LB Geoff Cantin-Arku: Drafted by CFL Montreal Alouettes | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

LB Geoff Cantin-Arku: Drafted by CFL Montreal Alouettes

A
I think identifying is a big deal as well.

Addazio could see from the raw materials what could be. Marrone was similar. The big programs are looking for a finished product. If you have a good talent evaluator it can close the gap at SU.

For SU to be successful we need to both identify based on potential and develop. There are plenty of kids who play at G5 or FCS schools who make it to the NFL. We need to find these kids vs trying to recruit against Penn State.

Then we likely need older and wiser assistant coaches. Guys who are great at technique and can mold these raw materials. A lot of these other programs want the younger assistants for recruiting purposes. Look at Marrone's old staff. The experience they had helped make the team better. Compare that to our current staff. It is night and day. We need our position coaches to be experts in their field.
ABSOLUTELY. Northeast coaches would joke about how Addazio ran his recruiting Camps. Saying he thinks he's running the freaking NFL combine. He preferred to have kids come to TWO camps, to get a full evaluation. He definitely developed olinemen. He also took twice as long to evaluate.

On average, we USUALLY recruit better than BC. They've just done more with it. Especially with their oline, because the Dazzler was good at that.

The blue chips still aren't going to BC/ Cuse. Cine/Truss to Georgia, Zinter Mich, McGhee Oregon, etc...

I guess the more disturbing part, is Addazio did more, with less. 44-44 vs 29-41.

Of the 14 kids going to BC ranked higher than ours, I count 1 OL, 2 TEs, 4 from Catholic high schools.

Maybe it's the recruiting bump that a coach tends to get early on, and it will level off. I don't know. But I think guys like Schiano, Locksley, and potentially Hafley just may have a better recruiting plan than we do.

It's fine to me if we're forced to go the development route, like Wake (who has 7 top 100 recruits btw). We do seem to be losing more "I want to start now!" type of kids than others, so there are challenges there too.

Syracuse isn't an easy job. Someone will always want it, but you really have to have a plan.

In the past 10 yrs ago, give and take. There was legit info provided that when didn’t happen the poster was ostracized by people with no sources. I would say the inside info that used to be dropped here and there years ago was very solid info and not through 3-4 other parties with personal bias. That’s all gone now for the most part.
I can agree with that. Some info was decent. One particular source was a real problem. Banned by staff. Banned here.

And I'll just throw this at the end. People worry about changing coaches because you lose a recruiting cycle. Well, this would be the one to do it. Not saying we will, or should, just saying.
I agree. One of my biggest concerns (and have mentioned before) is that unless you give Dino an extension (and I don't know how you can do that), next year's class with a lame-duck Dino is worse than this one, and the combo of those 2 classes make the job less appealing to potential Head coaches. If you remember, when Dino came, he stated that he had guys checking the roster before he decided to come here and having a guy like Dungey made it more attractive. Coaches check the rosters before making decisions like these and don't want to be put in a situation to fail.

I give you a lot of credit. You certainly have all of your bases covered when it comes to ALL of the drawbacks, reasons, excuses, or whatever the heck one chooses to use to fit their argument in why Syracuse University football is faced with such monumental stumbling blocks and disadvantages vs. qualities.

Serious question, in your view, how can SU ever become generally successful again when it faces such an overwhelming consistent plethora of dire and persistent hindrances?

Not sure if you're serious or kidding...I used to post here in a much younger day of firing P. Maybe that was probably wrong but boy the wrong people were in charge to make that decision and re-hire.

Yeah, I think 5 wins (meh season) 8 wins ( good season) and the super season (9 plus) wins are doable. I just think we need to develop guys into a system where we're running out upperclassmen, and Dino need to refind his sack a bit that he had when he first got here. Hopefully he did against VT and whatever happened in practice this week.

This season, many coinflip calls blew up on the guy. Happens to everyone but our run was exceptionally lousy. I just take exception to posts that say there's no reason for this, SU isn't trying on that, etc etc...

I think if he was looking at who was in front of him and thought he should play more, he’s going to need help picking his next school.

Of the 14 kids going to BC ranked higher than ours, I count 1 OL, 2 TEs, 4 from Catholic high schools.

Maybe it's the recruiting bump that a coach tends to get early on, and it will level off. I don't know. But I think guys like Schiano, Locksley, and potentially Hafley just may have a better recruiting plan than we do.

It's fine to me if we're forced to go the development route, like Wake (who has 7 top 100 recruits btw). We do seem to be losing more "I want to start now!" type of kids than others, so there are challenges there too.

Syracuse isn't an easy job. Someone will always want it, but you really have to have a plan.
Yepp.

I think Babers 18 recruiting bump was because there was hope/excitement in the program. Couple years ago, everyone was saying BC recruited better than us. Nope. I went through years of grades/ranks, and we were higher. Maybe Hafley changes that.

30 years ago today, I was nearing the end of my freshman year first semester at Syracuse.

The football team was preparing for West Virginia, to get its 9th win (in 11 game seasons with no FCS).

Then they would go on to beat Ohio State in what is now the Outback Bowl.

Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh
those were the days my friend, we'll always have those memories. We are now happy settling for well-played games in losses and hoping for 6 win seasons. The bar has been lowered so much.

I can agree with that. Some info was decent. One particular source was a real problem. Banned by staff. Banned here.
Right and I think the key to that is, banned. Got rid of an issue. Largely other sources have been run off.

I remember beating OSU badly in a Tampa bowl game and the announcers saying OSU isn't on Syracuse's level for talent and athleticism. Yes, it was really said and it was true.
I completely remember those times - it's like an alternate universe now. I remember thinking of Clemson as a lesser program too especially after we curbstomped them in that one bowl game 41-0.

There is a difference between recruiting and developement. Addazio could develop his lower ranked olinemen. THAT, and his system translated better to the Pros(at that time.)
This was not all Addazio. BC has historically out-recruited and out-performed SU at OL for decades. We have had some. They have had more.

It depends. I’ve been under the impression that our team had some culture issues. I’ve viewed the players that have left (most but not all) as attrition, due to rooting this out and establishing accountability. Maybe these players are leaving because Dino is finally holding players more accountable and some haven’t liked that, so they left.

On the other hand, players like Garrett Williams’ father have been openly critical of coaching decisions on Twitter, so maybe the frustration lay elsewhere. I like GWill’s dad, seems like a smart/ level headed guy and his “criticisms” I mentioned are fair.

Ultimately, its probably a multitude of things.
I must have missed those tweets by Garrets' father as I have never seem him tweet any criticism about the coaching staff. The media and some of the idiot fans but not the coaches.

I must have missed those tweets by Garrets' father as I have never seem him tweet any criticism about the coaching staff. The media and some of the idiot fans but not the coaches.

Ah, you are actually correct. I went back to look for the tweets, to confirm and it looks like I have gotten Geo confused with Tre (Trill Williams dad). My bad, too many Williams’ to keep track of!

I had no idea Wake had 7 Top 100s. Down here for the day (airport sucks) but it is amazing what Clawson does at a private, 4,000 undergrad school with a smaller endowment.

We need a Ben Sutton.

Kids flock to a winning team. Simple psychology tells us that everyone loves a winner. I remember back in 1958 thru 1963 when every kid wanted to play for “powerhouse“ ‘CUSE. Sometimes it rained and snowed in old roofless Archbold Stadium and the cement seats were hard. Get a name coach in here with a proven record to jump-start this 20 yr. old train wreck. Yes, it takes money. Duh! It ain’t that difficult. Stop rolling the dice!

Last edited:
I remember beating OSU badly in a Tampa bowl game and the announcers saying OSU isn't on Syracuse's level for talent and athleticism. Yes, it was really said and it was true.
Remember it vividly. I was at the LSU Tampa game a few years before that when we dominated them. At 10 years old I figured we would be great forever. People who aren't life long fans of a certain age don't believe how good we really used to be.

It's crushing at this point.

What I’m talking about though are these guys with four years of eligibility left. Are they just wasting 30 SU credits? That’s crazy to me.
They can transfer them to a new school as long as they earn them. I went to a community college and had to transfer my credits to a four year school which was a big pain, not sure how that process works these days.

They can transfer them to a new school as long as they earn them. I went to a community college and had to transfer my credits to a four year school which was a big pain, not sure how that process works these days.
I went to a community college as well. Even within the SUNY system not all CC credits transfer. I can only imagine how difficult it is when it’s different regional accreditation.

I went to a community college as well. Even within the SUNY system not all CC credits transfer. I can only imagine how difficult it is when it’s different regional accreditation.
I had the same problem as you, also if I remember correctly almost every school I applied to SUNY and non SUNY they required you to do 2 years at their school after transferring. Not sure how that impacts guys who haven't graduated and won't be doing two years at a new school.