LeMoyne College exploring move to D1 | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

LeMoyne College exploring move to D1

You’d know better than I if I’m misreading the tea leaves. I remember Dr. Lemura saying something along the lines of doing this to raise profile, though.

I think that's certainly one of the potential benefits, but it's not the driving force behind the move.

Onondaga Country has grown in population the past 20 years. This narrative needs to change.

To be fair, the population of under 18 has certainly declined, which is what matters most to local colleges/universities, especially ones that pull the overwhelming majority of their students from within a 2-3 hour radius.

To be fair, the population of under 18 has certainly declined, which is what matters most to local colleges/universities, especially ones that pull the overwhelming majority of their students from within a 2-3 hour radius.
That’s happening in a lot of places. People have stopped having kids. Schools are also losing kids to trade schools, but with coming investment(Micron etc.) I wish people would stop pretending like it’s still 2002.

Last edited:
That’s happening in a lot of places. People have stopped having kids. Schools are also losing kids to trade schools, but with coming investment(Micron etc.) I wish people would stop pretending like it’s still 2002z

For sure, I'm just relaying what's been drilled into me for the past decade regarding shifting demographics related to the available pool of potential students in Upstate New York. It's not all bad news, but it is a reality. Le Moyne has been able to navigate it remarkably well. Other smaller schools - like Caz - have not been so fortunate.

If a school has the finances figured out and the opportunity to move up, they just about always should do it.

You will just have to deal with the idiots who will never stop telling you how bad of an idea it was.

By the way, my understanding is that this relaxing of required minimum scholarship spending by schools & universities during COVID became permanent, which is what really opened the door for a school like Le Moyne to be able to financially make the jump:

Onondaga Country has grown in population the past 20 years. This narrative needs to change.
I’m from Oswego County, which has shrunk 4% in the same time frame. My girlfriend during college was from Cayuga County, which has shrunk 7% in the same time frame. Lived with a guy from Oneida County, which is down 1.5% in the last 20 years. Etc.

For sure, I'm just relaying what's been drilled into me for the past decade regarding shifting demographics related to the available pool of potential students in Upstate New York. It's not all bad news, but it is a reality. Le Moyne has been able to navigate it remarkably well. Other smaller schools - like Caz - have not been so fortunate.
Hobart/William Smith has been dealing with decreased applications (enrollment?) for a while. Part of their strategy to deal with this is to add several athletics reams, including reinstating a baseball program that had been dropped ~20 years ago.

Let's hope Micron, etc will help change that.

It use to be that if a school wanted to go D1, all their sports had to be D1 level and there had to be a minimum number of them. I thought I remembered that the NCAA changed that rule. True?

It use to be that if a school wanted to go D1, all their sports had to be D1 level and there had to be a minimum number of them. I thought I remembered that the NCAA changed that rule. True?

Yes, there is a 14-sport minimum to compete at the D1 level:

That’s happening in a lot of places. People have stopped having kids. Schools are also losing kids to trade schools, but with coming investment(Micron etc.) I wish people would stop pretending like it’s still 2002.
Well, let’s see micron put up a wall before we call it a driver of growth. The economy is traveling in the wrong direction to make the micron investment certain to come to fruition (this isn’t anti-CNY sentiment, this is simply looking at the macroeconomic environment). Amazon halted the HQ2 project already for example.

Well, let’s see micron put up a wall before we call it a driver of growth. The economy is traveling in the wrong direction to make the micron investment certain to come to fruition (this isn’t anti-CNY sentiment, this is simply looking at the macroeconomic environment). Amazon halted the HQ2 project already for example.
You're wrong. It's a done deal. The chip industry is not retail.

For whatever it's worth, here's the population of the Syracuse metro area (which comprises Onondaga, Madison and Oswego counties) decade by decade. So technically it has grown over the past 50 years, but exceptionally slowly compared to most other parts of the country.

1683133566233.png

You're wrong. It's a done deal. The chip industry is not retail.
If you say so. Working at F500 companies has taught me that "invested" capital isn't real until its been converted into something tangible.

Last edited:
Amazon and Micron are two different companies and business profiles.

Semiconductor industry looks 5-10 years ahead for expansion.

Dan Tortora interviewed AD Bob Beretta today. Decision will be announced within 2 weeks if they are going D-1. They have to apply to the NCAA by June 1st for transition to start for 23-24 season.

By the way, I don't think it's a coincidence that Le Moyne hired an AD with 30+ years of D1 athletics experience.

Dan Tortora interviewed AD Bob Beretta today. Decision will be announced within 2 weeks if they are going D-1. They have to apply to the NCAA by June 1st for transition to start for 23-24 season.
No inside info exactly, but I heard something similar last week from a source that I believe is knowledgeable. The comment was that final details were being worked out before announcing, but they seemed pretty sure it was going to happen.