Learning how to win | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Learning how to win

nc state is going to finish 2nd in the atlantic division

I thought we were finishing 2nd? UL/Clem beat NC st, we beat UL/Clem, Clem beats NC st and UL.. :)

hope so but gotta be realistic winning 1 of louisville or clemson would be good

That phrase can be overused by sports fans, but I believe this team really needs to understand the complete effort needed to put W's on the board.

This team has the talent needed to get to a bowl game. If we were on the other side of the ACC I'd feel comfortable stating that we would go bowling. That being said, we do not have that luxury. This team reminds me of Marrone's last team that finished he season on a terror.

Over the course of the season the learned how to finish games. The younger guys start to realize that details matter - little things like running routes the proper depth, attacking blockers on the proper shoulder, etc.

Those details are the difference between finishing drives or stopping drives. I really saw a lightbulb go off with this team the second half of the NC St game. Defenders didn't over pursuit, WR's sitting down in the zone properly, etc.

As I wrote earlier in the season, I am going to judge this team by the last 4-5 games of the season. I think we knock someone off that isn't expecting it. We are this stinking close.

I am very impressed with what the defensive staff has been able to do. I have little worries about the offense, especially with the bigger, faster players we are bringing in.

Love your post, but , this team wont have the luxury of going on a late schedule run, given the schedule. We will have to knock off Miami. Looking ahead: Pitt, Wake, BC, and yup a tough Miami team on the road. The mtsu loss was devastating and that wasn't a team learning to win but rather a team playing scared with their old coach mindfing them. Mtsu has proven to not be even a good team.

Love your post, but , this team wont have the luxury of going on a late schedule run, given the schedule. We will have to knock off Miami. Looking ahead: Pitt, Wake, BC, and yup a tough Miami team on the road. The mtsu loss was devastating and that wasn't a team learning to win but rather a team playing scared with their old coach mindfing them. Mtsu has proven to not be even a good team.

They lost their QB, who was pretty strong.

They lost their QB, who was pretty strong.

We all make that mistake by judging a team just on its W-L record and not knowing that things change and sometimes drastically when a star player goes down and there is a huge gap in talent behind them. In college football there are so many things that can change and even playing a freshman that is talented but the game was too fast that has it slow done can help a team get better as the season progresses and it changes the team from games 1-4 to games 8-12 for the better or if an injury like what happened to the Middle Tennessee qb the worse. 2 different teams even though it's the same team.

I bet wake and BC look at us as winnable games as well . One game at a time

That is very true. We're the winnable game on schedules until proven otherwise. Need a win this weekend in a big way.

I bet wake and BC look at us as winnable games as well . One game at a time

*most* winnable ... BC is looking up at everyone. Wake will get exposed the next few weeks, but are way better than BC.

It's tough saying patience after so many years, but this team, and even more so, this program feels different this time. I think people won't realize until the end of the year just how good that NCST team was. Same with LSU. Sure they are going to have a down year, but they are still looked with elite talent. I know i'm sucking it up and just watching each week for the signs of improvement we have been seeing. People can look at the negatives, and point out a few questionable in-game calls, but the tide is turning. You can feel it. I do think it's as much as learning how to win. Being consistent 100% of the time is better than being great 75% of the time. It really seemed what Dino has been preaching finally clicked. I know after I saw his short, but sweet, out of half interview, we were going to see a different team. We may have been in too big of a hole, on the road against a very good team, but it could have set the course for a strong close to the season.

I absolutely loved that halftime speech. The kids came out and played hard and nearly pulled it off. Sucks to lose, but felt good to watch them comeback and compete like that. Just need to put 4...or heck, 3 decent quarters together and we win some of these games that we're "not supposed to win."

I agree but for 42 minutes they shut down Clemson

Agreed. Not taking anything away from that performance - but every year they give either Clemson or FSU trouble by slowing the tempo, old school meathead ball.

We saw similar results here under Shafer.

I think the problem with it is you have to play perfect because you run less plays and have fewer possessions. So, you might hold a team down for a game or two - but you have zero margin for error.

Our style allows us some leeway and gives us multiple chances to make things interesting.

I absolutely loved that halftime speech. The kids came out and played hard and nearly pulled it off. Sucks to lose, but felt good to watch them comeback and compete like that. Just need to put 4...or heck, 3 decent quarters together and we win some of these games that we're "not supposed to win."

Yea great, we didn't give up but where was the speech pre kickoff where we could have taken advantage of an NCST team that was sleepwalking on O the first few possessions?

So that's what you're going with?

Yea, the start of the game and the mindset and scheme of the team at that point is kinda a big deal. So yea, i will take a CHANCE , and go with that.

Yea great, we didn't give up but where was the speech pre kickoff where we could have taken advantage of an NCST team that was sleepwalking on O the first few possessions?

Not giving up shows the true character of the team.

Your response sums up yours.

NC State scored on 5 of their 6 1st half drives. A speech stops at least 2 of those 3!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom