Backup QB Discussion | Syracusefan.com

Backup QB Discussion

IthacaMatt

Old Timer / Unofficial Contributor for 25+ years
I still think fro next year we will need 1 additional starting CB and maybe 1 dlinemen and 2 oline guys to truly become a great team. To play this defense against stud tesms we ned corners whpcan play man excessively well and dline guys to stuff run with 4-2. Not needing help from safety does help defense.

Like they said in that old documentary about the Steelers, "They were a few bricks shy of a load."

I feel like we are pretty close to being a legitimately good team next year. But I agree, we need about 4 or 5 more really quality guys - a couple on the O Line, another DT, a CB and another WR.

Like they said in that old documentary about the Steelers, "They were a few bricks shy of a load."

I feel like we are pretty close to being a legitimately good team next year. But I agree, we need about 4 or 5 more really quality guys - a couple on the O Line, another DT, a CB and another WR.
QB2

QB2

Yep, good point. I like the kid we have coming in next year from Texas, but we need someone who has played college football before, at a good level as more than a mop-up guy, to be able to step in, if Mr. Ohio State gets hurt.

Yep, good point. I like the kid we have coming in next year from Texas, but we need someone who has played college football before, at a good level as more than a mop-up guy, to be able to step in, if Mr. Ohio State gets hurt.
If McCord gets hurt the season is over. See Florida State, 2023.

QB2 doesn't matter.

the fact that last 1 2 3 got hurt and we had a broken oline and still found a way to get a few wins,,
If your goal is aligned with our team (ACC Championship), then if QB2 plays, the season is over. That's all I'm saying.

If the goal is 8-4 and a bowl game, then sure, QB2 is important.

I hope Mr. AJ Long being a transfer is the one to take care of QB2. I just don't have the trust (none) in Wilson or Davis after watching them last year. I have a little hope for Jakarta Williams but he is still raw. I just hope our O-line has improved enough to cover McCord's blind side. Go Orange

Last edited:
I hope Mr. AJ Long being a transfer is the one to take care of QB2. I just don't have the trust in Wilson or Davis after watching them last year. I have a little hope for Jakarta Williams but he is still raw. I just hope our O-line has improved enough to cover McCord's blind side. Go Orange
I dont have any confidence in those two but Im not sure who they can bring in.

I agree except at WR. I think we are set there.

I'm glad that's not the staff's mindset.

Well, your point was we don't need another QB if our goal is a championship.

With all due respect, that's a dumb take. There is tremendous value in making sure we win 8 games this year. The possibility of winning 8 games is a much easier bet than winning a conference championship.

It might happen, but the odds are longer, and we could turn to garbage without a viable backup QB. Saying "bet all or nothing" in year one of the new program is a really bad idea.

With all due respect, that's a dumb take. There is tremendous value in making sure we win 8 games this year. The possibility of winning 8 games is a much easier bet than winning a conference championship.

It might happen, but the odds are longer, and we could turn to garbage without a viable backup QB. Saying "bet all or nothing" in year one of the new program is a really bad idea.
He didnt say all or nothing. He is saying he doesnt have faith in the 2 back up QB's. I dont either based on what I saw last year.

His exact words:
If McCord gets hurt the season is over. See Florida State, 2023.

QB2 doesn't matter.
Did you read his other post where he gave more context?

It was a hairline fracture from last season. He’ll only be out 4 weeks.

From last season? Then why was he in spring practice?
This was announced at the same time as Oronde Gadsden having the pin removed from his foot.

Clemson QB2s were HS QB#1 recruits
That's true. But they were still QB2 on the roster. And there have been other QB2's that have stepped in for teams. Good recruiters can find a solid back up QB.

If your goal is aligned with our team (ACC Championship), then if QB2 plays, the season is over. That's all I'm saying.

If the goal is 8-4 and a bowl game, then sure, QB2 is important.
I think, given our recent history, if our goal is an ACC championship, you want a good enough QB2 so the season doesn't fall apart if he has to step in. We're not at a level where going from a 10+ win season to an 8 win season is a failure. Dropping from championship contender to a winning season is disappointing but not terrible.

I'd much rather start Jakhari if McCord gets injured and see what we have, than bring in another stop-gap Zach Maloney option to try to win 8 games instead of 7 games.

Especially with the transfer portal.

That's my point. We don't need another QB.

I'd much rather start Jakhari if McCord gets injured and see what we have, than bring in another stop-gap Zach Maloney option to try to win 8 games instead of 7 games.

Especially with the transfer portal.

That's my point. We don't need another QB.

The question is, if McCord goes down, are any of the backups good enough to get us to 8 wins.
Because if they're not, I'd like to get another transfer (maybe a JUCO) with at least 10 games of starters experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom