LB thoughts | Syracusefan.com

LB thoughts

GoSU96

Living Legend
As shocking as this might be, the starting LB's might just be Vaughan, Diabate, and Lynch. Shafer is making Spruill and Davis to step up the mental side of their games to earn starting spots. My guess (hope?) would be that Spruill overtakes Vaughan, but you never know. Regardless I think all five play.

Unbelievable that the kid growing up playing scoccer in Africa is lined up to be the vocal leader of this defense. If he were to go down, I don't think Coker would necessarially be the first option.

We actually have a legit 2 deep at LB (as well as other positions) for the first time in what feels like forever. Its nice to know that if a guy gets dinged or needs a breather it shouldn't lead to catastrophic results.

As shocking as this might be, the starting LB's might just be Vaughan, Diabate, and Lynch. Shafer is making Spruill and Davis to step up the mental side of their games to earn starting spots. My guess (hope?) would be that Spruill overtakes Vaughan, but you never know. Regardless I think all five play.

Unbelievable that the kid growing up playing scoccer in Africa is lined up to be the vocal leader of this defense. If he were to go down, I don't think Coker would necessarially be the first option.
Let's call Vaughn, Diabate, Lynch, Spruill, Coker and Davis the big 6...barring something crazy happening, these are the guys that are going to play linebacker this season.

If you go by measurables like 40 time, strength, speed and size, Vaughn, Diabate and Lynch do not start. It is the other 3. If you go by ability to follow assignments consistently and buy into the Shafer system, I think you see the 3 guys that worked with the North unit play.

If Spruill, Coker and Davis can stop free lancing and just do what they are supposed to do, they can break into the starting lineup.

I think it ultimately comes down to that. Shafer has had it with people being out of position and is not going to tolerate it anymore.

Unbelievable that the kid growing up playing scoccer in Africa is lined up to be the vocal leader of this defense.

It wouldn't be that difficult to transition from one football to another, especially when playing a position that doesn't require catching the ball.

spruill will not be on the sideline. He is the most physical looking LB, has the most experience, 2nd team all big east. Hopefully this competition thing helps him get fired up and in tune with the scheme. I personally think it has nothing to do with his discipline or ability. I think the coaching staff have an issue with his leadership IMO

From what I have read it seems that Shaffer is taking the Coach Mac approach - the three best LBs play - the starting assignments are not made on a position by position basis within the LB group. The three best will start and play.

From what I have read it seems that Shaffer is taking the Coach Mac approach - the three best LBs play - the starting assignments are not made on a position by position basis within the LB group. The three best will start and play.
I like this approach. Can't afford to start off wildly inconsistent with some dazzling LB plays and some "swiss cheese" defense on others. Northwestern is an absolute must win. Play the best, most consistent performers.

How do you go from starting since you were a true frosh and earning 2nd Team All-BE to coming off the bench?

Spruill is an NFL player. I will be stunned if he isn't in the starting lineup on 9/1.

How do you go from starting since you were a true frosh and earning 2nd Team All-BE to coming off the bench?

Spruill is an NFL player. I will be stunned if he isn't in the starting lineup on 9/1.

Yes, it seems hard to believe that he will not be there when the season starts.

Yes, it seems hard to believe that he will not be there when the season starts.
Where...at SAM of MLB? It sounds like Diabate has been solid at the MLB.

Maybe Shafer is taking JB's recent guard approach to Linebacking? After all, the LB are the point guards of the defense, no?

If Spruill has the ability to play 2 or 3 of the LB positions it would make the rotations more versatile. Make Spruill first guy off the bench for the first sign of weakness. If any of the starting LB's show fatigue or liability Spruill can jump in and take over. This would force the starters to leave everything out on the field knowing that if they get lazy or make a mistake they'll be drinking Gatorade the next play.

Brilliant!

Funny, someone on here told me I was going to "suck farts" when Dom Anene started this year... :rolleyes:

Honestly, I see a LB starting core of Spruill, Diabate, and Lynch. That would be a core of phenominal smarts, talent, and speed.

spruill will not be on the sideline. He is the most physical looking LB, has the most experience, 2nd team all big east. Hopefully this competition thing helps him get fired up and in tune with the scheme. I personally think it has nothing to do with his discipline or ability. I think the coaching staff have an issue his leadership IMO

Don't disagree with any of that. That's why I believe he's not in the middle.

Funny, someone on here told me I was going to "suck farts" when Dom Anene started this year... :rolleyes:

Honestly, I see a LB starting core of Spruill, Diabate, and Lynch. That would be a core of phenominal smarts, talent, and speed.

Agree that is what we will probably see.

Let's call Vaughn, Diabate, Lynch, Spruill, Coker and Davis the big 6...barring something crazy happening, these are the guys that are going to play linebacker this season.

If you go by measurables like 40 time, strength, speed and size, Vaughn, Diabate and Lynch do not start. It is the other 3. If you go by ability to follow assignments consistently and buy into the Shafer system, I think you see the 3 guys that worked with the North unit play.

If Spruill, Coker and Davis can stop free lancing and just do what they are supposed to do, they can break into the starting lineup.

I think it ultimately comes down to that. Shafer has had it with people being out of position and is not going to tolerate it anymore.

Makes sense to me. LBs being in position and playing the system is crucial in Shafer's defense as it probably is in most. I just recall how great the defense looked when a couple of guys named Hogue and Smith had a year under their belts and were totally bought in. Maybe those two had more freedom that Shafer has given Spruill, I don' t know, but Spruill has the experience at this point to figure out what needs to be done.

As for Siriki Diabate, guys like him always catch my eye. Any kid who changes continents and picks up a sport late and makes it to the D1 level probably has something driving him that makes him hard to top in head to head competition. In Siriki's case he is a bit small but every bit of his frame looks like raw athleticism. Combine that with his drive and his ability to learn quickly, and in my opinion he has had a great chance to become a starter all along.

Sounds like Marrone/Shafer want to make sure he sticks to a NFL team. The pros want smart guys.

I think it is all about the injury and you guys are reading too much into it. They have just started the hitting so given time you would expect Spruil s talent to win the position back. I thought during the spring when this all happened Marrone said those that did not play in spring would not be listed as starters and would need to compete for their positions...be patient my friends I believe the top 3 will be starting and all will play alot of snaps

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom