Class of 2015 - LB Ricky DeBerry - Grad Transfer from Oklahoma | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 LB Ricky DeBerry - Grad Transfer from Oklahoma

mlbball99

2nd String
Interesting name to keep an eye on. LB Ricky DeBerry. Transferring out of Okalahoma. Former 4 star recruit. Close with Abdul Adams. From Virginia area...

Ricky DeBerry, Oklahoma, Outside Linebacker

DeBerry, a redshirt sophomore, moved from outside to inside linebacker prior to the 2017 season, but he made an even bigger switch in-season by moving to the offense as an H-back.

The former four-star linebacker from Mechanicsville, Va. didn't play in any games during the 2017 season. He also missed fall camp with health issues, coach Lincoln Riley said in October.

In 2016, DeBerry saw action in six contests and made one start.

He has five career tackles and one fumble recovery.

Interesting.

A four-star recruit, but only 5 career tackles [not shooting messenger, just seems odd]?

Interesting.

A four-star recruit, but only 5 career tackles [not shooting messenger, just seems odd]?
"DeBerry redshirted his first season on campus, then played in six games with one start as a linebacker in 2016. The coaching staff moved him to H-back this season, but he did not get playing time."

I don't know this well, but if someone is a redshirt, and they transfer -- still have to sit out a year? Or can he be eligible immediately.

I don't know this well, but if someone is a redshirt, and they transfer -- still have to sit out a year? Or can he be eligible immediately.

All transfers have to sit out a year, unless they qualify under one of the following two exemptions:
  • Players who have graduated are free to transfer and be eligible immediately, if they are transferring to a school that does not have the graduate major that the new school does [generally referred to as the fifth year transfer rule]
  • Players who are released due to a family emergency of some kind can transfer without having to sit out

If he has been hurt, he gets a year to rehab, learn the system, get stronger, learn the position better. Good deal for him...a new start and we get a potential player.

no thanks

Yeah I'd pass too. Top 150 recruit redshirting his first year then getting position switched from his natural position to the classic "we don't know where to put him" H Back position...doesn't sound promising.

Depth at the very least. If we have room and he has interest. What does it hurt? But don’t pass on a better HS recruit for him.

Only been confirmed in the last hour or so. Just doing my niche work. :)

Correction: An earlier version of this story incorrectly stated that DeBerry would have to sit out the 2018 season due to NCAA transfer rules. As a graduate transfer, he is expected to be eligible to play right away.

So I'm not completely losing it. :)

so he graduated in 3 years, with one of those years being a redshirt? So he's the rare grad transfer with 2 years to play 2 starting immediately, which is much more valuable. I'd take him in a heartbeat.

You absolutely take this kid.
Sure he got put in the "H-back" role but 4-5 star kids get buried quickly on top tier teams.
At worst he comes in and fills the role of a Valdez or after being healthy and given a chance he shows his true potential.

Would he be 2 to play 2? Redshirt, Redshirt-Fresh, Redshirt-Soph for his 3 years to graduate at OU. For some silly reason I thought grad transfers only got 1 year to play.

Would he be 2 to play 2? Redshirt, Redshirt-Fresh, Redshirt-Soph for his 3 years to graduate at OU. For some silly reason I thought grad transfers only got 1 year to play.

Generally the case but if they redshirt and then graduate in 3 years then they qualify for the grad transfer exception and still maintain 2 years of eligibility.

You always get 5 to play 4.