Learn to flop | Syracusefan.com

Learn to flop

It wouldn't even be a flop. It's genuinely hard contact.

Forget the flopping, get some refs who know how to call a game. Sheesh.

If JB can teach K how to zone, can't K teach Rakeem how to flop?

I said the same exact thing to my kid while we were watching the game. That Meeks kid nearly ran Rak over a couple times tonight and I guarantee guys like Fab the loser and BMK would have flopped and gotten the call.

I love that Rak doesn't flop. He doesn't need to take part in that nonsense. The only thing that is hurting his defense is not having any room to get in foul trouble due to the lack of a back-up center.

I love he stands his ground too and hate the officials look for the player falling vs the shoulder being lowered into the defender. Ref the game the right way or you have zero reason to complain of players trying to flop or put on an acting job.

I love he stands his ground too and hate the officials look for the player falling vs the shoulder being lowered into the defender. Ref the game the right way or you have zero reason to complain of players trying to flop or put on an acting job.

And this of course is exactly right. Flopping is actually terrible defense because when you do flop and the ref ignores it, of course you've left a man with the ball with no defense between him and the basket. I couldn't believe after all that ridiculous body contact they allowed all night, they call Roberson for the over the back where he literally didn't touch the guy. I don't care how the refs call a game normally, I just expect them to be consistent for both teams and throughout the game.

No moral victories. However I'm damn proud of the effort put forth by the Orange. Saw the true definition of a "touch foul" tonight. If Rak were to have gotten the same calls that Meeks received, he would have scored 35 points. Them same calls caused Rak to play a softer defense as well. Resulting in easy paint points for UNC. Roberson fouling out without even touching an opposing player may have been the most obvious mistake by the refs, but there were many other calls made that were just as bad and more costly.

It's true. There was twice in a two minute span where Meeks committed very blatant offensive fouls. No call on each.

If basketball were about bulldozing your man, well, the game would be far worse off for it. You have to call that.

And this of course is exactly right. Flopping is actually terrible defense because when you do flop and the ref ignores it, of course you've left a man with the ball with no defense between him and the basket. I couldn't believe after all that ridiculous body contact they allowed all night, they call Roberson for the over the back where he literally didn't touch the guy. I don't care how the refs call a game normally, I just expect them to be consistent for both teams and throughout the game.

Absolutely incorrect. YOU HAVE TO FLOP! It's the only way you'll get the call and he could have had 4 of them. NC big guys shouldered Rak all night to get room when they had it down low. They were all charges but you can't blame the ref if the defender doesn't take the charge.

No moral victories. However I'm damn proud of the effort put forth by the Orange. Saw the true definition of a "touch foul" tonight. If Rak were to have gotten the same calls that Meeks received, he would have scored 35 points. Them same calls caused Rak to play a softer defense as well. Resulting in easy paint points for UNC. Roberson fouling out without even touching an opposing player may have been the most obvious mistake by the refs, but there were many other calls made that were just as bad and more costly.

Maybe. Actually to defend the refs a bit, I hit the old rewind on the DVR a few times because I thought Rak was being unfairly rung up, but upon further review, at least two of his calls were definitely warranted. An arm bar to the back followed by a strong use of the body on one occasion for sure. He knows he has to play straight up and down because he's got NO HELP behind him. Silent G can't rebound with bodies that big.

Problem is that if you play exactly the same position D and flop you get the call, stand your ground and play tough and no call. OP was completely facetious but it's frustrating to watch. Why should you have to fall on your ass to get the benefit of playing solid D?

Last edited:
Problem is that if you play exactly the same position D and flop you get the call, stand your ground and play tough and no call. OP was completely facetious but it's frustrating to watch. Why should you have to fall on your ads to get the benefit of playing solid D?

No question. The refs have to blow the whistle when a guy like Meeks lowers his shoulder and moves Rak. Because moving Rak is a very hard thing to do and that clearly indicates the other player has gained an advantage.

no backup plan means rax is playing hands up matador paso doble D much of the second half. we all know that can't end well.

Hate to say it but,

I didn't think Meeks charged at all, he used slower roll of the body moves when he put his body into rak not full speed body clearouts. Where was the double on those. The guy is just more physical then rak, and nobody else could help rak in those situations tonight.

And Many times Rak was 3-4 feet away when meeks or whoever caught the ball in the paint in the second half. I could probably count 6-7 buckets in the second half where that happened. Just my two cents.

However meeks had his hands low all over rak especially in the second half, its ok to body but the handchecking and reach ins he was getting away with should have been whistled.

I just wanted the game called the same way on both ends and it clearly wasn't. As good as Rak was tonight the idea that he wasn't getting the calls can only be explained by this is the ACC and we are not named Duke or UNC.

The only problem with flopping is if they call it on you. We can't afford giving away fouls.

Great call. Was thinking the same thing while watching this game. Some teams and players obviously take it to an extreme but there's nothing wrong with "flopping" after drawing hard contact while in a legal or borderline guarding position. It sells the call and also better on your body. Say what you will about Fab but he was a great at this. This team rarely takes charges and it's not due to some conspiracy against Rak or the team.

Hate to say it but,

I didn't think Meeks charged at all, he used slower roll of the body moves when he put his body into rak not full speed body clearouts. Where was the double on those. The guy is just more physical then rak, and nobody else could help rak in those situations tonight.

And Many times Rak was 3-4 feet away when meeks or whoever caught the ball in the paint in the second half. I could probably count 6-7 buckets in the second half where that happened. Just my two cents.

However meeks had his hands low all over rak especially in the second half, its ok to body but the handchecking and reach ins he was getting away with should have been whistled.

I guess I only had issue with three calls from memory. Two came very close together in the second half. Meeks got the ball in the lane, Rak was holding his ground, and he lowered his shoulder, dribbled in and just went straight into Rak. If that's a guard he goes down and that foul is called every single time - but because Rak could take the hit it wasn't called.

He wasn't even backing in - just throwing his body into the defender. It wasn't a give/take in the post, it was bulldozing the defender. That's a foul. It just is. It's probably more effective than the armbar Patterson got called for. You also create the space where if the defender tries to recover the space he already occupied, he gets called for the foul as Meeks throws himself forward on the lay up (a foule they called on Rak multiple times). You have to allow the defender his spot on the floor.

If that's not a foul essentially you're playing fatter-kid wins basketball. That's no fun for anyone.

Hate to say it but,

I agree with the part about Meeks generally using good, legal power moves down low to create space against Rak. Don't think these were offensive fouls generally, except for maybe one call in the second half that seemed more blatant. Hopefully Ugly Sweater was playing close attention.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom