LB Geoff Cantin-Arku: Drafted by CFL Montreal Alouettes | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

LB Geoff Cantin-Arku: Drafted by CFL Montreal Alouettes

You realize a good chunk of credits will transfer right?
Not sure how many would transfer. It may depend on the school. Had a buddy whose daughter transferred and the new school would not accept a number of classes.

You realize a good chunk of credits will transfer right?
I find that hard to believe when most, if not all schools will not even tell a student how many credits will transfer until after they are matriculated. Also a good chunk can mean what, half? More than half? That still leaves a lot to be lost.

This makes me more sad than anything.

GCA is playing what 30-40 snaps a game? All specials and plays basically as a starter at linebacker. He’s decent but not transformational or even- based on his play this year- a nfl talent.

He’s a better specials player than a linebacker in my opinion. I guess I just don’t understand what his goal is. Maybe he doesn’t either.

Right but he’s got guys in front of him.

Lets see where he lands. If he slips to FCS or low level FBS it’ll be puzzling.

Transferring really doesn’t seem to work out very often for our guys. GCA could be someone where it does.

Yes, but the upgrade won’t be available to play on Saturday.
Understood. And neither will GCA. That is what it is.

I can definitely see the end of the season being complete anarchy - not necessarily for CUSE, but for college football in general.

In theory with a one time transfer rule we’re going to see the most craziness this year when everyone can utilize it. Next year (
you will have the guys who entered as freshmen this year and then the pool of folks who didn’t transfer the year before. The pool will get smaller and the numbers should level out to more of a steady state over time.

I think the whole industry needs to wait and see how this plays out over two years before we claim it’s destroying the sport.

That’s what this is.
Yup. And for every guy we lose we will have opportunity to gain another for having a players coach. Look at what the Temple kid said on his way out the door?!

These are playing time decisions for kids.

We're a stale program and brand and even though they have invested a lot of money into the program the experience for players here is not the same as it is at state schools.

Also the school is not academically superior to peer programs, which was a selling point 30 years ago.

Truth be told the school would need to drop $100 million on an athletic residence / training / support complex on campus or adjacent to make a splash and be on par with the big time programs.

They don't have the resources, finances, foresight, or space to make it happen.

We are always going to be playing catch up, which is why our recruiting is what it is. And we don't have a strong enough game plan / development staff to overcome the recruiting deficiency.

On the fundraising point raising that kind of coin is exactly what SU is doing.

Our recruiting is challenging mainly because we are in a region bereft of talent.

On the academic thing - I went to school with those guys 30 years ago, they didn't exactly treat the place like the Harvard of Central New York...

Our recruiting is challenging mainly because we are in a region bereft of talent.

On the academic thing - I went to school with those guys 30 years ago, they didn't exactly treat the place like the Harvard of Central New York...
I was an RA for the freshman team in the 70s in Booth. That certainly had its moments.

Right but he’s got guys in front of him.

Lets see where he lands. If he slips to FCS or low level FBS it’ll be puzzling.

Transferring really doesn’t seem to work out very often for our guys. GCA could be someone where it does.

He’s a P5 LB and I’d expect him to end up there but there’s only so much room for these teams to take transfers. If he wants to walk into a starting spotit’s risky unless he takes a step down. He’s probably got Taj telling them how great Kentucky is.

OK, so why aren't players leaving from 5-5 Rutgers, Florida, Vanderbilt, etc.?

There are far worse struggling Power 5 teams and they aren't leading the NCAA in mid-season departures.
No idea. Perhaps the fact that we have such a young roster may have something to do with it. Young guys don’t want to sit behind other young guys. They are more willing to accept sitting behind a Junior or senior when they can see a pathway to the field down the road. But if you’re sitting behind a soph or a Frosh it may not sit as well when your only path is if one of them gets injured.

I don’t know. Just speculating.

Last edited:
say what you want but on October 4th i posted i heard it was gonna happen, and its happened several times now, give it another week or so see if it happens again.
Credit to you. Good intel should be appreciated not ripped.

30 years ago today, I was nearing the end of my freshman year first semester at Syracuse.

The football team was preparing for West Virginia, to get its 9th win (in 11 game seasons with no FCS).

Then they would go on to beat Ohio State in what is now the Outback Bowl.

Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh

not sure if this has been brought up but it's possible on the defensive side that players don't see a great fit in Tony White's system and didn't leave last year given COVID and might have felt limited in their ability to visit other schools and such in the dead of winter and now that vaccines have been rolled out they feel more comfortable and that's why they're leaving

or the sky is falling

i haven't a clue

Mora at UConn is gonna grab like twenty kids from portal

Schiano last year grabbed 13, probably will grab another ten this year

MSU grabbed a ton last year too
My fear is we will only grab 2-3 and again fail miserably to use the easiest tool to improve your team.
I was very discouraged to hear Dino say how hard it is to get players from portal. He needs to change his thinking on that ASAP

The best part about people with “intel” is that when the thing happens they say “See? I told you so.” When it doesn’t happen, they say “I told you it might not happen.”
Ok, well I have been on this board for many years now, I have met several people in person on it at tailgates, I have never claimed anything like this to anybody, in fact I could prove what I say within 2 minutes with social media, but it really isn't all that serious. I knew there was going to be an exodus of players, I also said possibly before because I am not an 18 year old kid and I do not know their families so, I cant 1000 percent guarantee them leaving was going to happen.

Lost over 10% of our scholarship players since August, not ideal. None were a huge loss outside of Taj and GCA. Oddly, Morris was actually the #1 ranked available TE in the portal per an article on espn yesterday. The huge issue to me is the cumulative effect of losing out on this many bodies and some guys that were expected to gain experience and be ready to step up or be quality depth in a year or 2. Keeping that pipeline full and ready is vital to program stability. Now we have to rely on the staff to replace them with guys from outside of the program who likely have some kind of warts and 0 experience in our system.