Latest From Clay Travis | Syracusefan.com

Latest From Clay Travis

KingOtis

All Conference
http://outkickthecoverage.com/the-sec-and-big-ten-will-have-16-members.php

Like I said a few days ago, he's been ahead of the curve from the start. He had Mizzou to the SEC when everyone thought they were headed to the Big 10. He said Texas A&M would sever all ties with Texas when everyone thought they were both headed to the Pac 12.

He's been saying Virginia Tech and NC State to the SEC for over a year and now he's predicting Virginia and Georgia Tech (not UNC) to the Big 10. And these moves with eventually lead to the departures of Florida State and Clemson to the Big 12, as expected.

If there's a silver lining, it's that Big 12 expansion will stabilize that conference, meaning the Pac-12 will hold with its current membership. Meaning the ACC can add Big East schools and live on.

So under his scenario these are what the conferences will look like

B1G: Wiscy, Iowa, Nebraska, Minny, Indiana, Purdue, Mich, tOSU, Mich. St., NW, Ped. St., Illinois, MD, Rutgers, UVA, GT
SEC: TAMU, Mizz, Ole Miss, Miss. St, Arkansas, LSU, Bama, Auburn, Vandy, Tenn, UK, UF, UGA, South Carolina, VPI, NCSU
Big 12: Bevo, Texas Tech, TCU, OU, OSU, Kansas, KSU, Iowa St., WVU, Baylor, Florida St., Clemson
PAC12: Arizona, ASU, USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Oregon, Oregon St, UW, Wash. St., Colorado, Utah

So that leaves an ACC of BC, Cuse, Pitt, Duke, UNC, Wake, Miami. I don't think ND sticks around in this scenario, so they would have to get L'ville, storz, Cinci, USF, somebody else to get back to 12. UGHHHHHH! I think it's been stated already but our best chance is for the PAC 12 to grab some combination of Texas/Oklahoma to kill off the Big 12 to force a merger of leftovers from ACC and Big 12 into the 4th super conference. Here's what I'd hope to see. Pac 12 gets Texas, whatever other Texas school Bevo wants to include, Oklahoma, and OSU. The new hybrid conference looks like this:

BC, Cuse, Pitt, Duke, UNC, Wake, Miami, storz, WVU, Louisville, Kansas, Kansas St., Florida St., Clemson, USF, Notre Dame

Keep Wake to make the Carolina schools happy, get USF to placate Miami. Sorry ISU and the other two Texas schools.

That's one scary and sensible sounding article :( While the majority of movement makes no sense from a fan's perspective, the money argument is winning the day. What JB said last night was what the majority of fans are feeling. In this article's scenario, our basketball program should continue to survive and thrive. But our football program would be sent to the hinterlands. They'd have to create another division in college football between 1-A and 1- AA to accommodate the new reality many programs such as ours would face. I hope he's wrong but I can't argue with his logic.

What makes everyone think that the Big 12 is any better off than the ACC? Texas and the Longhorn Network is still an issue that remains unresolved. It just does not seem to me to be the no-brainier some folks think it is for schools like Clemson and FSU.

What makes everyone think that the Big 12 is any better off than the ACC? Texas and the Longhorn Network is still an issue that remains unresolved. It just does not seem to me to be the no-brainier some folks think it is for schools like Clemson and FSU.
The fact that it doesn't make sense us why it will probably happen

images

They still make millions more per team. Also, they have better bowl tie-ins w/ the SEC.
As long as Texas & OU are in that league, the Big 12 is a better option than the ACC.

images

They still make millions more per team. Also, they have better bowl tie-ins w/ the SEC.
As long as Texas & OU are in that league, the Big 12 is a better option than the ACC.

And then the pac realizes how painfully far behind the SEC and B1G it is and expands to 16.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Texas/Ou and FSU/Clemson are the keys and if those football anchors leave either conference, that said conference is in deep do do.

What about the acc targeting the wvu hillbillies and that Ollie luck? Good football school traditionally. They have to be sick of flying to Texas for half their games. I know the broadcasting rights would be an issue but the Maryland cash could go for that. Barring that I call for an all out fan revolt. The only fans happy w recent developments are Rutgers. And we all know that they won't be around in ten years when Rutgers blows again.

What about the acc targeting the wvu hillbillies and that Ollie luck? Good football school traditionally. They have to be sick of flying to Texas for half their games. I know the broadcasting rights would be an issue but the Maryland cash could go for that. Barring that I call for an all out fan revolt. The only fans happy w recent developments are Rutgers. And we all know that they won't be around in ten years when Rutgers blows again.
no we all don't know that----only the short sighted do

Isn't he a country western singer?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

because it is near impossible to leave that conference with the media rights deal they negotiated and the fact that they are linked with the SEC for that bowl game.

because it is near impossible to leave that conference with the media rights deal they negotiated and the fact that they are linked with the SEC for that bowl game.

Only the PAC, B1G or SEC have the juice to crack the Almighty GOR. The ACC has to wait to see if any of the Power 3 wants to make a move on Texas.

Delaney has the hammer and fully intends to use it. If he grabs VA, then UNC would have to follow.
Thats a straight-line progression from NJ (RU)-to-PA(PSU)-to-Md-to-VA-to-NC...the whole mid-Atlantic Coast under BTN rule.

no but maybe get them and kentucky---may help--

That's a great idea! Vandy and Kentucky, it'd certainly help the ACC a little.

Now just tell me how Swofford should convince them to leave the SEC for less money and less conference security.

C'mon people. Love discussing the possibilities, and bemoaning the destruction of college sports as we know it... But how about just a little sanity in the midst of the paranoia and Machiavellian suggestions. In order for a school to join a conference it has to benefit the school AND the conference.

By your logic, why not just go after Tennesee and Alabama? Expands the footprint and makes the ACC even better!

The only pipe dream scenario worth discussing is Notre Dame as a full member. At least that's only about 50 to 1 right now.

Delaney has the hammer and fully intends to use it. If he grabs VA, then UNC would have to follow.
Thats a straight-line progression from NJ (RU)-to-PA(PSU)-to-Md-to-VA-to-NC...the whole mid-Atlantic Coast under BTN rule.
UNC would have to follow VA? Based on what?

UVA doesn't add any more value than Maryland already added. Kansas is up next.

UVA doesn't add any more value than Maryland already added. Kansas is up next.

It adds Virginia TV markets, some of which UMD doesn't reach. It also further destabilizes the ACC and makes ND that much more available.

According to USA Today's database, here are some recent athletic budget numbers for NJ State and the public schools in the ACC:

Code:
School    Total Revenue  Total Expenses  Total Subsidy  %Subsidy
Rutgers     $60,190,100     $60,190,100    $28,475,523     47.3%
Maryland    $61,634,829     $61,632,000    $15,861,641     25.7%
Virginia    $78,439,006     $72,400,342    $12,973,298     16.5%
GA Tech     $54,354,409     $55,065,262     $6,454,071     11.9%
UNC         $75,606,311     $74,312,602     $8,829,369     11.7%
VPI         $66,909,557     $62,594,797     $7,591,114     11.3%
FSU         $78,575,788     $86,949,804     $7,528,006      9.6%
Clemson     $61,174,977     $58,367,884     $5,106,024      8.3%
NC State    $51,076,345     $50,560,564     $1,088,895      2.1%

Assuming these are anywhere near accurate, it's clear that Rutgers and Maryland were vulnerable to financial incentives to move to another conference. Of the remaining public schools in the ACC, Virginia would appear to be most at risk. Yet, in this SB Nation report for 2010-2011, we find that UVA topped the ACC for overall department profit with $6,038,664... so maybe it isn't really at risk.

So Maryland spends over $61 million to make a profit of $2,829? What a business! LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom