Late observations/first time post | Syracusefan.com

Late observations/first time post

Syrabills44

Walk On
Hey all-I’ve enjoyed reading this forum for awhile, and thought it was time to finally make an account. I’ve been a long time fan/coach for almost 30 years, and I figured there wouldn’t be a better time to share my thoughts on the first game under a mostly new regime:
-obviously a nice showing from the defense-great compared to what we’ve become accustomed to. Guys were flying to the ball, and the tackling wasn’t bad for week 1/crazy camp conditions. Also against maybe the 2nd best quarterback/offense in the conference. With this being said, I’m still hesitant-need to see them do it a few more times, granted this brings me to my next point...
-The offense was absolutely atrocious to say the least. The play calling was hard to watch, and the fact that we always seem to avoid the middle of the field is bewildering. I get it if you have outstanding receivers, but Saturday they were hard to watch. Tommy gave them a couple good balls, but it looked like they had lotion on their gloves. Lastly, the protection was also ugly at times
-even the kicking game was worrisome
All in all, the positives I think are that we could have very well been up a couple scores at one point, and I think Tommy was serviceable. But again, another year later, the all around execution still isn’t where it needs to be. I think if we take a minute to slow down on offense, take a little bit more of methodical approach, and utilize all the green between the hashes, then that’ll give us the best chance to win. That’ll also allow us to lean on the defense more, and give them the opportunity to win us games. Unfortunately, this obviously isn’t Dino’s identity. Hopefully they clean it up this week and I’ll look like an idiot

Hey all-I’ve enjoyed reading this forum for awhile, and thought it was time to finally make an account. I’ve been a long time fan/coach for almost 30 years, and I figured there wouldn’t be a better time to share my thoughts on the first game under a mostly new regime:
-obviously a nice showing from the defense-great compared to what we’ve become accustomed to. Guys were flying to the ball, and the tackling wasn’t bad for week 1/crazy camp conditions. Also against maybe the 2nd best quarterback/offense in the conference. With this being said, I’m still hesitant-need to see them do it a few more times, granted this brings me to my next point...
-The offense was absolutely atrocious to say the least. The play calling was hard to watch, and the fact that we always seem to avoid the middle of the field is bewildering. I get it if you have outstanding receivers, but Saturday they were hard to watch. Tommy gave them a couple good balls, but it looked like they had lotion on their gloves. Lastly, the protection was also ugly at times
-even the kicking game was worrisome
All in all, the positives I think are that we could have very well been up a couple scores at one point, and I think Tommy was serviceable. But again, another year later, the all around execution still isn’t where it needs to be. I think if we take a minute to slow down on offense, take a little bit more of methodical approach, and utilize all the green between the hashes, then that’ll give us the best chance to win. That’ll also allow us to lean on the defense more, and give them the opportunity to win us games. Unfortunately, this obviously isn’t Dino’s identity. Hopefully they clean it up this week and I’ll look like an idiot
Dude, this is awesome. Keep posting. Good to have more fans talking.

I truly truly believe the lack of passing to the middle of the field falls on our boy Tommy. Except for a couple passes to Harris (who is the go-to receiver), not much action over the middle.
As soon as Culpepper came in the game, he wanted to chuck the ball all around. Same thing at the end of last year when our back up qb came in (who was a walk on) and got the ball moving all over the field. And the offense moved too. And scored

I would suggest you change your handle to JoeFergusonPerryPattersonIHURT

Dude, this is awesome. Keep posting. Good to have more fans talking.

I truly truly believe the lack of passing to the middle of the field falls on our boy Tommy. Except for a couple passes to Harris (who is the go-to receiver), not much action over the middle.
As soon as Culpepper came in the game, he wanted to chuck the ball all around. Same thing at the end of last year when our back up qb came in (who was a walk on) and got the ball moving all over the field. And the offense moved too. And scored
It drives me crazy, essentially playing right into how the defense wants us to. I get the low risk- high reward throws, but w a lack of protection, and being too predictable, these become extremely high risk as well. Need to start playing to the sticks, w the occasional shot play mixed in. And a deep shot isn’t really a deep shot if you run it every series, it completely takes away from its effectiveness.

I also encourage you to keep posting more.

Although... Syrabills?

I assume based on your name that you are a person acquainted with pain. I hope life has been kind to you. ;)
That’s what I’ve told myself for years, could always be the jets/browns! Helps deal w the pain, most of the time

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom