Leading Candidate to replace Steve Donahue at BC after the year is Bruce Pearl | Syracusefan.com

Leading Candidate to replace Steve Donahue at BC after the year is Bruce Pearl

Alsacs

Living Legend
Yuck hire if BC hires that guy. I realize Pearl is a BC alum, but I wouldn't touch that guy after the Aaron Craft stunt while at Tennessee. Donahue is pretty much toast after 3 years of doing nothing at BC and actually turning this year's team which should have been a bubble team with its talent into a 7 win terrible team. With BC being one of our permanent rivals I would hope they get a better coach than Pearl.

That dude is shady. Bet he'd make BC pretty good. I don't love it.

Pearl's show cause expires this August. Not sure you fire a guy in March and wait until August to hire his replacement.

This just shows you where the BC program is right now.

Pearl's show cause expires this August. Not sure you fire a guy in March and wait until August to hire his replacement.
There are probably ways around this. Make it known (or don't deny) that Pearl is the choice.

Don't be surprised if BC talks with Hop. Seriously.

I don't doubt BC would want to talk with Hop. However, I doubt Hop would want to take a job in the ACC and have to play SU x2 and prove himself. BC has talent on their team now, but the job is still a rebuild. USC made sense because its a BCS job and is in California where MH was from and he could attract LA talent to stay home while BC is still fighting its post-Al Skinner decline. If I was BC I would go after Providence's Ed Cooley give him a raise and go back to Al Skinner's protegee. Cooley is mad at the PC administration for losing some of his recruits and I think BC could get him if they payed him. I wouldn't touch Pearl if I were BC though he is too slimmy.

Frozen said:

They can hire him before that, it's just the sanctions still hold true until August. Pretty much meaning he cannot contact recruits until then.

Exactly. BC is in this position because of recruiting so why hire a guy who can't recruit all summer. They would fall further back and Pearl isn't good enough to pull them up. His lying to the NCAA might be too much for BC to overlook (yes I know the irony).

I have heard from BC folks that Hopkins is on their list, but I can't see him taking an ACC job like Alsacs said.

Will the priests who run BC ask Pearl about the house he owned in Knoxville that his wife didn't know about?

I think Mike Hopkins has to be on pretty much everyone's list.
But does that really mean much?
It's a list.

If BC wants to become instant contenders they'd find a way to bring 73-year-old Larry Brown back to civilization for (presumably) his last coaching gig.

Yeah what an idiotic move that was. Same goes for Norm Roberts at St Johns and Orr at Seton Hall.

These schools seem to view their programs as something they are not. What are they looking for the coaches to do with the talent they are getting? I mean reasonable expectations would say you do well with the talent level you can attract and then slowly upgrade the level of talent overtime. I just don't get what the athletic directors and the athletic programs think these coaches can accomplish in a short period of time at some of these schools.

Living in Knoxville, this would be hilarious for me. A bunch of Tennessee fans want him back in the worst way. They think he's their savior.

It was DiFilippo's ego that ruined BC hoops (and football). He didn't like that Skinner played lunchtime hoops instead of raising money and he got all bent out of shape with Jagz interviewing, so he went and brought in Donahue and promoted Spaz. Best thing for BC was him leaving before he could do even more damage.

Missing out on Tobias Harris is one of those what-if's that no one really talks about. Remember how reliant that 10-11 team was on Rick? Another interior scorer like Harris would have loosened things up tremendously. That team earned a 3 seed but could have been pretty nasty with a frontline of The Ruler-Kris Joseph-Harris.

Missing out on Tobias Harris is one of those what-if's that no one really talks about. Remember how reliant that 10-11 team was on Rick? Another interior scorer like Harris would have loosened things up tremendously. That team earned a 3 seed but could have been pretty nasty with a frontline of The Ruler-Kris Joseph-Harris.
I always thought Harris made us a final four team. We had a post guy and adequate outside shooting. Harris would've given us the midrange guy we were missing.

I can't see hop taking it, it is a bad job, lack of support, bad facilities, in a pro sports town, where no one cares about Bc.