LAX TV/Streaming Action for March 29-April 3 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

LAX TV/Streaming Action for March 29-April 3

I can't get into Ivy League games.
Murphy had another big game for the Terps with 4 goals.

With UVA loss to Richmond, I think ACC is now leaning toward only getting two bids. I was probably one of the few heading into the day that still thought the ACC would get three when all was said and done.

Not so much now. The conference didn’t need UVA RPI hit.
no conference bid deal is dependent on one game of course. every team will have their own numbers also.
if anything, the chances for teams outside looking in went up today with the chance of getting dubs against uva.

moore hamstring and lasalla probably shoulder are out for the foreseeable future. and uva's d is all of a sudden a mess 2 weeks out of 3.

Pretty much everyone left on SU’s schedule lost today or came very close to losing, of course except for Notre Dame.

UNC is losing to Duke by 10, Cornell beat Dartmouth by only one and of course UVA lost to Richmond. The path is definitely there for SU. Unfortunately it doesn’t look like Cuse could beat West Genny right now.

no conference bid deal is dependent on one game of course. every team will have their own numbers also.
if anything, the chances for teams outside looking in went up today with the chance of getting dubs against uva.

moore hamstring and lasalla probably shoulder are out for the foreseeable future. and uva's d is all of a sudden a mess 2 weeks out of 3.

Overall conference RPI (potential) took a dip with UVA loss. Intraconference wins and losses are pushing the same sand that’s already in the pile around.

Pretty much everyone left on SU’s schedule lost today or came very close to losing, of course except for Notre Dame.

UNC is losing to Duke by 10, Cornell beat Dartmouth by only one and of course UVA lost to Richmond. The path is definitely there for SU. Unfortunately it doesn’t look like Cuse could beat West Genny right now.

I still think the path for Syracuse is 8-6. But running out of games to get to 8 wins.

Overall conference RPI (potential) took a dip with UVA loss. Intraconference wins and losses are pushing the same sand that’s already in the pile around.
yes, but it's one game.

yes, but it's one game.

Yes, but

Loyola > Duke
Jacksonville > Duke
Ohio State > Notre Dame
Ohio State > N Carolina
Richmond > Virginia
Hopkins > Syracuse
Army > Syracuse

And looking less damaging:
Penn > Duke
Georgetown > Notre Dame
Maryland > Notre Dame
Maryland > Virginia
Maryland > Syracuse

At some point it matters. One of these losses was the straw that broke the camel’s back on all five getting in. And one of these was the one that broke it on four of the five getting in. And maybe somewhere there will be the one that breaks it for three of the five getting in. Maybe this was it, maybe it wasn’t. But we’re getting close to it either way.

Loyola, Richmond, Jacksonville are straight up damaging losses.

Ohio State and Army are teams that head-to-head could matter for the last few at large bids.

And Hopkins still could go either way I guess, even though I lean more toward damaging.

Yes, but

Loyola > Duke
Jacksonville > Duke
Ohio State > Notre Dame
Ohio State > N Carolina
Richmond > Virginia
Hopkins > Syracuse
Army > Syracuse

And looking less damaging:
Penn > Duke
Georgetown > Notre Dame
Maryland > Notre Dame
Maryland > Virginia
Maryland > Syracuse

At some point it matters. One of these losses was the straw that broke the camel’s back on all five getting in. And one of these was the one that broke it on four of the five getting in. And maybe somewhere there will be the one that breaks it for three of the five getting in. Maybe this was it, maybe it wasn’t. But we’re getting close to it either way.

Loyola, Richmond, Jacksonville are straight up damaging losses.

Ohio State and Army are teams that head-to-head could matter for the last few at large bids.

And Hopkins still could go either way I guess, even though I lean more toward damaging.
i get the acc carries an ecosystem. but i will continue to assume it will be on rpi. every team's individual rpi will be what matters. obviously, it's better for the league to have one loss ooc like last year, but that's not sustainable.

if teams can knock off virginia now and virginia can and probably will still get in, that benefits the teams that need to pump their records (w/l) a bit more. and that includes all of the other 4 acc's.

i get the acc carries an ecosystem. but i will continue to assume it will be on rpi. every team's individual rpi will be what matters.

Even more so with the new ACC round robin and a half. With no/few non-conferences losses, it’s all roses. Win or lose the conference games, individual RPIs are strong. With several damaging non-conference losses, suddenly you don’t lift each other nearly as much when you play each other.

The individual RPIs other than Virginia aren’t really there right now. Playing each other won’t help them too much. My thoughts, anyway.

I can't get into Ivy League games.

That’s a shame. I really missed the Ivy League games last year, but I know everyone likes watching different styles.

Even more so with the new ACC round robin and a half. With no/few non-conferences losses, it’s all roses. Win or lose the conference games, individual RPIs are strong. With several damaging non-conference losses, suddenly you don’t lift each other nearly as much when you play each other.

The individual RPIs other than Virginia aren’t really there right now. Playing each other won’t help them too much. My thoughts, anyway.
not vs the ivy, anyway. i said at the beginning of the season the new setup could be a mistake. you're just mostly adding games with the 5th and maybe 4th best teams.

the b1g made just as big a mistake with keeping all 6 in the conference tourney, and now they have mich with a very weak schedule and rpi and psu is like 2 and 8.

cuse may now be done, so that takes one team out of it. i can't see them beating notre dame. maybe uva if phaup kills it, but still tough to see. even with that, they'd have to run the table? cornell, duke and unc. their holy cross game probably keeps them from being able to go 7-7, along with whatever hobart and albany finish with.

depending on conference tourney results and acc results, nd, duke and unc will likely be right in the mix for the last 1 or 2 spots.

I said at the beginning of the season the new setup could be a mistake. you're just mostly adding games with the 5th and maybe 4th best teams.

the b1g made just as big a mistake with keeping all 6 in the conference tourney, and now they

depending on conference tourney results and acc results, nd, duke and unc will likely be right in the mix for the last 1 or 2 spots.

We agree on all of these points.

I dislike the round robin and a half. I dislike 6 of 6 in the conference tournament.

I think every ACC team except for Virginia (also the possible exception of Syracuse if they are under .500) is going to be on the bubble come early May. And Syracuse still could be with a turnaround in form.

Whether it’s bubble in or bubble out, we wait and see.

I didn't see any of the Duke/UNC game today. Based on the stats, looks like UNC offense was misfiring and Adler was having a big day - all at the same time

We agree on all of these points.

I dislike the round robin and a half. I dislike 6 of 6 in the conference tournament.

I think every ACC team except for Virginia (also the possible exception of Syracuse if they are under .500) is going to be on the bubble come early May. And Syracuse still could be with a turnaround in form.

Whether it’s bubble in or bubble out, we wait and see.
for many years, my thought was that coaches didn't understand how to schedule. it was semi-defensible as the criteria changed every year in application.

now that we've gone straight rpi for 3 years disregarding covid year... unless they were told something else about how selections will go, they still don't get it.

uva has both quinnipiac AND bellarmine coming up. that's insane. all this money and effort for programs, hire laxreference for gawd sakes.

I still think the path for Syracuse is 8-6. But running out of games to get to 8 wins.

And with two games left against teams they’ve lost to double digits by, this looks unlikely. SU can only lose one more if they want to finish 8-6.

Cornell will have one days rest against the Orange next week (the Orange will have three) so maybe they can steal one there. If LaSalla and Moore are still out against UVa, maybe they do well at home. UNC hasn’t been great but they crushed Syracuse last year. Seems like a lot would have to fall right this year for them to do well, and they haven’t won more than two games in a row all year.

If they can only withstand one more loss it seems like too far a bridge. Frustrating since the ACC is down and so the opportunity is there. But that Duke win is looking like an anomaly right now. Wins over Hobart, Holy Cross and Stony Brook aren’t very impressive.

Ah, they have added Albany's win, raising Maryland's RPI a few thousandths, which has pushed Maryland back into the #2 spot in front of Georgetown.
Given that Maryland has only beaten 3 top 20 RPI teams: #1 Princeton, #6 Virginia, and #18 Notre Dame, it makes one wonder if some of this lauding of Maryland is not a bit premature. This goes along with Tillman's rat poison:

“After the Loyola game I bought three packages of rat poison and put it in our locker room. They’re still in there,” Tillman said. “And I sent them the Nick Saban clip of him talking about the rat poison.”
Tillman said the rat poison — a reference to Alabama football head coach Nick Saban’s description of the impact and effect that media and attention can have on players — is a reminder for the team to remain focused.

One sort of wonders from afar, if one of the factors in the ACC not getting an associate member is that the ACC lax coaches haven't really pushed for it. The ACC lax coaches feeling much like some of the ACC fans, that the ACC always gets 3-5 teams in, so there is little need for an AQ. This season could change that feeling for some of them.

I wonder how long LaSalla will be out for UVa.

Last edited:
One sort of wonders from afar, if one of the factors in the ACC not getting an associate member is that the ACC lax coaches haven't really pushed for it. The ACC lax coaches feeling much like some of the ACC fans, that the ACC always gets 3-5 teams in, so there is little need for an AQ. This season could change that feeling for some of them.

I wonder how long LaSalla will be out for UVa.
acc lacrosse coaches don't hold much sway with other schools' ad's. word is the wake forest? ad said "john hopkins will win an acc championship over my dead body."

it doesn't look good for lasalla, in a sling. hopefully a shoulder. if it's a clavicle, he's likely done.

Ah, they have added Albany's win, raising Maryland's RPI a few thousandths, which has pushed Maryland back into the #2 spot in front of Georgetown.
Given that Maryland has only beaten 3 top 20 RPI teams: #1 Princeton, #6 Virginia, and #18 Notre Dame, it makes one wonder if some of this lauding of Maryland is not a bit premature. This goes along with Tillman's rat poison:

“After the Loyola game I bought three packages of rat poison and put it in our locker room. They’re still in there,” Tillman said. “And I sent them the Nick Saban clip of him talking about the rat poison.”
Tillman said the rat poison — a reference to Alabama football head coach Nick Saban’s description of the impact and effect that media and attention can have on players — is a reminder for the team to remain focused.

coaches can try those tricks and more importantly stay on message.
- the players have to not have a letdown
- nobody plays their best every game, and sometimes opponents come close
- when they come into a tight situation, they have to make more plays in limited sample size and maybe get some bounces, too.

i suspect they'll be tested again pre-nc$$.

acc lacrosse coaches don't hold much sway with other schools' ad's. word is the wake forest? ad said "john hopkins will win an acc championship over my dead body."

it doesn't look good for lasalla, in a sling. hopefully a shoulder. if it's a clavicle, he's likely done.

Does UVa only have Braun as the back up fogo? That could be a real issue for the Cavs. Was pretty surprised they had such little depth at the fogo spot to start the year.

ACC has had the benefits not only of 5th year grads but also of an unprecedented transfer market and have fallen behind the Big 10 (which has taken more advantage of transfers and has the same benefits) and the Ivy League (which doesn’t).

Obviously things could still turn around but I wonder if the Acc attacks the transfer market more next year? Syracuse, UNC and Virginia bring in top recruiting classes so maybe they choose to focus on their own players. But maybe things just get more ruthless out there.

But if they aren't asking much at all, it really wouldn't happen. That is why I was suggesting Utah, no lacrosse dirty laundry and being another large school the association might seem positive to some ACC bigwigs.

Virginia doesn't really have a large list of top RPI wins:
#12 UNC, #16 Hopkins, #18 Notre Dame
If UNC were to pull the upset this weekend over UVa, with UVa not having LaSalla, things could get really interesting at the top of the ACC? Isn't Moore supposedly hurting too, with his hamstring?

UNC top 20 RPI wins:
#15 Richmond, #16 Hopkins, #17 Denver, #19 Brown
Duke top 20 RPI wins:
#12 UNC, #15 Richmond, #17 Denver
(Duke does have some poor RPI losses: #23 Jacksonville, #26 Loyola, #30 [])

Does UVa only have Braun as the back up fogo? That could be a real issue for the Cavs. Was pretty surprised they had such little depth at the fogo spot to start the year.

ACC has had the benefits not only of 5th year grads but also of an unprecedented transfer market and have fallen behind the Big 10 (which has taken more advantage of transfers and has the same benefits) and the Ivy League (which doesn’t).

Obviously things could still turn around but I wonder if the Acc attacks the transfer market more next year? Syracuse, UNC and Virginia bring in top recruiting classes so maybe they choose to focus on their own players. But maybe things just get more ruthless out there.
they lost a portal fogo, didn't replace him and are bringing in a top fogo next year. they bet and lost (particularly not grabbing someone as a 3rd) this summer, and now their backup is a pole, their 2nd or 3rd lsm depending on injuries.

notre dame in particular and dook also have been pretty active in the transfer market. duke less so this past year, but they had to trim their roster. they had like 58 guys in 2021.
unc and uva will continue to be selective. cuse i suspect will be a bit more active, they never shied away from them. my guess in gg's 1st year he wanted to get the lay of the land and couldn't really do that in summer one.

the b1g is umd and the others until proven otherwise. i certainly wouldn't be saying they've been passed by the b1g. the ivy is having a very good year. not sold that's permanent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom