Last time SU won 3 bowls in 4 years, coach Mac had one of the victories. | Syracusefan.com

Last time SU won 3 bowls in 4 years, coach Mac had one of the victories.

Millhouse

Living Legend
I'd rather lose better bowls , don't get me wrong. I think it is interesting but not that meaningful

90 91 92

I'd rather win anything than lose. No such thing as a moral victory.

I'd rather win anything than lose. No such thing as a moral victory.

Agreed, I watched Rutgiz build a program by winning Bowls that arent even around anymore with three win conference seasons. Winning Pinstripe, Texas, Russel, Belk, means sustained progress. Baby steps folks, baby steps.

If we played PSU next week, we win. If we played NorthWestern, we probably win as well. It took some time for this team to gel and find its identity. I am very much looking forward to next year.

orangeinjersey said:
Agreed, I watched Rutgiz build a program by winning Bowls that arent even around anymore with three win conference seasons. Winning Pinstripe, Texas, Russel, Belk, means sustained progress. Baby steps folks, baby steps. If we played PSU next week, we win. If we played NorthWestern, we probably win as well. It took some time for this team to gel and find its identity. I am very much looking forward to next year.
Rutgers hasn't built anything. I'd rather lose the orange bowl than win the Texas bowl. And you're both nuts

Rutgers hasn't built anything. I'd rather lose the orange bowl than win the Texas bowl. And you're both nuts
I get what you are saying but we are 0-3 in the Orange Bowl with a composite score of 22-113. (Alabama, Oklahoma, Florida) I feel good about this years team ending on a winning note despite only having a 6-6 regular season. Much better than in 2004 with that 6-6 team's result playing in the Champ Sports Bowl. ;) Baby steps.

Millhouse said:

Dumb. I'd rather win the Texas bowl of the way to winning the Orange bowl. Sustained growth, built by good recruits and better coaching. Do it the right way.

Mill house is 100% right. Better to lose good bowl games than win minor league ones

I get what you are saying but we are 0-3 in the Orange Bowl with a composite score of 22-113. (Alabama, Oklahoma, Florida) I feel good about this years team ending on a winning note despite only having a 6-6 regular season. Much better than in 2004 with that 6-6 team's result playing in the Champ Sports Bowl. ;) Baby steps.
I believe that you would have much rather watch those teams play than this one. Don't get me wrong I am proud of this team and the job they did but don't forget they got drilled three times during the season. I don't know anything about the team that got drilled by Alabama in the Orange Bowl, but the other two teams were pretty damn good. I only wish that we could return to the greatness of the late 50's and early 60's teams or the teams during the Donovan era.

Mill house is 100% right. Better to lose good bowl games than win minor league ones

We are where we are - considering that not that long ago we were one of the worst programs in college and ESPN did a game day piece on the decline of Syracuse football, AND most casual fans STILL think Syracuse is a lousy football program - being able to tell recruits and having it come up in broadcasts next years that we've won bowls 3 out of the last 4 years is a good thing, with the potential to be a great thing.

I know I've said this before, but I had coworkers that went to Penn State; they thought Syracuse was around 4-8 last year when we were talking about the MetLife game in August. These were the same guys that I talked about going to NYC to go to the Pinstripe Bowl eight months earlier, and congratulated me on the win vs WVU.

People are generally lazy and ignorant - the paradigm that exists in most college football fans heads is that Syracuse football is awful. We need lots and lots of aggregated data AND a big head turning win to get the average fan to pull his head out of his fanny and realize its not 2005. That's the value of 3 wins in 4 years, it's something for the announcers to mention when we're pulling off a win that allows us to start to change the paradigm.

So how many teams have won three bowls in the last four years?

I mean, that has to be a short list right?

Syracuse is on it.

It is almost (ALMOST) like 2005 never happened.

I believe that you would have much rather watch those teams play than this one. Don't get me wrong I am proud of this team and the job they did but don't forget they got drilled three times during the season. I don't know anything about the team that got drilled by Alabama in the Orange Bowl, but the other two teams were pretty damn good. I only wish that we could return to the greatness of the late 50's and early 60's teams or the teams during the Donovan era.
I agree about the return to greatness. I was just saying from the perspective of the end of Paul through the GRob years I'll take a Texas Bowl win. Why I said baby steps. Sorry if I misled. :)

A BCS bowl game win or lose is a great achievement. SU winning the Texas Bowl this year is a great achievement. Beating this Minny squad is a little different than beating Bowling Green, Cincy, or even Miami (this year).

dollarbill44 said:
Duh. But we only got invited to the Texas Bowl. It's better to win the Texas Bowl than lose it.
Why does every thread have to be so dumb. I was making sure no one thought I was criticizing p for losing orange and fiesta bowls with mcnabb.

You knuckleheads are probably hoping we make the NIT.

Concur. A BCS lose is better than a low level bowl win. Means we had a great season and people know it.

I'd rather lose better bowls , don't get me wrong. I think it is interesting but not that meaningful

90 91 92
Just a Reminder Mnnesota beat Northwestern,Nebraska,Indiana, and Penn State

We are where we are - considering that not that long ago we were one of the worst programs in college and ESPN did a game day piece on the decline of Syracuse football, AND most casual fans STILL think Syracuse is a lousy football program - being able to tell recruits and having it come up in broadcasts next years that we've won bowls 3 out of the last 4 years is a good thing, with the potential to be a great thing.

I know I've said this before, but I had coworkers that went to Penn State; they thought Syracuse was around 4-8 last year when we were talking about the MetLife game in August. These were the same guys that I talked about going to NYC to go to the Pinstripe Bowl eight months earlier, and congratulated me on the win vs WVU.

People are generally lazy and ignorant - the paradigm that exists in most college football fans heads is that Syracuse football is awful. We need lots and lots of aggregated data AND a big head turning win to get the average fan to pull his head out of his fanny and realize its not 2005. That's the value of 3 wins in 4 years, it's something for the announcers to mention when we're pulling off a win that allows us to start to change the paradigm.

Spot on!

What Cuse needs is a friendly schedule next year to allow us to rip off 6 or 7 wins out the gate to turn some heads. We need a 9-3 or 10-2 regular season and some pimping from ESPN to help perception. Look at Baylor.

Spot on!

What Cuse needs is a friendly schedule next year to allow us to rip off 6 or 7 wins out the gate to turn some heads. We need a 9-3 or 10-2 regular season and some pimping from ESPN to help perception. Look at Baylor.
baylor won their conference. it wasn't their friendly schedule.

What we want is for these minor bowl wins to be part of SU building back to playing more regularly in major bowls. There's zero guarantee of that though, and we could very well just be settling into a stretch where we're regularly playing in minor bowls (because everyone gets a trophy in today's FBS).

SU needs a true breakout year to fully shake our current perception of being mediocre (at best). And not a 2001 year where we win 10 but fail in all of our most visible games. We need a 9/10 win season where we beat someone really good in front of a national audience.

right now its not about how big the bowl is- its about changing national perception and getting the kids the extra practice time-

didnt hurt that it was the best bowl game so far and didnt have any competition on tv-

we are still known as a groober inept team nationally and those 3 blowouts didnt help- and it will take a few more solid seasons to change the views about su

What we want is for these minor bowl wins to be part of SU building back to playing more regularly in major bowls. There's zero guarantee of that though, and we could very well just be settling into a stretch where we're regularly playing in minor bowls (because everyone gets a trophy in today's FBS).

SU needs a true breakout year to fully shake our current perception of being mediocre (at best). And not a 2001 year where we win 10 but fail in all of our most visible games. We need a 9/10 win season where we beat someone really good in front of a national audience.

Agreed. And I would add that 9/10 win season , beating a major power on national tv (FSU, Clemson, ND) is the only thing at this point that will effectively change the national perception of SU. People here are going to talk about the wins, the bowls, the up tick in recruiting, and b!tch about a lack of respect.

The truth is, we are still a ways from changing perception.

Yes...and the 1998 Orange Bowl losing SU team(8-4) was and is WAY more highly regarded than the 2012 Pinstripe Bowl winning SU team(8-5).

Yes, winning one of the lesser bowls is better than losing - and most people have no idea how those bowls stack up to each other. Most of them are either new, or have new names so nobody knows if the Champs Sports Bowl is better than the Pinstripe or whatever. But everybody knows the Orange, Fiesta, Sugar, Rose are the top bowls. Just being in those is better than winning the lesser bowls.

for those of you scoring at home...

Syracuse after a mediocre season winning a crappy bowl v a scrub > than Syracuse having a great season and losing a major bowl v a real big boy

Syracuse hoop in the NIT getting guys a nice run and game experience > Syracuse making the tourny and getting knocked out early

the barn door has been left open again......

You would think absolutely pummeling highly regarded West Virginia and Louisville teams on TV 2 years in a row, plus the bowl wins would have done something for perception. Anyone who was watching those WVU and LVille blowouts...it's not like we lucked our way to upset wins. We looked great and beat the crap out of both of them in exciting, fun to watch, fashion.

You would think absolutely pummeling highly regarded West Virginia and Louisville teams on TV 2 years in a row, plus the bowl wins would have done something for perception. Anyone who was watching those WVU and LVille blowouts...it's not like we lucked our way to upset wins. We looked great and beat the crap out of both of them in exciting, fun to watch, fashion.
cuts both ways with national perception. i think we overestimate how much anyone even remembers 2005-2008. it felt horrible for us but it's really just a tiny blip. our perception is fine. we sucked for a while and now we're ok again

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom