lesson from NBA All-Star Game | Syracusefan.com

lesson from NBA All-Star Game

stuckinbig11

All American
Taking a cue from the NBA regarding seriousness of the game, the MLB All-Star Game will now be slow-pitch softball, and the NFL all-stars will play two-hand touch.

Yeah. I’m not sure I’ve ever watched the NFL pro bowl.

MLB game is fine, but that’s entirely different. You can’t really play a functional baseball game while not trying as hard - save for avoiding running into walls or something.

Agreed across the board. Plus, baseball and basketball are sports where you can slap together a collection of non-teammates and still play a high quality game. Can't do that in football.

Last edited:
The nba allstar game last night was fairly entertaining.

Curry, the greek freak, lillard, Klay, Durant anda couple others are just on another level

Go watch the 1987 NBA All-Star game at the KingDome.
That is how NBA all-star game should be.
Fun, energetic, players faking defense for the first 3 quarter’s and then competitive in the 4th/OT.

It’s become so soft and unwatchable now. I haven’t watched more than minute since the game was in Phoenix however long ago that was.
The 2002 game in Atlanta with Jordan’s last year was entertaining as well.
The LeBron Era has killed the All-Star game as the guy is friends with the top players and the competitiveness in the game is long gone.

No one watching the 4th quarter last night can objectively walk away thinking they weren't competitive. Giving up their body on defense for an exhibition? No. But Lebron's team came back from 20 down because they wanted to win that game. And the look on Curry's and Russ's face after losing spoke to it, too.

The NBA all-star game is for entertainment, that's it. There's a little defense in 4th quarter if game is close. Can't compare NBA game to other sports. Last night's game had some fun to it with some crazy long 3s and a few wow plays, like when Steph bounced the ball high in the air for an awesome slam by the Greek Freak. It's entertainment.

No one watching the 4th quarter last night can objectively walk away thinking they weren't competitive. Giving up their body on defense for an exhibition? No. But Lebron's team came back from 20 down because they wanted to win that game. And the look on Curry's and Russ's face after losing spoke to it, too.
I could not bear watching more than two minutes of the first quarter.

I could not bear watching more than two minutes of the first quarter.

I only watched the 3rd and 4th quarter (casual drop in that we had a baby this weekend and I had to wait until mom was asleep to turn the channel). But I was highly entertained. To Alsacs point, though, the games have been pretty crappy for years. I think the "captains choose" wrinkle has been solid. And the NBA All Star game is more about the entire weekend, anyhow. Showcasing the younger and international players is always cool, imo.

Go watch the 1987 NBA All-Star game at the KingDome.
That is how NBA all-star game should be.
Fun, energetic, players faking defense for the first 3 quarter’s and then competitive in the 4th/OT.

It’s become so soft and unwatchable now. I haven’t watched more than minute since the game was in Phoenix however long ago that was.
The 2002 game in Atlanta with Jordan’s last year was entertaining as well.
The LeBron Era has killed the All-Star game as the guy is friends with the top players and the competitiveness in the game is long gone.

Disagree a little. The last 2 years the games are more competitive. I think guys legit want to win now. At least when you get to the end. Before the last 2 years, it was harder for me to watch. I enjoyed what I saw last night though, after the wrestling was over of course

I only watched the 3rd and 4th quarter (casual drop in that we had a baby this weekend and I had to wait until mom was asleep to turn the channel). But I was highly entertained. To Alsacs point, though, the games have been pretty crappy for years. I think the "captains choose" wrinkle has been solid. And the NBA All Star game is more about the entire weekend, anyhow. Showcasing the younger and international players is always cool, imo.
congrats on the youngin!

congrats on the youngin!

Thank you kindly! I know it's an odd thing to just slide into a post, but my new little future Orange is worth the lack of humility. My only slightly older other future Orange has had the...pleasure?...of both his first hoop and first season watching Cuse sports this year.

Disagree a little. The last 2 years the games are more competitive. I think guys legit want to win now. At least when you get to the end. Before the last 2 years, it was harder for me to watch. I enjoyed what I saw last night though, after the wrestling was over of course

I think the fact that players pick the teams has added to some competitiveness. That, and the top end of each conference is evening out, too.

Thank you kindly! I know it's an odd thing to just slide into a post, but my new little future Orange is worth the lack of humility. My only slightly older other future Orange has had the...pleasure?...of both his first hoop and first season watching Cuse sports this year.
Haha it man, it's a beautiful thing! More worthy of being shared than most things on my list. (As my 10 month old daughter starts yelling at me for a bottle).

I get no playing regular season defense but these team don’t even try to play any defense.
It’s boring.
If the final score was in the 130s okay but these games shouldn’t be in 170s-180s.

I think the fact that players pick the teams has added to some competitiveness. That, and the top end of each conference is evening out, too.

Somewhat related to that, if they still had the conference alignments, the west starting 5 would've been Steph/Harden/Lebron/George/Durant; maybe the best starting 5 in AS history?

I get no playing regular season defense but these team don’t even try to play any defense.
It’s boring.
If the final score was in the 130s okay but these games shouldn’t be in 170s-180s.

Last year was 148-145; I watched most of that one, teams were very into it.
Last night was a little closer to the years prior, for sure.

I think the 2 bottom vote getters should chose up sides.

Somewhat related to that, if they still had the conference alignments, the west starting 5 would've been Steph/Harden/Lebron/George/Durant; maybe the best starting 5 in AS history?

to me, without question

Haha it man, it's a beautiful thing! More worthy of being shared than most things on my list. (As my 10 month old daughter starts yelling at me for a bottle).

Ha, yeah, And at 3 days old, this lil lady is calling all the shots. I'm screwed. Also, your avi is amazing.

It’s boring.

Yeah, seeing the scores framed that way, it's a bit obscene. On the flip side, I think every player in the game was cozy shooting at 30+ feet. I was marveling at some of those shots. I obviously started thinking about the shelf life of playing zone exclusively, but won't muck up the thread with that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom