Lax Mag: Early DI Men's Rankings: Nos. 1-25 | Syracusefan.com

Lax Mag: Early DI Men's Rankings: Nos. 1-25

Way-Early 2018 Rankings: Nos. 6-10 (Division I Men)

10. UNC
9. Hofstra
8. Rutgers
7. Ohio St
6. Syracuse

2017 record: 13-3 (4-0 Atlantic Coast)
Last seen: Done in by early penalties and an inability to solve Towson’s tenacious defensive midfield in the program’s third quarterfinal loss in as many years.
Senior starts lost: 80 of 160 (50 percent)
Senior scoring departing: 158 of 325 points (48.6 percent)

Initial forecast: Syracuse is the first team since 2008-10 Maryland to lose in the quarterfinals for three consecutive years, and only two programs (2002-07 Georgetown and 1986-89 Navy) have four quarterfinal exits in a row to their name. There’s a solid chance the Orange will be just good enough to join that company next spring. Syracuse remains a program where enough offensive talent is collected to withstand most losses, and it is as willing as anyone to plug-in would-be attackmen in the midfield. In other words, a unit led by Nate Solomon and the unheralded Stephen Rehfuss will be fine. The question, as it has been much of this decade, is whether the defense can hold up. It was better this year, an impressive feat considering Nick Mellen’s preseason injury, but once again has to find answers in the cage with Evan Molloy graduating. One other thing --- Syracuse won about three years’ worth of one-goal games this year, and it can’t expect to replicate some of 2017’s fortunate bounces moving forward.

It's official. Albany has taken the Oranges spot in the national pecking order and in New York state. But, SU still has an edge on Bingo, for now.

It's official. Albany has taken the Oranges spot in the national pecking order and in New York state. But, SU still has an edge on Bingo, for now.

Your pronouncement is a little premature. Albany has beaten Syracuse once. They are a popular pick and I, myself, would rank them higher than SU this coming year, but I expect SU to beat them in '18, as we always do. We have the advantage of playing at home and having one game under our belt while they are playing their first game.

I also have come to question Marr's game management. I thought his coaching at the close of the regular season game against Maryland was poor. He has built a very strong program, and maybe he can make the next step himself.

But to say that Albany is a superior program to Syracuse --not so much.

SU Lax is becoming like SU FB, living in ifs past greatness. The fact of the matter is as of right now, UA is thought of as a better team and program than SU by the national lacrosse media.

SU Lax is becoming like SU FB, living in ifs past greatness. The fact of the matter is as of right now, UA is thought of as a better team and program than SU by the national lacrosse media.

...in June '17 preseason rankings.

Better program? Better. Program?You've got to be kidding me.
IMG_6159.GIF

Stop. Better team and better program are not the same argument. Might they be the better team? Sure. Better program? Not even close. You sound foolish. They need to beat us at some point too. Not to mention, you act as if SU has fallen off a cliff. Number 6.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom