Late spring game recap. (long) | Syracusefan.com

Late spring game recap. (long)

memcorsu

2nd String
Hi all sorry I am just posting this; the ole laptop was in the shop for a few days.

As some of you might recall I had the opportunity to take a few "disadvantaged" young men to the game. We started the day with pick up in Ithaca. I brought them back through Cortland on the way to 81. There is a tank parked outside the future "Brockaway Truck Museum" and the boys had a bit of time to play on it. Took many fun pictures.

Our first stop in Syracuse was at the football wing of Manley. Everything was cleared out but the statue of Jim Brown. The kids got a pic and a brief history of the greats. We discussed Ernie Brown and a bit of the history of segregation. I must admit, the issue is not as big here in CNY in the deep South where I grew up. They all really did not know much about the history. Although much has changed in our nation, I hope as educators, parents, and Americans that we do not forget to educate our youth about the history of our nation both good and bad.

After Manley, we made our way to "Moms" for breakfast. Thank you all for the recommendation. The portions were huge and the prices were very reasonable. Of course they had to get extra orders of different appetizers and, as kids usually do, only finished a few bites of their meal.

Unfortunately we got to the Dome a little late or perhaps you could call it right on time. The game started about 15 minutes early. A friend of mine came along and we both were kind of confused about what was going on. There was no announcement and the time keepers were not aware of the situation either. As far as the game, my quick take is:
  • D looked great, although they were reading the plays before the snap so knew where the play was going. I really would not read much into this come the O side. The players look like they have really bought into off-season work out and ran well and look bigger than last year.
  • Nassib hit a few deep balls and middle throws. There was not much with the run from the walk on from Syr.
  • I really didn't see much from the other qb's.
  • AB is going to be a stud and I think we will see him all over the place during his time on the Hill.
  • Sales looked great. The other receiver that I thought looked good was Flemming. He really runs well and has the size to play the position. I hope he can get his time on the field. Our receivers look like they could be a strong unit. They all came in tall and lanky and have looked to bulk up.
Outside of that, the game was pretty vanilla and I ran around with the kids. I spotted Triche and BMK and the boys shyly got both their autographs. This brings me to the singing event which was a bit of a downer. We got in line and many just jumped in as the event got started. As we almost made it down the whole line of the white team, hoping to get around to the other side of the Dome, a horn blew and the players all just got up and took off. The one humorous thing was Sharpe, Crume, and a few other of the players were busting on Reddish about his "signature". Reddish was signing with a print name and the boys were woofing at him about not having a signature. His comeback, to Crume, "well your going to have to educate me "Showtime"". The event was very regimented and the fan interaction with the team seemed minimal. I am all for giving DM his time, but this spring/game was a head scratcher. I am not going to try to diagnose what is going on , I have no clue so I am going to have to wait and see what the outcome might be. I understand that it is hard to do with the recent history of the program. Hopefully all of this is what was needed to fix last years problems and the outcome will be better this season. The team did seem pretty tight.

I did grab Mr. Wayne Morgan and he was polite enough to sign autographs for the boys and take pictures. He was very excited about coming in the Fall and many of the fans gave him a lot of love. I asked him about Ebenezer and he said that he is working on him. I think Reddish and Morgan could be the MCW of the football team.

Our final event of the day in the Dome was to climb to the very top. Two of the three made it up, one was to afraid due to "fear of heights"; I had to carry the youngest down. They thought the Dome was the "coolest place they have every been".

Sharpe and Wells did toss the boys their gloves. The youngest of the 3 is 7 and wore them around for the rest of the day acting like Spiderman. The were so proud of their "sweaty gloves". They were so amazed about how they "could get so sweaty so fast" and it was discussed among the boys through the rest of the day. I think the most humorous thing that happened is one of the boys dropped his getting into the car and said, "ahh, I dropped my precious sweaty glove".

After the game we went and got a picture with Ernie, discussed the history of 44 a bit more, and had them kicked the side of the Dome for the echo. The boys thought this was really cool. We then made our way down to Marshall. I geared them up with hats, foam fingers, and shirts at "Manley's" and grabbed a pie at "Varsity".

On the way home they were happily asleep. We stopped by Purity in Ithaca and I sent them home with HUGE ice cream cones with way to many sprinkles. All in all it was a great day. I got to see the boys today and they have talked about the event nonstop. I hope that everyone who went enjoyed themselves and suggest that if anyone has an extra ticket or room for one more at an event, you would think about taking a "disadvantaged" childt. It really is such a blessing to see the innocence in which they approach attending such an event and the joy that they feel is priceless. My bunch were in awe the whole time; every corner taken was like unwrapping a Christmas present (they loved the pee troughs). It really drives home the idea that something so small can make a huge life-long effects. Thanks all for the great advice. Go Orange!
Picture 010.jpg

Hi all sorry I am just posting this; the ole laptop was in the shop for a few days.

As some of you might recall I had the opportunity to take a few "disadvantaged" young men to the game. We started the day with pick up in Ithaca. I brought them back through Cortland on the way to 81. There is a tank parked outside the future "Brockaway Truck Museum" and the boys had a bit of time to play on it. Took many fun pictures.

Our first stop in Syracuse was at the football wing of Manley. Everything was cleared out but the statue of Jim Brown. The kids got a pick and a brief history of the greats. To young men were black boys and we discussed Ernie Brown and a bit of the history of segregation. I must admit, the issue is not as big here in CNY in the deep South where I grew up. They all really did not know much about the history. Although much has changed in our nation, I hope as educators, parents, and Americans that we do not forget to educate our youth about the history of our nation both good and bad.

We then made our way to "Moms" for breakfast. Thank you all for the recommendation. The portions were huge and the prices were very reasonable. Of course they had to get extra orders of different appetizers and, as kids usually do, only finished a few bites of their meal.

Unfortunately we got to the Dome a little late or perhaps you could call it right on time. The game started about 15 minutes early. A friend of mine came along and we both were kind of confused about what was going on. There was no announcement and the time keepers were not aware of the situation either. As far as the game went, much has already been mentioned about the game. My quick take is:
  • D looked great, although they were reading the plays before the snap so knew where the play was going. I really would not read much into this come the O side. The players look like they have really bought into off-season work out and ran well and look bigger than last year.
  • Nassib hit a few deep balls and middle throws. There was not much with the run from the walk on from Syr.
  • AB is going to be a stud and I think we will see him all over the place during his time on the Hill.
  • Sales looked great. The other receiver that I thought looked good was Flemming. He really runs well and has the size to play the position. I hope he can get his time on the field. Our receivers look like they could be a strong unit. They all came in tall and lanky and have looked to bulk up.
Outside of that, the game was pretty vanilla and I ran around with the kids. I spotted Triche and BMK and the boys got both shyly got their autographs. The singing thing was really a downer. WE got in line and many just jumped in as the event got started. We almost got down the whole line of the white team when a horn blew and they all just got up and took off. The one humorous thing was Sharpe, Crume, and a few other of the players were busting on Reddish about his "signature". Reddish was signing with a print name and the boys were woofing at him about not having a signature. His comeback, to Crume, "well your going to have to educate me "Showtime"". The even was very regimented and the fan interaction with the team seemed minimal. I am all for giving DM his time, but this spring/game was a head scratcher. I am not going to try to diagnose what is going on but I am going to wait and see. Hopefully all of this is what was needed to fix last years problems and the outcome will be better this season. The team did seem pretty tight.

I did grab Mr. Wayne Morgan and he was polite enough to sign autographs for the boys and take pictures. He was very excited about coming in the Fall and many of the fans gave him a lot of love. I asked him about Ebenezer and he said that he is working on him. I think Reddish and Morgan could be the MCW of the football team.

Our final event of the day was to climb to the very top of the Dome. Two of the three made it up, one was to afraid to, and I had to carry the youngest down. The thought the Dome was the coolest place they have every been. I really think that we could put some

Sharpe and Wells did toss the boys their gloves. The youngest of the 3 is 7 and wore them around for the rest of the day acting like Spiderman. The were so proud of their "sweaty gloves". They were so amazed about how they could get so sweaty so fast and it was discussed among the boys through the rest of the day. I think the most humorous thing that happened is one of the boys dropped his getting into the car and said, "ahh, I dropped my precious sweaty glove".

After the game we went and got a picture with Ernie, discussed the history of 44 a bit more, and had them kicked the side of the Dome for the echo. The boys thought this was really cool. We then made our way down to Marshall. I geared them up with hats, foam fingers, and shirts at "Manley's" and grabbed a pie at "Varsity".

On the way home they were happily asleep. We stopped by Purity in Ithaca and I sent them home with HUGE ice cream cones with way to many sprinkles. All in all it was a great day and I got to see the boys today and they have talked about the event nonstop. Hopefully we have a great season to look forward to. I hope that everyone who went enjoyed themselves and hope that if anyone has an extra ticket or room for one more at an event, you would think about taking a "disadvantaged" child to the event. It really is such a blessing to see the innocence in which they approach attending such an event and the joy that they feel is priceless. They really were in awe the whole time. Thanks all for the great advice.
View attachment 802

Great job and love the story! No doubt that the little ones would enjoy all that, but hell that sounds like a day that I wish I had been a part of as well :)

Nice write up. Thanks for sharing and taking time to spend with these kids!

Our first stop in Syracuse was at the football wing of Manley. Everything was cleared out but the statue of Jim Brown. The kids got a pick and a brief history of the greats. To young men were black boys and we discussed Ernie Brown and a bit of the history of segregation. I must admit, the issue is not as big here in CNY in the deep South where I grew up. They all really did not know much about the history. Although much has changed in our nation, I hope as educators, parents, and Americans that we do not forget to educate our youth about the history of our nation both good and bad.

We then made our way to "Moms" for breakfast. Thank you all for the recommendation. The portions were huge and the prices were very reasonable. Of course they had to get extra orders of different appetizers and, as kids usually do, only finished a few bites of their meal.

Unfortunately we got to the Dome a little late or perhaps you could call it right on time. The game started about 15 minutes early. A friend of mine came along and we both were kind of confused about what was going on. There was no announcement and the time keepers were not aware of the situation either. As far as the game went, much has already been mentioned about the game. My quick take is:
Outside of that, the game was pretty vanilla and I ran around with the kids. I spotted Triche and BMK and the boys got both shyly got their autographs. The singing thing was really a downer. WE got in line and many just jumped in as the event got started. We almost got down the whole line of the white team when a horn blew and they all just got up and took off. The one humorous thing was Sharpe, Crume, and a few other of the players were busting on Reddish about his "signature". Reddish was signing with a print name and the boys were woofing at him about not having a signature. His comeback, to Crume, "well your going to have to educate me "Showtime"". The even was very regimented and the fan interaction with the team seemed minimal. I am all for giving DM his time, but this spring/game was a head scratcher. I am not going to try to diagnose what is going on but I am going to wait and see. Hopefully all of this is what was needed to fix last years problems and the outcome will be better this season. The team did seem pretty tight.

Our final event of the day was to climb to the very top of the Dome. Two of the three made it up, one was to afraid to, and I had to carry the youngest down. The thought the Dome was the coolest place they have every been. I really think that we could put some

Sharpe and Wells did toss the boys their gloves. The youngest of the 3 is 7 and wore them around for the rest of the day acting like Spiderman. The were so proud of their "sweaty gloves". They were so amazed about how they could get so sweaty so fast and it was discussed among the boys through the rest of the day. I think the most humorous thing that happened is one of the boys dropped his getting into the car and said, "ahh, I dropped my precious sweaty glove".

On the way home they were happily asleep. We stopped by Purity in Ithaca and I sent them home with HUGE ice cream cones with way to many sprinkles. All in all it was a great day and I got to see the boys today and they have talked about the event nonstop. Hopefully we have a great season to look forward to. I hope that everyone who went enjoyed themselves and hope that if anyone has an extra ticket or room for one more at an event, you would think about taking a "disadvantaged" child to the event. It really is such a blessing to see the innocence in which they approach attending such an event and the joy that they feel is priceless. They really were in awe the whole time. Something so small can make a huge life-long effects. Thanks all for the great advice.
View attachment 802
Well done. We are going to have something in place this year to help disadvantaged kids go to SU football games. Stay tuned for more information on this. Same bat URL.

Thanks all. Sorry about the unedited version. Been a long week and there was a lot of running around yesterday. Hopefully I got it cleaned up a bit.

You have made a difference in these kids lives. Hopefully you have helped to create a group of new Syracuse fans. Lord knows, the football program needs them!

Great story.
Question for the old timers: is Mom's located where Lee's used to be on Westcott St? It's been a lot of years and my memory is fuzzy.

Well done. We are going to have something in place this year to help disadvantaged kids go to SU football games. Stay tuned for more information on this. Same bat URL.
great idea. i'll use this to pay off my old bet with cuseman69 about whether nassib would start last year. oops.

Awesome story. Sounds like the kids had a great time, I'm glad you got to hit so many of the key locales.

Great story.
Question for the old timers: is Mom's located where Lee's used to be on Westcott St? It's been a lot of years and my memory is fuzzy.

I don't know what Lee's was, but Mom's is across from Westcott Theater.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom