Lemon's inability to outrun the secondary | Syracusefan.com

Lemon's inability to outrun the secondary

PhatOrange

Living Legend
this is not meant to rail on Lemon (just an overall team observation) but him not being able to outrun the secondary on that one play should be a clear sign of the lack of team speed from our WR corp. [And last weekend Sales caught two balls that Tavon Austin or Stedman Bailey or Brandon Coleman may have taken the distance.]

Lots of talk about needing home run running backs but we dont have a WR that can out run anybody either. Probably the biggest reason opponents are able to cover us like a blanket.

The speed at the skill positions needs to dramatically improve if this team is to take the next step.

The addition of Funderburk next year will be a nice shot in the arm but we need more playmakers that are a threat to take it to the house anytime they touch the ball.

The fact people refer to Prince Tyson-Gulley as a playmaker says all we need to know about this offense. Our best playmaker, never plays...good stuff (Broyld).

Our best playmaker, never plays...good stuff (Broyld).

This post is not meant to single you out. Let me start that way.

But I don't understand why people think Broyld would be a threat to take the ball to the house every time he touches the ball. I've seen him play in spring, summer, and fall. I've never been that impressed.

CuseRegular and I were talking about this last night. Broyld has the wiggle, the shiftiness to make things happen. But he's also incredibly, incredibly raw. He's not out there making plays because he's not ready to make them.

The coaching staff said he's our best athlete on offense. That doesn't mean he's the best play maker. Yet.

Are you referring to the yards leader?

And sometimes receivers need explosive speed off the line more, don't you think?

this is not meant to rail on Lemon (just an overall team observation) but him not being able to outrun the secondary on that one play should be a clear sign of the lack of team speed from our WR corp.

Lemon would have scored if the UCONN tackler didn't horse collar him.

He knew he was going to be tracked down - you could tell by his body language. Kid did have a great game. Surprised there wasn't a horse collar called on the play.

this is not meant to rail on Lemon (just an overall team observation) but him not being able to outrun the secondary on that one play should be a clear sign of the lack of team speed from our WR corp. [And last weekend Sales caught two balls that Tavon Austin or Stedman Bailey or Brandon Coleman may have taken the distance.]

Lots of talk about needing home run running backs but we dont have a WR that can out run anybody either. Probably the biggest reason opponents are able to cover us like a blanket.

The speed at the skill positions needs to dramatically improve if this team is to take the next step.

The addition of Funderburk next year will be a nice shot in the arm but we need more playmakers that are a threat to take it to the house anytime they touch the ball.
the secondary guys are D1 as well

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

This post is not meant to single you out. Let me start that way.

But I don't understand why people think Broyld would be a threat to take the ball to the house every time he touches the ball. I've seen him play in spring, summer, and fall. I've never been that impressed.

CuseRegular and I were talking about this last night. Broyld has the wiggle, the shiftiness to make things happen. But he's also incredibly, incredibly raw. He's not out there making plays because he's not ready to make them.

The coaching staff said he's our best athlete on offense. That doesn't mean he's the best play maker. Yet.
Shiftiness/wiggle can be the difference between a 3 yd gain and a 15 yd gain. Im just saying I would love to see Smith/Broyld as our RB rotation from here on out.

Hale was a big time track athlete in George so I wonder if he has some speed - just don't know what his size or skill level will be to make a difference if he even plays next year. He has some height though but does anyone know if he has added any muscle or size?

I thought against Rutgers Sales was literally slower than watching Nassib run with the ball. Chandler Jones running with that interception last year might have been faster.

I thought the tackler had an angle on him.
This is exactly right, the safety from UConn had an angle on Lemon that the play didn't show until they showed the replay from the endzone camera. While I wish Lemon had a little more speed he wasn't caught from behind he tried to run away from the safety angle and came close if he had a little more speed maybe he could have outrun the angle, but its not like he was caught from behind like DC3 in the 4th quarter run during the Pinstripe Bowl by the K-State CB.

Shiftiness/wiggle can be the difference between a 3 yd gain and a 15 yd gain. Im just saying I would love to see Smith/Broyld as our RB rotation from here on out.

That combo gives the D two guys to key on when they are in there together. Plus Broyld appeared to do a good job as lead blocker.

This is exactly right, the safety from UConn had an angle on Lemon that the play didn't show until they showed the replay from the endzone camera. While I wish Lemon had a little more speed he wasn't caught from behind he tried to run away from the safety angle and came close if he had a little more speed maybe he could have outrun the angle, but its not like he was caught from behind like DC3 in the 4th quarter run during the Pinstripe Bowl by the K-State CB.
Eh, Lemon straightened out. Had he kept angling to the pylon I think he makes it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

He knew he was going to be tracked down - you could tell by his body language. Kid did have a great game. Surprised there wasn't a horse collar called on the play.

Maybe next year, ain't happening this year with these refs. I thought he had a td too when he dove for the goal line but they marked it at the 2...did Lemon step out because I didn't see it?

The fact people refer to Prince Tyson-Gulley as a playmaker says all we need to know about this offense. Our best playmaker, never plays...good stuff (Broyld).

Did you know Lemon is faster than Broyld?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Maybe next year, ain't happening this year with these refs. I thought he had a td too when he dove for the goal line but they marked it at the 2...did Lemon step out because I didn't see it?

Yeah he stepped out at the 4 actually

This is kind of silly. CBs are fast athletes. When a fast athlete has an angle on another fast athlete, he is going to catch him. Now, I'm not saying Lemon is a speedster, but it's not like he got run down by a LB or DL.

Does anyone remember Steven Gregory? He was the fastest guy on the field every week when he played here and he was a CB.

Lemon actually showed a bit more speed than I thought he had. He worked the angle and almost got by the safety. He also took a short pass vs USF last year, cut and was gone for a TD. End game, he's fast enough to not get tracked down but not quite fast enough to just run by guys and make them look like theyre in quick sand. Regardless, he's our most complete WR and it's been great having him at SU for 4 years. If he can stay healthy his best may still be ahead of him.

Kobena coming back will add speed again this year and next, Clark eating some cheeseburgers will help next year, and Funderburk can move as well.

last week lemon couldn't catch the ball,this week he finishes his receptions in a wheelchair...oh my

lemon also made a great cutback to gain an extra 40 on that play:noidea:

This was the best the offense has ever looked in a game where lemon has a big day. He had smaller roles in the other big offense games. I'm happy for him.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom