these comparisons - fair to say that all players should focus and probably hit free throws more frequently than they currently do.)

I think in late game situations MCW should be inbounding the ball. That way our best passer is throwing the ball into play with our two best FT shooters , CJ and Brandon, waiting to get fouled. CJ shouldn't be the inbounder, it's dumb. CJ can always call timeout if he gets trapped instead of fouled. But at the very least a play should be drawn up to ensure that Brandon receives the ball at the 19 sec mark to shoot the one and one, not MCW. Brandon is a senior.

Biggest play of the game. Not only did we miss out on a chance to extend a six point lead by not getting a shot off, we allowed Nova to score on the ensuing fastbreak in under 6 seconds to cut it to four. Just an absolute failure all around.

The off Coleman's hands play was on MCW.

Sent using my Commodore 64 on Tapatalk 5.3

He finally actually had a decent look and instead of doing a little floater he dumps it off to our struggling center who has his back turned ready to box out. Got to know the situation.

I think in late game situations MCW should be inbounding the ball. That way our best passer is throwing the ball into play with our two best FT shooters , CJ and Brandon, waiting to get fouled. CJ shouldn't be the inbounder, it's dumb. CJ can always call timeout if he gets trapped instead of fouled. But at the very least a play should be drawn up to ensure that Brandon receives the ball at the 19 sec mark to shoot the one and one, not MCW. Brandon is a senior.

Nova fouled very quickly. Was hoping they were a second late, because MCW was in the process of passing to Fair. I want CJ on the line in that spot, given how the last few minutes were going.

If we win it all it will be because of MCW. He has to learn how to make these plays. Same position again give him the ball again with the high screne but coach him up in the meantime so he makes better decisions. We have lost two games both of which were mainly because MCW could not deliver. He learned from his mistakes against temple pretty well but still needs to add an 8' pull up and quit with that runner he is not making. He will have to learn from this one as well.

Was really perplexed that JB didn't take a TO on at least one of those last possessions—and draw up a play designed to get BT shooting or going to the basket.

Also, MCW kept going sharply right around that big Nova guy, and it seemed to throw off any chance of a decent SU offensive set. But maybe this thread needs to credit Villanova/Wright for that more. They needed to shut down MCW, and to some extent Triche, and they did.

Threads like this seem to imply one team has 100% control of the game, or 100% of blame for losses. People keep saying Villanova sucks. Do they now?
Maybe our HOF coach could come up with more than 1 friggin set.

A lot of people do. There has never been a season when NCAA basketball players, as a whole, hit 70%.

Click on "Division I" and go to page 44. http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/resources/stats/m+basketball/2013rb.html
(I had to used Task Manager to get out of it.)

Perhaps MCW is a little too heady and antsy to be the man...not one pass to Triche, kept the same screen right 4 times in a row; threw uncathable passes. Problem #1 is MCW average shooter at best; #2 drove six times in second half and did not make 1; be a PG-wait that is his role--and find someone open. How many assists has MCW had in last two games--how many TOs...not good.

Personally, I think JB should have used a TO and designed a play whereby at about the 12-13 second mark of MCW dribbling at the top, Triche comes for the ball, MCW instructed by the coach, gives it to him and then let BT drive to see if he could do better.

And I say a TO was needed because I think MCW needed to be told by coach, let Brandon try and get one of these. Now BT still may have missed, but after the first couple didn't go MCW's way, and it was Brandon that got us the lead, Triche deserved a shot at it putting the dagger in and without JB telling MCW make it happen, coach had to know that MCW would continue to try and do it on his own.

Just my opinion, though.

Cheers,
Neil

1) They ran the same offensive set on each possession. 2) They need to start the offense with about 4 or 5 seconds more on the shot clock, so there is more time to recover from a broken play (which is usually what happens when you run the same play 5 times in a row).

Mike played a really crappy game on Saturday, no denying, but for 18 out of 20 games this season, getting MCW into the paint has been a recipe for a win.

Maybe our HOF coach could come up with more than 1 friggin set.
I agree, give the ball to Triche, except if you watch the game he did and slipped and missed. And a couple more times Triche came hard to the ball and MCW refused to give it up. When you watch the game you may notice these things. Then again you may still insist its JB's fault and not a slippery floor and a player trying todo it by himself.,

Lets hope MCW learns and we don't play on ice rinks again.

Both are reasonable solutions. If that doesn't work you have my permission to fire JB for using what worked the last two games but didn't this time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom