Class of 2020 - LB Anwar Sparrow (VA) COMMITTED / SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (4/29/20) | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 LB Anwar Sparrow (VA) COMMITTED / SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (4/29/20)

I can’t wait to see the hits on kickoff and punt coverage.

Dude is going to cause some fumbles. If a ball carrier is being held up but not whistled down, this guy is like a heat seeking missile.

I would assume that he’s obviously in the clear if we are accepting his commit and eventual LOI
Yes, according to the Bailey article, he recently qualified academically. Apparently the staff has waived the "must visit campus" requirement during these crazy times.

Agreed. He plays like someone on the other team wrecked his car and left it at his high school, with taunting spray paint graffiti.

He has my vote as the member of the class of 2020 most likely to cause a concussion.

Ridgemont-High-Z28.jpg
Lol yes Charles Jefferson.

I'll say this for the staff: they leave no stone unturned.

Seems like a quality "get" -- especially if the lack of offers were due to grade concerns.
Or was the lack of offers, just a lack of offers????? I truly hope he is a steal. But as somebody that attended Syracuse our academics aren't as easy as say North Carolina where they have fake classes for athletes to bring up GPA. He has to hit the books at Syracuse. And please being a steal. Looking at this class we need a difference maker on defense. Hope this kid is it.

Our poor recruiting has put us in the spot where we actually are hoping recruits dont have high P5 or even low P5 offers, because they are academically challenged. Syracuse football right now truly is in bizarro world.

Last edited:
Legit reminds me of Shamarko with the way he is fearless and relentless striking people. Also, he looks like a prototypical guy Shafer would've loved, but he definitely projects well in the 3-3-5. Let Edinger get ahold of him for a couple years then release him into the backfield.

Or was the lack of offers, just a lack of offers????? I truly hope he is a steal. But as somebody that attended Syracuse our academics aren't as easy as say North Carolina where they have fake classes for athletes to bring up GPA. He has to hit the books at Syracuse. And please being a steal. Looking at this class we need a difference maker on defense. Hope this kid is it.

Our poor recruiting has put us in the spot where we actually are hoping recruits dont have high P5 or even low P5 offers, because they are academically challenged. Syracuse football right now truly is in bizarro world.
You could probably determine for yourself, if you can read the post above??????????.??

No one is hoping that - What are you talking about?

Way over the top with the recruiting negativity. You might want to quarantine your keyboard for awhile.

Not nearly as "bizarro" as your fandom.

I have a feeling that if you were a Clemson fan you'd still find something to biotch about.

One thing this staff does VERY well and I can say probably better than any staff in the country is recruiting kids that are late qualifiers or getting kids that are borderline with grades that make it to campus.

A lot of these kids are studs but a lot of schools back off because of grades. The last few classes our staff never gave up on kids because of grades/being late qualifiers and it shows when we land them. Like I said a lot of these kids are studs and would have a lot more offers if there grades were better. Not to mention the fact this staff kills it with keeping these kids focused and making sure they meet the grades and obviously a lot of that credit goes to the kids as well!

Here are some of the kids that we got that are late qualifiers/were borderline with grades. Some are already producing but I think most can agree a lot of these kids will be really good:

Caleb Okechukwa
Jawhar Jordan
Drew Tuazama
Jahad Carter
Javonte Williams
Anwar Sparrow

I’m sure I’m missing some kids too but these guys all would have had a lot more offers if it wasn’t for being late qualifiers. I can see all these guys being real players for us in the near future and quite honestly they all have the potential to be studs. Most programs would have stopped recruiting kids, Dino and staff only recruited these kids harder and it paid off.

No one is hoping that - What are you talking about?

Way over the top with the recruiting negativity. You might want to quarantine your keyboard for awhile.

It's too negative. Love the aggression the kid plays with. His athleticism didnt really stand out for me, but he's playing against good talent so it's going to be harder to stand out, and Louisville doesnt recruit kids who are below average athletes.

But also, Wake was concerned about burning a scholly on him, and Syracuse is not? That does speak to the down year we had recruiting. I know Wake is notoriously rigorous academically, but it said ECU also did not offer for the same reason and well, ECU isnt known for academic rigor.

It's too negative. Love the aggression the kid plays with. His athleticism didnt really stand out for me, but he's playing against good talent so it's going to be harder to stand out, and Louisville doesnt recruit kids who are below average athletes.

But also, Wake was concerned about burning a scholly on him, and Syracuse is not? That does speak to the down year we had recruiting. I know Wake is notoriously rigorous academically, but it said ECU also did not offer for the same reason and well, ECU isnt known for academic rigor.
I think you may be confusing ECU with UNC. ;)
ECU has a highly regarded medical school.

That's because if a school signs a kid who does not qualify they lose the scholarship. It reads to me like those schools were talking to him in Jan/Feb and didn't offer by signing day because he wasn't qualified. They couldn't take the risk of losing the ship. It appears that he just qualified within the last week and we got on it quick.

Re; other schools they didn't circle back around; they're full, they moved on, or just slow. Kid didn't want to wait it out.

Last edited:
That's because if a school signs a kid who does not qualify they lose the scholarship. It reads to me like those schools were talking to him in Jan/Feb and didn't offer by signing day because he wasn't qualified. It appears that he just qualified within the last week and we got on it quick.

Re; other schools they didn't circle back around; they're full, they moved on, or just slow. Kid didn't want to wait it out.
Plus the NCAA just readjusted the academic requirements two weeks ago.

Plus the NCAA just readjusted the academic requirements two weeks ago.

yes, and anyone who pays attention on this site should know that you didn't just post that in this thread for no reason. THAT is why the kid didn't get the offers he should have gotten previously.