Latest Palm | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Latest Palm

And in another similar site (www.teamrankings.com), they are saying our most likely ranking (at 22.5%) is 6, but a 5 seed is only slightly less likely, at 21.5%.

Make of it what you will.

Yeah, I'm not surprised we have moved more toward a 5 after yesterday. That's where I'm pegging us right now. Win 2 games next week and maybe a 4 can happen, win 3 and I'd expect a 4.

The funny thing about this team is that their defense is strong and has stayed strong. GTown only scored 61 even though our offense gift wrapped 10 or so points for them. So in a tournament setting, any 1 seed would be crapping if they saw us because IF we make some shots, we are winning. Period. BT goes 7 for 7 in the first half against UL and we win on the road. JS lights up Arkansas and we become the only visiting team to win there this year. Those shooting nights can happen for this SU team (and frankly probably will happen at least once). But they ain't happening for 3 or 4 games.

My prediction: we play a workmanlike game to win our first one. We get on fire and shoot well to win fairly easily in the second round. And we put up our "normal" performance in the Sweet 16, which means it is one of those agonizing games where we can't make diddly and lose 64-55 to a team we all feel like we should have beaten. The good performance in the second round will convince us all that they've turned a corner and everything will be ok. (Note, this is not only the formula for this particular team, but basically 90% of our Sweet 16 games as well).

My prediction: we play a workmanlike game to win our first one. We get on fire and shoot well to win fairly easily in the second round. And we put up our "normal" performance in the Sweet 16, which means it is one of those agonizing games where we can't make diddly and lose 64-55 to a team we all feel like we should have beaten. The good performance in the second round will convince us all that they've turned a corner and everything will be ok. (Note, this is not only the formula for this particular team, but basically 90% of our Sweet 16 games as well).

This is basically exactly what happened in 2010. We were all a little down with AO out, but we made a ton of jumpers and jumped all over Gonzaga.

The funny thing about this team is that their defense is strong and has stayed strong. GTown only scored 61 even though our offense gift wrapped 10 or so points for them. So in a tournament setting, any 1 seed would be crapping if they saw us because IF we make some shots, we are winning. Period. BT goes 7 for 7 in the first half against UL and we win on the road. JS lights up Arkansas and we become the only visiting team to win there this year. Those shooting nights can happen for this SU team (and frankly probably will happen at least once). But they ain't happening for 3 or 4 games.

This is basically exactly what happened in 2010. We were all a little down with AO out, but we made a ton of jumpers and jumped all over Gonzaga.

That happened in 2012 too. The UNC-Ashville game wasn't great by any means, but good enough to win. KState the 2nd round was much easier, we shot really well and suffocated them on D. The Sweet 16 vs. Wisconsin we overcame 14 3's and scored enough to win (we put up around 60-65 I believe)?

It's really how scary how good this team can be if we have 1 of Triche/JS shooting well. Even if those 2 can alternate having good games and the defense keeps playing well, we should make it to the Elite 8 (unless we see Duke in the Sweet 16).

Our defense alone will give us wins over 75% of the field. It's up to our offense to be semi-functional to take us over the top.

Count me among those who don't want to see MTSU or St Louis. Those are top 15 defenses nationally, and we all know how much we struggle against good defenses.

That happened in 2012 too. The UNC-Ashville game wasn't great by any means, but good enough to win. KState the 2nd round was much easier, we shot really well and suffocated them on D. The Sweet 16 vs. Wisconsin we overcame 14 3's and scored enough to win (we put up around 60-65 I believe)?

It's really how scary how good this team can be if we have 1 of Triche/JS shooting well. Even if those 2 can alternate having good games and the defense keeps playing well, we should make it to the Elite 8 (unless we see Duke in the Sweet 16).

Our defense alone will give us wins over 75% of the field. It's up to our offense to be semi-functional to take us over the top.

The problem is that last year's team sans Fab is still much better than this year's team. No more DePauls and Seton Halls in the Tourney. Even if we are a 5 vs 12 that 12 is going to be a good team.

Count me among those who don't want to see MTSU or St Louis. Those are top 15 defenses nationally, and we all know how much we struggle against good defenses.

Well you probably don't need to worry about MTSU now

I think we have work to do to retain a 5 seed. If we don't win two games then I could easily see us as a 6 seed.

I think we have work to do to retain a 5 seed. If we don't win two games then I could easily see us as a 6 seed.

I think they could end up as a 6 if they only win one, but I still think the 5 is more likely.

Though I have to be honest, I'm not sure how much of a difference there will be. Maybe as a 6 we can play closer to home; at least get sent to the East regional?

Update after yesterday's games - pretty much the same except for the 1st round opponent - 5 seed SU vs. 12 seed Bucknell. Other than that, same future opponents, same sites as the OP.

Yet, we would have no one that could handle Olynyk.

Olynyk would foul our bigs out. Pangos shoots 42% from 3 and Bell shoot 38%. Harris has a good mid-range game. No thanks.

If we go 1-1 in the BET we could still be a 7.

Our likely seed is probably a 5, but I can certainly see a committee seeing us as a 6 seed on the s curve. Once you get onto the 6 line, teams start moving a seed line sometimes in order to accomodate bracket rules / to restrict travel. So we would be a "6" but moved down to 7.