Class of 2018 - LB Fa'najae Gotay (FL) Verbal to UMD | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 LB Fa'najae Gotay (FL) Verbal to UMD

He goes to HS 20 minutes away from me. I just might have to throw on some orange and go watch his team destroy my alma mater next season.

Not great that he had to do an internet search to find out about us as a program, but I guess that's the truth and an indicator of where we still are and how far we have to go in repairing our image.Glad he took the time to do so. That sounds like a sign of maturity to me.

If he said we offered him at RB I don't think there'd be a spot for him... Wonder if we moved him to LB on our board?

If he said we offered him at RB I don't think there'd be a spot for him... Wonder if we moved him to LB on our board?

Good point, or safety at his size. Let him rip up at his current size and work on that already 4.5 speed.

If you are going to take a chance on an undersized LB type, this is the ideal candidate. Those tackle numbers are ridiculous and we're put up against top notch competition.

Why do we always have to have undersized linebackers? Why can't we have big safeties? Does this kid move well enough to play in the secondary?

Why do we always have to have undersized linebackers? Why can't we have big safeties? Does this kid move well enough to play in the secondary?

Our remaining linebackers arent undersized, and Melifonwu/Clarke/Coley coming in into the backfield will be ACC sized as well. Atrilleon Williams already has superior measurables for corner.

Our remaining linebackers arent undersized, and Melifonwu/Clarke/Coley coming in into the backfield will be ACC sized as well. Atrilleon Williams already has superior measurables for corner.
yup we are getting bigger at the LB position but keep in mind we still need to recruit field LB's. The kind that can run in space and cover slot WR's. Most of the time, these LB's are undersized. There more like strong safteies.

yup we are getting bigger at the LB position but keep in mind we still need to recruit field LB's. The kind that can run in space and cover slot WR's. Most of the time, these LB's are undersized. There more like strong safteies.
Yep. Agreed. Got big lb’s now that’d make rb’s piss their pants. Cant get on the field though, with dino, if you cant drop back in coverage and defend the pass.

I share your concern but every newspaper down there says this kid is one of the top 5 players in Southwest Florida sporting 16+ P5 offers from Arizona, Arkansas, Iowa State, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri NC State, USF, Tennessee, Louisville, Pitt, Purdue, UCF, Washington State, Illinois etc.

Land him and let his ability sort out where he plays. Even if he never cracked the LB corp you’d be getting a heck of a depth player and special teamer. These kids imo are what separate us from the top and to me he looks like a typical SEC type OLB. You’re only as good as your bottom half but this kid will be on the field. He's towards the top of the board imo. Hope we land him.

He had 160 tackles in 9 games last season (39 for loss).

4.56 speed and I found that he ran a 25.45 200 meter as a sophomore.

His RB video looks pretty good – so we know he can run.

The Big 15: Fa'Najae Gotay an unleashed beast after move to North Fort Myers

FYI - This is the high school that Jevon Kearse came out of and he was at their playoff game the other night.

597816_1.jpg

Last edited:
All things said id love this commit

I'm not a twitter guy but I took a look at his page and he re-tweeted the Syracuse official visit tweet. On Nov23 tweeted "commitment coming soon", Nov26 in-home picture with a Maryland coach and today' he's retweeting his official visit to Syracuse this weekend.

Last edited:
I share your concern but every newspaper down there says this kid is one of the top 5 players in Southwest Florida sporting 16+ P5 offers from Arizona, Arkansas, Iowa State, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri NC State, USF, Tennessee, Louisville, Pitt, Purdue, UCF, Washington State, Illinois etc.

Land him and let his ability sort out where he plays. Even if he never cracked the LB corp you’d be getting a heck of a depth player and special teamer. These kids imo are what separate us from the top and to me he looks like a typical SEC type OLB. You’re only as good as your bottom half but this kid will be on the field. He's towards the top of the board imo. Hope we land him.

He had 160 tackles in 9 games last season (39 for loss).

4.56 speed and I found that he ran a 25.45 200 meter as a sophomore.

His RB video looks pretty good – so we know he can run.

The Big 15: Fa'Najae Gotay an unleashed beast after move to North Fort Myers

FYI - This is the high school that Jevon Kearse came out of and he was at their playoff game the other night.

View attachment 116483

Yeah I mean worst case scenario, you've got an amazing athlete to put on specials and a guy that keeps our 2nd string LBer's OFF specials.

We need quality depth and have for quite some time. People should be extremely excited to see a versatile kid like this with his pedigree as part of the program.

Another point is that this kid also plays RB - so we have a need in this class there as well. Looks to me more like a true "Athlete" recruit than one pegged for any specific position at this point.

Yep. Agreed. Got big lb’s now that’d make rb’s piss their pants. Cant get on the field though, with dino, if you cant drop back in coverage and defend the pass.
Really? Maybe your definition of big LB's is different than mine. Who are you referring to? Keep in mind that our two heaviest (236lbs) LB's (Franklin and Valdez) are done:

Current roster:
Trotter - 200lbs
Fagan - 200lbs
Cullen - 209
Henderson - 215lbs
Richards - 212lbs
Guthrie (LB/DE) - 215lbs
Walton (LB/DE) - 230lbs
Armstrong - 226lbs

Current LB verbals:
Smith - 195lbs
Wallace - 215lbs

None of these players will ever be mistaken for Clifton Smith. Most of them are around the same size as Clemson's safeties. IMO, our LB corp is from from "big".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom