Lester Munson Weighs In | Syracusefan.com

Lester Munson Weighs In

Pearl309

Hall of Fame
http://espn.go.com/espn/commentary/...110a/here-how-penn-state-fix-football-culture

I surprisingly agree with his points...

"
As the trustees attempt to reset the priorities of the university and its football program, here are some things they must do:
• Investigate the Second Mile Foundation. Founded by Sandusky in 1977, it allegedly provided him with a continuing supply of young boys. The foundation is not formally a part of the university, but it uses the school's facilities for its camps and is intertwined with the football program in numerous ways. Can the foundation be salvaged? Should it be shut down?
• Re-examine the investigation of another shower incident, this one in 1998. Why was no action taken after a probe by the police and a child welfare agency? What was the role, if any, of this incident in the "retirement" of Sandusky from the football staff in 1999?
• Examine the role of attorney Wendell Courtney, identified in the grand jury report, who was the university lawyer during the 1998 investigation and then moved to the Second Mile charity as its lawyer, where he served during Sandusky's alleged predations.
• Analyze the accounts of the victims described in the grand jury report (and of any additional alleged victims who come forward) to determine what staff members knew about Sandusky and these boys, and what the staff members did nor did not do about it. Determine if there is reason for any of these staff members to continue their employment with the university.
• Consider the cancellation of the football program for a period of at least two years. It might not be possible to establish a new culture without the total elimination of the old one. A two-year hiatus might be the only way to eliminate a systemic problem. How important is football to an institution of higher learning that serves 95,000 students and is supposed to be dedicated to the pursuit of excellence? When Tulane University was caught in a basketball point-shaving scandal in the mid-1980s, the university leadership eliminated the sport for several years to allow a complete renewal of values. When the U.S. Congress discovered a series of abuses in 2008 in its page program, which was designed to offer opportunities to young people, the members of Congress agreed to eliminate it altogether.
"

Having just read the grand jury report today, here's another question: Why did it take A WEEK AND A HALF for Curley and Schultz to talk to McQueary (after being told of the incident by Paterno)? What was more important over those ten days?

...good point...me thinks that perhaps we have not learned who was really covering this up as yet...seems strange that if it was Paterno, they would have gotten to McQueary faster

Having just read the grand jury report today, here's another question: Why did it take A WEEK AND A HALF for Curley and Schultz to talk to McQueary (after being told of the incident by Paterno)? What was more important over those ten days?

----------------

Good question. All the more reason why McQueary should have reported this to the police. How could he just sit around at that point? And if Joe P encouraged him to speak to Curley as the next step, did McQueary call Joe about this delay?

the more i've had to digest this the more i think it played out like:
MM - "Coach, I dont know how to say this but I walked in on Sandusky raping a defenseless child."
JoePa - "Keep your mouth quiet, I'll take care of it."

JoePa then goes to the AD and talks with them about what they already knew about Sandusky... and ladies and gentlemen we have a cover up at its conception. The reasons why are still unknown. Unless more than Sandusky was involved as the report from earlier today would suggest.

No chance in hell I believe JoePa goes to the AD and says "A GA told me he witnessed former Coach Sandusky doing something sexually inappropriate with a child, since he's no longer a football staff member, I figured I'd follow the chain of command to you for his disciplinary action."

The whole thing is maddening.