Late Supper | Syracusefan.com

Late Supper

Stevenson

2023 Cali Award Winner Pts Against & Passing Yards
I hade a late supper with the Duke Dachshund last evening and the Notre Dame talk is real. Two eight team divisions, a true championship game between teams that seldom meet in regular season. Here is the breakdown.

North. South
SU. Fsu
Pitt UM
ND. Clemson
MD. UNC
Va. Ncstate
VaTech. Wake
BC. Duke
Uconn. GaTech

7 division games
1 crossover game
4 OCC games

Only question is weather Navy takes the place of Ucant.

Color me dumb, but who exactly is Duke Dachshund and why should I care about what he says?

I hade a late supper with the Duke Dachshund last evening and the Notre Dame talk is real. Two eight team divisions, a true championship game between teams that seldom meet in regular season. Here is the breakdown.

North. South
SU. Fsu
Pitt UM
ND. Clemson
MD. UNC
Va. Ncstate
VaTech. Wake
BC. Duke
Uconn. GaTech

7 division games
1 crossover game
4 OCC games

Only question is weather Navy takes the place of Ucant.
This is the league that Syracuse is supposed to be playing in. But since it sounds too good to be true and makes too much sense, it can't be possible.

Ugh. I'd prefer 4-team pods.

Ideally, this would yield a 9 game schedule (every team in the pod and 2 from each other pod). I could see UND objecting to 9 games, which results in every team in the pod, 2 teams from 2 other pods and one game against a team from the remaining pod. Alternatively, pick a fixed cross-pod game from 2 pods and play one remaining team from each of the other pods.

If a 4-team conference playoff is too much, simply pick the two highest ranked pod champions to play for the conference title.

15 may work better than 16.

Ideally, this would yield a 9 game schedule (every team in the pod and 2 from each other pod). I could see UND objecting to 9 games, which results in every team in the pod, 2 teams from 2 other pods and one game against a team from the remaining pod. Alternatively, pick a fixed cross-pod game from 2 pods and play one remaining team from each of the other pods.

If a 4-team conference playoff is too much, simply pick the two highest ranked pod champions to play for the conference title.

For the Conference Champion, you could pre-assign 2 sets of 2 PODS to be linked for the right to play.

Have 4 PODS of 4 teams. Have each team be pre-established with a designated rival in each of the other PODS. Each team will play the 3 members of its POD every year plus its 3 rivals making 6 games. Then each POD would rotate the other 3 PODS on a yearly basis for 9 games. The winners of the 2 PODS that play each other on a given year would then play for the Championship. So you basically rotate Divisions of 8.

Or you could have static divisions of 8 suggested above, but I like the idea of rotating through the Conference so that there is more opportunity to play everyone regularly.[/quote]

I had a early brunch with Pete Pitbull and he said there is a reason why Pitt and SU were put into the existing divisions, the current teams did not want a north south split. Also 1 crossover game will not work you will need at least 2.

Well, I had a roll in the hay last night with the Carolina Cougar and she told me that ND is stayimng independent. She is never wrong.

47077d1328734115-google-chrome-android-beta-available-now-notsureifserious.png

Color me dumb, but who exactly is Duke Dachshund and why should I care about what he says?
Who is Duke Dachshund? He is supposed to be Turkish. Some say his father was German. Nobody believed he was real. Nobody ever saw him or knew anybody that ever worked directly for him, but to hear Slater tell it, anybody could have worked for Dachshund. You never knew. That was his power. The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And like that, poof. He's gone.

Who is Duke Dachshund? He is supposed to be Turkish. Some say his father was German. Nobody believed he was real. Nobody ever saw him or knew anybody that ever worked directly for him, but to hear Slater tell it, anybody could have worked for Dachshund. You never knew. That was his power. The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And like that, poof. He's gone.

Keaton always said, "I don't believe in God, but I'm afraid of him." Well I believe in God, and the only thing that scares me is Duke Dachsund.

I don't believe it. Now if you had a late dinner with an Irish Setter, then maybe I would be convinced.

Duke Dachshund is just a speck on the shoe of John Syracuse.

You would need pods because UVA has to play UNC every year. No way they agree to make that a once in four years game.

IMO if I am the ACC I shoot for the stars. I offer the following to ND, Texas, and FSU...

-You are each in separate three divisions and play division mates every year (5 games)

-You play each other every year (2 games)

-You are eligible for the ACC CG

-You control TV for your OOC games

So this means that ND, Texas, and FSU each play 7 ACC games and then get 5 OOC games. Texas can put their 3 OOC home games on the LHN if they choose. Or sell them to NBC, FOX, or CBS. ND can put their 2-3 OOC home games on NBC. FSU can sell theirs to whomever. It also allows the three to keep OOC rivalries. Texas can fit in OU without being overwhelmed. Same goes for FSU and Florida. ND can keep USC, Stanford, Navy, and Michigan. They would have to drop one or both of Purdue/Michigan St though. But they would have a true national schedule: 5 ACC Northeast teams, 2 California teams, a Florida team, a Texas team, a Midwest team, and Navy who they can play wherever. Basically these three schools would be semi ACC FB members and semi Indies, which should make all three happy.

As to the divisions they would be:

North- ND, Pitt, SU, MD, BC, RU
Central- Texas, VT, UVA, UNC, NC St, Duke
South- FSU, Miami, Clemson, GA Tech, Louisville, Wake

This keeps all major rivalries in tact. Teams would play in division then rotate cross division for a total of 9 games. For instance SU would play ND, Pitt, MD, BC, and RU every year. They would never play Texas or FSU. They would get 2 Central and 2 South teams every year on a rotating basis. So SU would play home and away once every five years for the cross division teams.

For the ACC CG you take the two best division winners. In BBall you play everyone once and your primary rival a 2nd time. This is as round robin as possible and allows for a fair league champ.

UNC-Duke
SU-MD
Louisville-Texas
ND-Pitt
NC St-Wake
GA Tech-Clemson
FSU-Miami
BC-RU
UVA-VT

This would easily be the best BBall conference in all the land. And the ACCT would be awesome. Using RPI last year woulda been:

SU vs the winner of Texas vs the winner of UVA vs the winner of Wake vs GA Tech
UNC vs the winner of NC St vs the winner of Miami vs the winner of RU vs BC
Duke vs the winner of ND vs the winner of Pitt vs Clemson
FSU vs the winner of Louisville vs the winner of MD vs VT

That round of 8 would be something.

I don't understand the whole thing about Texas. I know that money rules, and people are always trying to go after the big fish. But Texas in the ACC is just an odd fit. And odd fits ultimately lead to dissolution. ND may never come to a conference. But at least, in theory, they are a decent fit for the ACC. I don't see why the ACC would entertain thoughts of Texas.

Gawd, a conference with Texas AND Notre Dame? The two biggest primadonna schools in the land playing in the same conference?

Nah...that totally sounds like a workable solution. What could possibly go wrong?

Well, I had a roll in the hay last night with the Carolina Cougar and she told me that ND is stayimng independent. She is never wrong.

Carolina Cougar told me the same thing.